• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Need some advices about beef jerky

Tomorrow i will try to make some beef jerky. I have never done it before or even taste it. But i like dried meat.

So i have been googling and checking some on thp. But i still need some advices i like medium hot like Jalapeño hot i love salt and garlic.

So anyone wanna shear a recipe.

I have the basic things at home. Like Liquid smoke, soya, onion powder, sea salt.
And 1 kg of fine meat. Fresno and Jalapeño i will def use for one batch.
But as this is the first time i will try to split it up in 4. So what more should i use?
Maybe some inca red drop will be good? or shold i mix De arbol and some Nagas?
All tips are welcome i dont mind if one batch gets a bit "HOT" ;)

I have those chili's to cook with:

Jalapeño
Naga morich
Dorset naga
Fresno
Hot lemon
Savina
Champion
Aji amarillo
Aji habanero
De arbol
7pot
T.Scorp morouga
Inca red drop

How are ya cooking the jerky? I do mine in the oven and it works out great!

I start by slicing the meat into large thin pieces and placing them on newspaper to dry - Next i use a dry seasoning and coat both sides on the meat then take it off the newspaper and put it in a plastic bag and let it marinate overnight. The next day i get 2 large cookie sheets and place 2 large cooling racks inside them then place the marinated meat on the racks making sure not to overlap the jerky.

I turn the oven to 175F to 200F (no more then 200F) and put the meat in the top racks of the oven - Next place a large wooden spoon in the oven door to keep it open a crack depending on how dry you like the jerky is up to you but for the first hour you don't need to check on it at all after that be sure to give it a bend test every 15 to 20 minutes until the desired dryness is reached.

Good luck with the jerky i want pictures of the final product! :drooling:

Get a large bottle of Soy sauce and cover the meat slices in soy and a spoonful of brown sugar and some fresh chopped chiles. Let marinate several hours to overnight and then place them in the dehydrator. My favorite meat to dehydrate is turkey, peels like string cheese and the heat soaks right in, no need to dry rub. I don't like using black pepper when drying, leaves specks all over the jerky.

Thanks for the tips.

I will use oven, and i think i will use Jalapenos and Rocoto, Red Peruvian.

Its my first time doing this so it could end up very bad but also very good ;)

Will take pictures before and after ;)

PRF: I never thought of use bird meat now thats something for next time.

How do you guys think some roe meat would work out to make some jerky of? Or is it better to just salt and smoke such nice and tasty meat?
I shoot one last night, so thats why i ask.

I'd start out on the mild side and adapt your recipe from there. Its easy to make hot jerky, not so easy to get just the right heat and flavor. I too usually do the soy or teriyaki type marinade but I like to make mine in the cold-smoker, and my favorite is usually goose jerky. I also cure with some sodium nitrite since I'm smoking using low temperatures and in anaerobic conditions.
Try doing a site search for jerky, theres already many threads here on this topic

POTAWIE, so i did kinda.

I made 4 batches 250gr meat per batch.
1kg meat
Ground marinade
1dl soy
a bit of garlic
2tb liquid smoke
1tb brow sugar
some vinegar
and ½tb black pepper.

i splitted it up in 4 ways and mixed the chilis

One i had 3 jalapenos (red ones)

One i had ½ red purvan

one with 5 inca red drops

one with 2x De arbol + 1 Aji cristal (C.Annuum) similar to hungarian hot wax a bit hotter and bigger.

First time so prolly wont be that tasty but if so it can only get better! we will know in 2-3days!

POTAWIE, so i did kinda.

I made 4 batches 250gr meat per batch.
1kg meat
Ground marinade
1dl soy
a bit of garlic
2tb liquid smoke
1tb brow sugar
some vinegar
and ½tb black pepper.

i splitted it up in 4 ways and mixed the chilis

One i had 3 jalapenos (red ones)

One i had ½ red purvan

one with 5 inca red drops

one with 2x De arbol + 1 Aji cristal (C.Annuum) similar to hungarian hot wax a bit hotter and bigger.

First time so prolly wont be that tasty but if so it can only get better! we will know in 2-3days!

Its in the oven now will know in 3h how it went.... interesting ;)
Was to lazy to take a picture but will do on the final product

Ok heres a pic

2010_09_08_2152.jpg

The beef jerky was good! I never tested it before so i cant say if its GOOD or just ok.

But i liked it, culd been a bit hotter. I used fresh chili and i dident mix it just shopped it up.
For none chili heads i think the heat is just about right. So am sure my family will love it tommrow.

But next time i will use a bit thicker slices of meat and some more salt and mix the chili in a mixer before or use powder.

My fav was the de arbol.

Now my stomach hurts i eat alot of this!! HAHA ;)

//Oscar

Looks like good stuff im glad ya like it for your first try!

Had to make a new batch of my own after viewing your post turned out not bad sprinkled on some trinidad scorpion power on some pieces was nice and warm. :dance:

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

Looks nice but you just used powder? How was it?
I really liked the flavor of some of the meat (where it was some chili on) So if i mix it in the blender before i think the chilis i used will just suit me perfect heat wise!

I do have some T.Scorpions M blend.. that i gonna make powder of but that is waaay to hot for me ;)

I use 5% ground meat, or grind my own venison, mix with prepackaged seasoning, kick it up a notch or three with Naga powder, use a jerky shooter and dry in the dehydrator. Quick and easy and makes great jerky.

Never used the jerky gun or ground meat but it sounds like it would make real tender jerky and the dehydrator would be a lot cheaper on the hydro bill.

I used to add jolokia powder to the meat before drying, but the drying process seemed to reduce the heat. Now I just sprinkle a little powder over the jerky after it's done, super hot and uses less than half of what I used to.

Potawie mentioned this upthread, but it bears repeating... goose jerky is awesome stuff. I've made it in the smoker and in the over. Both are delicious, though the smoker is probably more efficient. Maybe have to make some this weekend.

Here's mine that I made.
It was awesome, I'll have to do it again sometime.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/blog/17/entry-24-beef-jerky/#comments

I used to make jerky all the time when I was on Active Duty, great to take to the field. I used a ready made marinade called Allegro and added powered jalapeno's or Habinero's to it. If the meat is about half frozen it makes cutting thin pieces really easy. Let it marinade for 24 hours and then it went into a small electric smoker. I've smoked jerky with Mesquite, Pecan, Walnut and Apple wood. The smoker I had used like sawdust in a little pan that went on the electric burner. Jerky came out with a really great taste. I had to take 2 bags with me to the field. One to share and one for me.

Cheers

Back