• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help need hot pepper relish recipe

I am looking for a relish recipe to try. Ihave canned quite a few jars of peppers (mostly ceranos and jalapenos ) and was looking for a recipe for a hot pickle relish. Any ideas of what to throw in? Thanks ....mark

Welcome to THP Mark...
Here is a recipe I used recently and was quite pleased with the results.
....of course you can substitute and use any pepper variety.

Datil Pepper Relish

Chop Fine:
1/2 cup seeded Datil peppers.
1 medium onion
1 medium bell pepper
2 cloves garlic

In a LARGE pot, mix:
1 pint of cider vinegar
1 pint ketchup
3 Tablespoons of sugar
1 Teaspoon of salt

Blend well and add the chopped ingredients

Bring to a boil while stirring gently

Simmer as low as possible for about 40-45 minutes until thickened

Reduces to about 1/3 to 1/2 when thick enough.

Boil jars and add hot mix to the shoulder of the jar.

Keep in refrigerator or process in a hot water for 10 minutes

This recipe sounds good. How many pints does this make? I'm thinking I'll scale to about 5x that much, so I need to know if I have enough jars :)

Made one test batch, which made just at 2 pints -- I used Aji Lemon peppers instead of Datils.

Second batch, which used the rest of my peppers -- around 200 of them -- I modified slightly. Cut the ketchup from 1:1 with vinegar to 2:1 vinegar:ketchup. Also added cumin, garlic and smoked paprika. Made 12 pints of the second batch.

Went over well at work today!

I ended up making some relish and it came out real well. Since I had quite a variety of peppers I decided to use most all of them.I used bell,sweet banana,poblano,hungarain hot,jalapeno,cayenne,serrano,super chile,habanero and a few others. It was quite the mix.I used alot more of the hotter varieties than the sweet.I chopped up all the peppers in the food processor and then chopped up around half as much onion and a good amount of fresh garlic and some kosher salt.I put it in a large pan and added apple cider vinegar up to the top. I brought the mix up to a boil. As i was doing this I tasted a few times and added more habaneros.Then I put the mix in clean jars and water bathed for 15 min.The relish came out much better than I would have ever expected. I ended up with 22 jelly jars and 3 pint jars. It does have a pretty good bite to it, but the heat is not overpowering.It's great in scrambled eggs, awesome on hot dogs and even went into a meatloaf. After giving some to friends and now they want more I think I try this again...Mark

[sub]i have a recipe for jalapno relish it is like a bread and butter flavor with a nice little kick if u would like the recipe let me know it is one of the best i found [/sub]
[sub]bricke[/sub]

enter in the search engine WILD BRAZIL PEPPER RELISH (its in this thread)

the peppers you use in it are flexable
you can use your favorite and not necsisarily the ones i listed
hope it helps thanks your friend Joe

Back