• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nee's first pepper season. (Australia) Pics, vids & banter.. yey! \\(^o^)//

Hi all! Although i've been into hot sauces / chillies for a long time, a Google regarding "growing chillies in Australia" led me to this site......and onto amazing people here in Australia, who have inspired me to grow my own!
There's not a lot to report as of yet, but here's my story so far! Please feel free to give advice to a newbie, as i really want this human vs chilli relationship to work out!

The story so far....

Pre-soaking my chilli seeds. I have 14 or more varieties to sow: From top left to bottom right....

Habanero Chocolate
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bhut Jolokia
Macedonian
Pimenta da Neyde
Magnum Habanero
7 Pod Jonah

Habanero White Giant
Hot Fish
Cili Goronong
7 Pod Red crossed Yellow
Manzano
Fatalii
Habanero White JellyBean

429184_10150709710846815_512806814_11810990_1071664776_n.jpg

Cutting the seeds from a Yellow 7 Pod....this time with GLOVES!! lol I have a load of extra seeds saved...just in case the winter grow doesn't work out, and i need to replant in the spring.
icon_smile.gif

430242_10150713853211815_512806814_11823775_1936088613_n.jpg

Week 1....seeds are in a propagator, kept at a constant 25 degree's thanks to the cable modem it's sat on! I don't expect any change for 4 weeks or so....fingers crossed!
429053_10150713858641815_512806814_11823787_310071790_n.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll see what i can do with the fans... Might have to do a test first to see how much noise they'd make, as the plants are located right outside the kids room.
Also, regarding the amount of light, even though they are only under the lights for 12 hours, they then go in the kitchen window in the morning...so they're getting at least 20 hours of combined fake / natural light.

Thanks guys. I'll see what i can do with the fans... Might have to do a test first to see how much noise they'd make, as the plants are located right outside the kids room.

Only 30db Nee, and use only 0.3a (12v) plus they kick out a decent flow of air (1800rpm), and just $3.17 (free shipping)

They would make even less noise if you had it controlled to a lower speed.

$(KGrHqQOKpkE4nKyMig!BOL97Rvo1Q~~_12.JPG

Mezo.

OK, not a huge update, but just to say that my plants seem to be doing pretty badly at the moment.
They're still alive, but when i see pics of other peoples plants looking all nice and healthy, it does make me wish spring would be here already so i stand a better chance at this..lol
I've tried not watering for 5 days as it was possible that i was overwatering / tried adding calcium / raising the flourescent lights / lowering them.....and still they look a bit sad, yellow & lifeless.

You never know...they might start looking healthy again!

Oh, and i've had a Fatali and Bhut Jolokia Assam sprout, which is a positive i guess!

529727_10150774723246815_512806814_12040779_1656048935_n.jpg

532671_10150774723361815_512806814_12040780_752676395_n.jpg

540109_10150774723476815_512806814_12040781_2026797264_n.jpg

527014_10150774723606815_512806814_12040782_1990232660_n.jpg

Cheers!

Nice glog, I'm testing out the title of the "Sunshine State" for it's ability to grow over winter. I think it's a good idea documenting it because when i originally came on here it was to see if someone had much success up here over winter because I'm new to the area. Hows the lighting arrangement going to go when the plants get bigger?

Reactions: nee
Try to get the 16-18 hours of light as well and you will see a massive increase in growth I would bet.

Yeah, isn't a 12/12 cycle is for forcing flowering?
Your plants may not be ready for that yet.

Hi Paul!
You might have missed my reply to this...but my plants are under lights for 12 hours overnight, and then when i get up in the morning they are placed on a sunny windowsill, which then gives them around another 8 or 9 hours of daylight....so they get a total of at least 20 hours in every 24 hours.
I guess where my plants are concerned, there's not enough hours in the day.... lol

Nice glog, I'm testing out the title of the "Sunshine State" for it's ability to grow over winter. I think it's a good idea documenting it because when i originally came on here it was to see if someone had much success up here over winter because I'm new to the area. Hows the lighting arrangement going to go when the plants get bigger?

Hi Peakey! Im hoping that by the time the plants outgrow the lighting area, it will be getting warmer...or at least warm enough to just leave them in the window area full time, until the weather properly picks up.
We'll have to see! It's my first try at growing, so i've not really thought it through that much...although now they're going i desperately want to keep them alive!! If all else fails, i'll restart in the Spring...but i just thought it would be cool to give it a try over the winter, as a little project to while away the dark evenings :)

A quarter amp computer fan makes hardly any noise. The half amp ones are a bit louder.
If you know a computer hardware geek, they probably have a fan laying around.
That's where I got mine!

