event Needin Bubba again

Hey Bubba,
CASI sanctioned ccokin off again this year, this Saturday to be exact...... Sucked with the casi red last year. little help???? please.

hillbilly!!!! i was given some advise and i have no idea if i gave it to ya last year or not...so why not repeat myself....1st of all stick a horse shoe up your tail....nah just kidding...to me chili is 50 percent good recipe and 50 percent luck.
1 thing i would look at as it pertains to your recipe is quality quality spices...i use pendry and mild bills....i think if you google or www.mildbills.com will get you there....pendry's is probably pendrys dot com .....or google.
if you cut meat i use a cut called mock tender it cooks up nice and tender for me.
oh between each stir of your pot you have to chug a beer
over the years i have heard so many things.....add coffee add chocolate..
something i like to do is "prepare my cup" i take some spring water boit it really good and rinse out my cup that i turn my chili in with..that and i take a little chili and swirl it around to try and get the styrophome tase out of the cup......told yall as it pertains to chili that im a nut case.
please let me know how it gose my twin brother from a different mother.

other brother, from another mother! Thanks Buuba, I'll be givin er hell this weekend. Went down to Musso's farms (pueblo) today and got stocked up on the chili's and veggie's. be pickin up the meat tomorrow. not going for the coarse grind this year tho. Think that was bed last year?? Not so worried about mt green........but the red scares the sh*t out of me. hey it's legal to make red from home with beans and share with all for fun isnt it?

Ok my red was awesome (my opinion) this year and the folks loved it, wanted more of it. The judges thought otherwise. didnt place 1st thru 10th and I struggle with that. coming to the conclusion that the CASI red if not made to the exact standard and color or "CASI red" is not considered chili. grrrrr.
My green took third with the judges and I was told that color is the only thing that kept it from first place. Real green chili is not leaf green. struggling with that too. My Green did win people choice again this year, 3 out of four years:).
So I'm way happy with that. Still had an awesome time, slammed massive quantities of brew and met a ton of cool folks. Gonna enter the Pueblo Chili and Frijole festival here Sept 22nd.

don't want to sound bad but i have started to not listen to the crowd i actualy had a pot of chili i burned the ever living snot out of everyone was saying it tasted good. i have several people that come to my cook offs that give it to me straight. there is a ics cook off next month with green chili i have never tried green chili and i am looking forward to trying green chili.

Bubba, you are a big dude with a badge.....nobody in their right mind is gonna tell you your chili suck bro:lol: at least not strangers.

Thanks Marco! My Green recipe is posted in my profile and it is awesome. Give it a whirl. Not sure about the availability of chili's back east, but I know there are places in NM that ship frozen chili's roasted and peeled in a 5lb blocks of pure bliss:)
Speakin of NM....The Hatch festival is this weekend, never made it down there, but would love to.

man you will not belive the month i have in september...im going the first week to tyler texas for the great peppers meeting the next weekend to the outerbanks of north carolina for a cook off and then to tanglewood for a cook off and then in coolemee near where i live for a cook off.....im gonna be one wooped pup when this is all said and done.

Hey Hillbilly, Just keep pluggin. You're scoring and that means a lot!

I was at a ICS contest and came in "who the hell knows where". My mom and I went into the judges tent to check scores and taste the winners, and I swear on my life one of the final table chili's was a dead ringer for my own. I was nowhere to be found, and the dead ringer chili sat there pretty as a picture on the final table. It's a total crap shoot is what it is. Whatever prelim table you get on determimes tha entire outcome of your day.

As long as you are scoring here and there with the green and enjoying the beers you'll find yourself on the finals table eventually. Continued luck!

Hey Bubs, good luck this month! I have been slaving over the grill and steam table in the "hell-like" heat and do not know if I will be able to cook in any of the events this month.

Thanks Chiliman,
One of the judges came by my booth later and ask if he could sample my green and after he tried it he called his wife over to get some too and he told me he just wanted to put a face to the "only" chili that he has ever given a perfect 10 to:)
Felt like a winner there for sure. I know it's all about the day, the folks, the fun, the brews and of course the charities involved, and with that in mind... all involved are winners. :drooling:

I take my hat off to anyone who can cook up a strong green chili. I tried it once and what came out was by no means chili. It was kinda grey/brown and weird, BUT it was tasty in its own way. My wife and I decided to call it "brown pork chili soup".

I had a similiar incident at the Durham cook off with a judge , though he didn't say the "perfect 10" part. He was just looking for the fabulous chili he had and found it with me. Feels gooooooooooooooood!

the one thing i love getting is a peoples choice award. i cam in 3rd in judging and got the peoples choice award...man now that feels good.

Right on chiliman and good job with the judge. we gotta take those bones when ever thrown em our way.
I bet your green soup/chili was fine. I think a real green batch comes out......greenish/brown. maybe even on the red side, depending on the tomatoes. Seen one guy a couple years ago put soooo much cilantro in his "Green Cilantro" that it was beautiful in color but it wasnt greenchili!!! He placed higher than me, with the judges tho.

Had a couple come to my booth this year and the wife said "wow your chili is spicy" I agreed and offered her a tortilla to help cool down. Her hubby says " hot ppsst? give me some" (Now the cookoff is in a place that I would consider yuppyville) So i dished him out some chili and offered him one of my happy little orange peppers as well....He slammed the chili and popped that happy little habie in his pie-hole and started chompin. I took my hat off to him at that point and delighted in watching him try and hold his composure as his wife and kids looked on. He did real good for a few few moments and after the attention left him....I swear I could see satan in his eyes, he couldnt talk, his daughter was asking him something and he was grabbing his wifes water bottle. Thought he was gonna jump out of his Jesus sandals and sh*t in his khaki shorts:lol: way fun to watch him walkin away with no vocal cords. One of the great moments of a cookoff. Hats still off to him tho...he did walk away. lol

Back