• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need volunteers

I wouldn't mind trying but my taste buds are shot. that is quite a list there, I have tried a few that you have. I hope you can get enough people to do a grow and try out for you. Lots of Luck.
George W. :)

You have someone who can do the tasting for you?

So far in the Northern Hemisphere we have:

RedtailForester
Hot Pooper
TheAlaskan324
polarbearforge
Eephus Man
Datil Patch
hixs

Could use at least one more from up here and I have a couple from down under if necessary. I'll be back home on Tuesday so hopefully I'll get them in the mail then. I'm in cloudy Pensacola now. Well at least I have sand and waves for a couple more days. :)

If you haven't sent me your address yet please do so. Thanks.

Hey would love to get in.You only have taste buds ONCE! Let me know if I can help and enjoy. Rich

Do you need for us to make isolated seeds of all the peppers?

I would like 5 isolated pods from each type, not necessarily each plant. So you wouldn't even have to isolate the whole plant, just 5 pods. The best way to do that is before the bud opens, carefully cut off the petals. That will keep insects off of the bud, then get an antler from one of the other flowers off the plant and pollinate it.

Seeds sent out today to the U.S. volunteers. Looking forward to your reports in the fall. Good luck with the seeds!

Thanks! I will keep you posted. I will also take some pics along the way. All the way from being planted, to being eaten. lol

Thanks! I will keep you posted. I will also take some pics along the way. All the way from being planted, to being eaten. lol

You know I didn't put that in the instructions, but if everyone wanted to take a picture of the plant with the id and then some pictures of the ripe peppers with a ruler and the id I could submit them as well.

ex.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dispimage.pl?243501
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dispimage.pl?244880

Ok well then I have to kick the plants out of 1 of the 5 green houses.Thanks for giving me a reason to TAKE CHARGE! Damn veggies keep taking over! lol 30 x 200 ought to work. Rich

Guillaume, I just got the seed in tact and lookin' good. Thank you.

A few questions:

11 varieties, right?

Are these known varietals that we're doing blind testing on, or something 'new'? No big deal either way, but just curious.

There's no reason to grow all the seed, right? I intend on attempting germination on about six seeds per, and then babying any plants I can get transplanted.

213916 C. chi. early? Really? An early chinense? ;)

Guillaume, I just got the seed in tact and lookin' good. Thank you.

A few questions:

11 varieties, right?

Are these known varietals that we're doing blind testing on, or something 'new'? No big deal either way, but just curious.

There's no reason to grow all the seed, right? I intend on attempting germination on about six seeds per, and then babying any plants I can get transplanted.

213916 C. chi. early? Really? An early chinense? ;)

Most of them don't have names. They're only have simple numbers attached to them. You plug in the numbers at http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html to see what research has been done on them. The research we are doing on them has not been done or published according to my best information. They are probably related to known varieties.

You don't have to germinate all the seed. Just enough to get you some pods to sample and send to 4 others, powder to test for you and 4 others and a sample of a simple fermented sauce for you and 4 others. And 4 isolated dry pods for me. There should be 10 seeds in each packet. Who knows what the germination rate is on them. But you figure how many plants you need to do the work. You can save the rest of the seeds for later. I would attempt to germinate at least 5 seeds. But really go ahead and germinate them all and use the best for growing. You always harvest more seeds. But mostly I want the work done, so use your best judgment as to how much you need to grow to do it.

Good morning hot stuff...
Got my seeds yesterday...and all is well.
I'm really excited about participating in your project....and looking forward to the upcoming tasks.
Thanks for the opportunity!

I may have some "technique" related questions for you sometime down the road...
For example... your description for isolating the pods:

"....The best way to do that is before the bud opens, carefully cut off the petals. That will keep insects off of the bud, then get an antler from one of the other flowers off the plant and pollinate it...."

(a close up photo or two would be very helpful....know of any posted on THP?)

Another way is to simply put some muslin or other breathable but tight weave cloth over the buds and hand pollenate them and keep the cover on them until they form fruits or drop the petals.

I thought there was some pictures of it being done somewhere here on thp. I'll take a second look.

Back