• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NEED HELP Theres a "jelly" looking substance on/in my soil

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Here is the photo, Its a jelly,slimy, looking substance on top of my soil this morning.

What is it?
will it kill my plants?
can i kill it?

007.jpg

What type of medium are you growing in?

I agree with above in that most likely they are water holding crystals that came from the potting mix(miracle gro moisture control?). But I have seen some in my yard in years past and I do not use this type of mix. Sometimes they can be sap pockets dropped from trees or even bug cocoons. But most likely just water holding materials.

looks like some kind of SAP, super absorbant polymer, the stuff found in diapers.
or a silica gell, the stuff i keep in my humidors will expand into geometric shapes like that when freshly wetted. when dry they are light weight white beads.

i suggest putting it inyour frige to desicate, then heating gently in an oven to see what it resemles when dry.

MG has that SAP (or similar product) in its moisture control mix as well as avail to purchase in resealable ziplocks so you can add it to whatever soil you like...
Anyway, i tried putting some from a bag in one end of my garden. I got distracted and not only put too much in but also failed to work it way down into the soil. We had a really heavy rain a couple nights later and i woke up to those lil blobs everywhere.... Everywhere! Rofl.... i have a pic of it somewhere. Those things all just pushed their way up to the surface!

Thanks everyone for the info, you guys are great. I LOVE THIS SITE and the folks that are part of it, I am so glad i found the hot pepper you guys rock.

Back