• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need some help.

Just pulled a bunch of sprouted seeds that I had in tray with a heat mat under neath. Planted them in pellet pods. Wondering what is the best method. Leave them in the tray or I have a green house set up outside. Always had a hard time with the green house with either killing my seedlings which had true leaves already formed due to too much heat. Of lack of proper lighting. Outside greenhouse gets direct sun all day. Should I place it somewhere that gets minimum direct sun?Last time they were in the heat of the summer but now much cooler. I'm based out of Los Angeles and the temp here today was in the 70's. Inside the tray they were a lot warmer. Only thing us the tray is beyond full now.

Options 1. Go out and invest into another heat mat.
Option 2. Put them outside I'm the green house and hope they break the surface.

What do the pros have to say??

option 1, they don't need a heat mat at all just room temp or warmer is fine after they have sprouted 70-90f is perfect
option 2, yeah you can move it to partial shade spot if you have one. also make sure the temp doesn't get above 100 for a long time(during the day). (open the flap everyday, cut a small vent in the top, idc).

Heat mat untill they sprout. Them off the mat and under lights untill they get a few leaves. Direct/any sun should be avoided for a little while. They will burn. If you want them in the green house heat is ok but UV from the sun will screw them up unless you harden them off. The sun exposure needs to be real gradual. Try 15 minutes one day, half hour the next. Work them into it.

I usually wait untill they get a few real good leaves before I get them into any real sun. They are to much like my children to let them get sun burned.

The morning sun is milder than the midday to late sun so I make sure mine get that good morning sun and if it gets too bad I shade them later in the day.

juanitos said:
option 1, they don't need a heat mat at all just room temp or warmer is fine after they have sprouted 70-90f is perfect
option 2, yeah you can move it to partial shade spot if you have one. also make sure the temp doesn't get above 100 for a long time(during the day). (open the flap everyday, cut a small vent in the top, idc).
Looks like I'm buying another heat mat. Thanks brother.
Rymerpt said:
Heat mat untill they sprout. Them off the mat and under lights untill they get a few leaves. Direct/any sun should be avoided for a little while. They will burn. If you want them in the green house heat is ok but UV from the sun will screw them up unless you harden them off. The sun exposure needs to be real gradual. Try 15 minutes one day, half hour the next. Work them into it.
I usually wait untill they get a few real good leaves before I get them into any real sun. They are to much like my children to let them get sun burned.
Yeah that the way I grew my other plants. Heat mat then lights and after roots came out of the 1 gallon pot I transferred them outdoors.
And I had my fair share of plants dying off because of direct sunlight just needed more info. Put them in the greenhouse today but guess I'm buying another heat mat. My mat is beyond full. No room what so ever. I'm Evan using the top of it yo try and heat some pods. Guess I should of bought one sooner. Thanks for your quick reply.
sirex said:
The morning sun is milder than the midday to late sun so I make sure mine get that good morning sun and if it gets too bad I shade them later in the day.
Thanks for the input gonna move the greenhouse to the side of my house. Got a couple seedlings with true leaves . Hope they make it thru the week. Trail and error. Need to test out the greenhouse plus expecting it to rain the next two days. Check on it this weekend. Thanks guys.

bucdout57 said:
Looks like I'm buying another heat mat. Thanks brother.
Yeah that the way I grew my other plants. Heat mat then lights and after roots came out of the 1 gallon pot I transferred them outdoors.WAIT WHAT 
i said you don't need a heatmat lol! 

i meant 70-90 was good for indoors at room temp.
outdoors temp fluctuations 40-100 are fine, although the temps outside of the pefect temp may make them grow a little slower it's fine.

temps in LA looks just fine 50-75 is ok. just put in small greenhouse (i'm guessing what you have) in half shade, beats having to pay electricity or lights. you should be able to grow year round outside..

guessing u have something liek this?
image_13076.jpg

Back