Hi Peakey! Im hoping that by the time the plants outgrow the lighting area, it will be getting warmer...or at least warm enough to just leave them in the window area full time, until the weather properly picks up.
We'll have to see! It's my first try at growing, so i've not really thought it through that much...although now they're going i desperately want to keep them alive!! If all else fails, i'll restart in the Spring...but i just thought it would be cool to give it a try over the winter, as a little project to while away the dark evenings :)

Yeah it's my first time too and i understand the eagerness to start early (I had to join up here so I could stop chewing the GF's ear off though I think now she is jealous). Only reason I was asking about light is because of the 4 or so months we have to endure before things pick up again is such a long time, and fingers crossed that after 4 months plants are quite large haha.

Yeah it's my first time too and i understand the eagerness to start early (I had to join up here so I could stop chewing the GF's ear off though I think now she is jealous). Only reason I was asking about light is because of the 4 or so months we have to endure before things pick up again is such a long time, and fingers crossed that after 4 months plants are quite large haha.

Yeah, i'm certainly hoping they'll be of a decent size by then!

Yeah, isn't a 12/12 cycle is for forcing flowering?
Your plants may not be ready for that yet.

Only for certain photosensitive plants, its called Photoperiodism (and even then there are exceptions like autoflowering types which will flower based on age regardless of light schedules due to breeding and evolution in colder climates like russia)

Its my understanding that most Chilli's flower based on climatic and physical parameters not light hours per-se (however increasing dark periods would make a plant believe it is entering Autumn/Winter and may trigger physical changes)

Hey Nee,

I went back through and didn't notice any info on fertz, are you adding any? It kinda looks to me like the plant in the front right of post #43 pic 1 is a little bit lacking in nitrogen, but it depends on what you're giving it.

2cm deep of water per cup seems a bit much to me also. Sounds like you cut back though, which is probably a good thing.

And what direction is that window facing? I guess north would be best in the southern hemisphere if south is best up here in the north.

Over all though, those babies are still looking pretty good! Keep it up! Love the grow shelf!

Love the grow shelf!

Its not a grow shelf its Nee`s patented ® Copyrighted © Trademarked ™ Indoor Vertical Wall Garden. :D

And whats with the new avatar Nee? i keep looking at it & it appears to be turning? ive not even had a chuff or dropped any acid. Must admit i liked the hampster in drag actually very english. :lol:

Did you see my post in Aussie blabers? the bucket thingy Nee?

A dollar a piece from Crazy Clarks, good size as well & there made out of tougher stuff than plant pots,
they even come in a nice choice of colours.

bucket.jpg

Mezo.

Hey Nee,

I went back through and didn't notice any info on fertz, are you adding any? It kinda looks to me like the plant in the front right of post #43 pic 1 is a little bit lacking in nitrogen, but it depends on what you're giving it.

2cm deep of water per cup seems a bit much to me also. Sounds like you cut back though, which is probably a good thing.

And what direction is that window facing? I guess north would be best in the southern hemisphere if south is best up here in the north.

Over all though, those babies are still looking pretty good! Keep it up! Love the grow shelf!
Thanks for the reply!
Yeah...i'm thinking the 2cm of water was my main mistake...and i guess even though i've stopped watering as much, it's going to take a bit of time for everything that's going to go yellow, to go yellow and get back on track. During my overwatering phase i did add some Miracle Gro tomato fert, which i have seen others post that it's a good thing to add...but then others say not to...confusion!! lol
I made sure there was no water left in the cups and didn't water for 4 days, then when i did water i disolved some garden lime in the water (i couldn't find calcium sulphate and the lady in bunnings said it was the next best thing for adding calcium). Then i left them for 4 days and have just sprayed the leaves with Epsom Salts.
The window they are in during the daytime is north-easterly...ideally north would be great, but we don't have a window facing that way.

Its not a grow shelf its Nee`s patented ® Copyrighted © Trademarked ™ Indoor Vertical Wall Garden. :D

And whats with the new avatar Nee? i keep looking at it & it appears to be turning? ive not even had a chuff or dropped any acid. Must admit i liked the hampster in drag actually very english. :lol:

A dollar a piece from Crazy Clarks, good size as well & there made out of tougher stuff than plant pots,

bucket.jpg

Mezo.

bucket.jpg

Mezo.

Hi Mezo!!
Yes mate...those buckets are a bargain!!! As far as i'm aware, we don't have Crazy Clarks in VIC? I've not seen one anyway...but will deffo be keeping my eyes open! And the avatar....hampster?? It's a rat isn't it? lol Either way, i already miss the dude...so he might be making a re-appearance sometime soon!!!

