• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need help with first time row gardening.

In the past I have only used raised beds.  I am growing this season on a 36" wide patch of grass that was tilled and removed as much as I could.  I guarantee its not perfect though.  I want to do row gardening like I have seen on many farms.

Let me see if I have this right, because there is not any good info on the internet that I have found.  All the rows I have seen around are uncovered.

I want covered rows, unless there is a reason not to do this.

Pile dirt about 8-10" high to make 2 rows about 18 in apart.  Run drip irrigation lines to the desired planting locations.  Cover the entire thing with weed fabric or black plastic, and pin it down to follow the contour of the rows.  Cut x shaped holes to drop in plants.

Maybe mulch in the low spots on the sides of the rows, although I see no reason for this. 

Should keep any grass I missed from growing up, prevent weeds from getting in, help keep water were it is suppose to be, help prevent evaporation, and help keep soil borne diseases from splattering up on the lower leaves.

What am I missing here?

BlackMulch-250x187.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. I know stickman uses this stuff called solar mulch. It's suppose to be better than just black plastic sheeting.http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5448-solar-mulch-4-x-50.aspx

I'm growing in the ground for the first time this year as well. I'm probably going to use the solar-mulch. I just tilled and added some composted and non composted horse manure. I figured the plastic will keep the ground warm and weeds down. I want to run drip as well.
image.jpeg

May I add, that keeping the soil warm is the only concern I see with this approach.  Im in Savannah, GA, so I am a little afraid the soil might get too hot over the summer!  I am guessing that weed fabric is breathable enough that it shouldn't cause too much of an issue.

Scuba_Steve said:
May I add, that keeping the soil warm is the only concern I see with this approach.  Im in Savannah, GA, so I am a little afraid the soil might get too hot over the summer!  I am guessing that weed fabric is breathable enough that it shouldn't cause too much of an issue.
Thats something I should think about. I see some farms around here that use the plastic mulch. I'm in Colorado. High desert climate. It's dry all year round and will stay in the 90-100f for week's/month's at a time and even then it'll only drop to the upper 80's. The nights here are cold. It may be 90 in the day and 40f+ drop at night.

Scott uses a shade cloth for his grow in Texas. If I could afford it, I could use both. I think at lower elevations were the night and days are higher in the Summer, it could be a issue using the plastic mulch. Depending on if it's in full sun.

Another thing I was thinking about was, it could kill beneficial organisms, if the temps got to hot.

I was debating using fabric cloth for water retention and weed growth. Weed growth is my main concern.

Maybe someone will chime in the subject.

you can use white plastic if you are worried about heat.
black plastic is good for when you want to start early / keep soil warm for germination in march when it's still a bit chilly. also helps kill the stuff under the plastic as it lets no light through. the white plastic you can see a little  light through it still.
or panda plastic for best of both worlds.

you don't need stakes. just pile the dirt on the edges. farmers do this with discs on either side of the role of  plastic, i'm guessing you will do this by hand but same thing.

it's called plasticulture, lots of resources on youtube etc. here's one from my local university

juanitos said:
black plastic is good for when you want to start early / keep soil warm for germination in march when it's still a bit chilly. also helps kill the stuff under the plastic as it lets no light through. the white plastic you can see a little  light through it still.

you don't need stakes. just pile the dirt on the edges. farmers do this with discs on either side of the role of  plastic, i'm guessing you will do this by hand but same thing.

it's called plasticulture, lots of resources on youtube etc. here's one from my local university
Thank you. Much easier to find info now that I know the name! I just wish they sold panda in 4' widths. I am familiar with it though; I use it on my grow shelves.

juanitos said:

juanitos said:
Thank you for your response. I'm going to order some today.

Back