• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Need ideas

Hey everyone,
I have been a member her for years but due to life and moving and traveling etc I haven't been here in awhile. I use to grow quite a few varieties in the super hot realm (naga, t scorps, 7's). Anyway, the reason I am here is to get some ideas on some sauces. I'll browse this section but always love input.

I've got these varieties coming tomorrow from cross country nurseries: fatalli, naga jolokia, 7 pot, and reaper. I'm not afraid of heat but also love good flavor. So let me know what you think.

Thanks, Southernyooper

I am very interested in this as well. A friend has Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion peppers growing right now and no idea what to do with them so I said I'd make him sauce. I've never used peppers this hot, but was thinking a super simple but concentrated sauce cut with vinegar in an eye dropper bottle could be fun.

ETA: Pics are always fun  :fireball:

Trinidad%20Chocolate%20Scorpion_zpssmdinvsz.jpg

Carolina%20Reaper_zpscfqydxlo.jpg

i think simplicity will be a good starting point. are you looking to ferment to just fire up a batch with acidity from another source?

regardless, something with carrot/onion/garlic would probably suffice and using a fairly mild vinegar like rice vinegar will keep it from being too 'tabasco-y'. i think with those peppers a simple combo will be pretty hot, but you could add a lot of onion/carrot to add bulk and thin it out a bit with the liquids (and don't be afraid to use some water to thin also). salt added to flavor, or a 5% brine has always worked well for me in ferments.

Back