Neil

Hi everyone!
It's been ages since i've had anything remotely positive to say about my grow, so i haven't bothered!
Pretty much all of my plants are still stressed to the max....mainly due to overwatering?

I had a few more sprout, and have been going really steady with the watering. I saw Grant JR a week ago to get another 'hit' (more chilli sauce!) and he said he gives his plants about 20ml at the first stage....so i've been going with 20ml every 3 or 4 days, and have totally abandoned any attempts at bottom watering, its top only for me now! lol
In the pic below, the front 6 are the new ones that haven't been subjected to overwatering or nutes etc...the ones behind are the one's im probably going to ditch soon if they dont show any signs of getting better. I have just sown more seeds to replace the battered plants, so when they start coming up i will replace them.
535798_10150828914481815_512806814_12205762_1643636694_n.jpg

Here's a close up of the new / better ones....although i hope i'm not getting paranoid when i say that although they are lovely and green, with no yellow leaves, there may be possible leaf curl starting? What does anyone else think?
I really dont want to give them nutes if i can help it, due to whats happened with the poorly sick plants...but if i REALLY have to i guess i will...

So to recap:
Top watering the plants 20ml every 3 or 4 days
They get 17 hours of lights per 24 hours (2 x 6500k flouro)
The area where they are kept is usually around the 27 deg - 29 deg mark (80.6 - 84.2)

Does this sound about right to you guys?

545782_10150828914656815_512806814_12205763_818066700_n.jpg

Neil

Looks much better mate, are you using a mister (spray) i like to wet the leaves as well as the soil.

My leaves are curling on some, ive got holes in others, im not bothered about either as long as they look healthy & green.

Mezo.

Hi Neil,
thanks for dropping by the other day, sorry I couldn't chat much at the time
I had to finished making those 80 bottles of Serpent's Bite sauces
I thought I'd get on line to have a look through your glog and at your plants you were talking about
to me me it looks like a bit of overwatering and could the temps be a bit cold?
the stems are purple colour, yellowing and aslo curling up a bit!
if the plants are getting a bit cold in the night, this would be preventing the uptake of water
good Idea about adding a fan and lowering the lights,
the fluros being close to the plants should be no problem as they shouldn't give off enough heat to burn them
I wouldn't be worrying about nutrients just yet, there shoulf be enough in the soil for now
but if you prefer, then perhaps add some....at 1/4 strength
the lighting cycle should be 18hrs.perhaps mainly just to keep them warm till the rest of the house warms up during the day
over all your probably just killing them with kindness

Hi Neil,
thanks for dropping by the other day, sorry I couldn't chat much at the time
I had to finished making those 80 bottles of Serpent's Bite sauces
I thought I'd get on line to have a look through your glog and at your plants you were talking about
to me me it looks like a bit of overwatering and could the temps be a bit cold?
the stems are purple colour, yellowing and aslo curling up a bit!
if the plants are getting a bit cold in the night, this would be preventing the uptake of water
good Idea about adding a fan and lowering the lights,
the fluros being close to the plants should be no problem as they shouldn't give off enough heat to burn them
I wouldn't be worrying about nutrients just yet, there shoulf be enough in the soil for now
but if you prefer, then perhaps add some....at 1/4 strength
the lighting cycle should be 18hrs.perhaps mainly just to keep them warm till the rest of the house warms up during the day
over all your probably just killing them with kindness

Hey Grant! Thanks for taking the time to post mate, and no problem about being so busy when i called round.....it was great to see how it's all done..plus i had a job in the area anyway, and was passing, so i called in on the offchance!
The plants don't see any temps lower than about 23C...we keep the house at about 19C due to having little 'uns, and where the plants are kept it stays between 23C and about 29C due to the lights, so i dont think temperature is the issue.
The new ones i've planted in better potting mix seem to be doing ok, but im holding off posting any pics yet, as i've had this before....where they look great for a while and then in their 3rd or 4th week start looking sick. So, fingers crossed i make it past that dreaded 4 week mark!
I reckon they should make it though, as i've been really sparse on watering compared to my first efforts....here's hoping! Plus i'm not adding any nutes to them at this stage, as like you said, i can't see how they'd need it really...

I put my seedlings in seed raising mix to start them in the cups, i only put them in to potting mix when i know they are healthy. And im leaving them in there jiffy's, just bunging the whole thing in a cup & let the roots grow through in to the seed raising mix.

Same thing has happened as last year, i chucked the seeds in the seed raising mix bag, i thought you never know they may sprout & sure enough seeds that would not sprout on under the domes on wet paper towel have started popping up in the same cups as my Ball Chilli`s, six unknowns & counting.

Mezo.

Back