• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Need some thoughts on my current/first overwinter.

So I transplanted a little late I think. Our first frost hit 2 days ago and after the frost I decided to try and over winter the plant.  I cut it down from about 1 meter to about 1/4 meter. And trimmed up the sides and left any new leaves that are connected to the main stalk. My worry is that it went through a frost and the leaves wilted and are dark green and look like they are dying. Is this a lost cause? I have it in a small pot now after I pruned the plant and its roots. It's sitting in a room at about 65F with 2 T5 40w bulbs overhead at about 2 feet away. 

Will it survive or is it even possible after that first frost?

Thanks guys.

Leaves are the first thing a plant drops when it's stressed, and frost definitely stresses chile plants. However, "stressed" does not mean the plant is dead. Go ahead and remove the leaves and keep watering it and feeding it, though not as often as when it's in-season. Keeping it cool helps keep it dormant. Like with all plants indoors, get a fan on it. This both helps keep the stems strong and also helps prevent soil fungi from forming. 

It should be fine, the first frost generally isn't enough to freeze the roots.  I would prune off the dead leaves (this also helps control any aphids that may have survived the frost).  Under lights like that you will probably see new leaves forming in around a week.  I just keep mine barely hanging on so they get a cup of water once a week to keep them from drying out too much.  I'm not personally interested in full production from my overwinters, I have other indoor plants for that.

I did my first overwinter last year.  All the leaves dropped off after I cut back the root ball and plants.  I kept watering them (every couple weeks) with a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide.  The stalks stayed green throughout the winter and when spring came they started sprouting leaves.  Once they were moved outside they went nuts and produced tons of peppers.

-Alden

you can check to see if any branches are dead or damaged from the frost the leaves will be the first to go then the branches,  in a day or so pick out a branch that looks the worse for wear and rub the stem between your thumb and fourth finger if the skin comes off the stem its dead,  if it does you will want to check the others and the main trunk to see if the skin/bark of the trunk comes off, the plant is dead.
Having said that usually the first bit of frost will just kill the leaves which will regrow but will be somewhat smaller,  keep your eyes open for any aphids or mealy bugs that might be hiding as they will infest and kill a weaken plant and will infest other plants also. If you see any spay them with insecticidal soap or a mild anti fungal pesticide as they will quickly get out of control.
I usually cut back on the plants I want to keep about a month before first frost and move them to the pot you want to use for the winter months, I will usually put them in fairly small pots with fast draining soil mix this keeps them from getting root rot I also spray the soil and plant with a 3 to 1 mix of water and peroxide and I would buy a bottle of superthrive and mix a drop or to in the water you use to water the plants. This will help them get over the shock of transplanting and will help keep them healthy during the winter months.

Back