• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Neighbor's garden makes me want do puke!

So, I've got a neighbor who used to be a landscaper and her yard is AMAZING. It's a huge mess: mint, castor bean, fennel, dill, mexican sunflowers, wildflowers, berries of all kinds: blue, rasp, goose, service, straw. Anyhow, she doesn't really even try! All she does is plant shit and pull weeds. She doesn't even have grass! It's all food and flowers! Apple trees, figs, pears, AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

So today I went over to check out how her veggies were doing. She's out watering for the first time all year, and her tomatoes look like monsters. She doesn't sucker them at all, so they sprawl everywher, but her the stems on these things are nearly 1/2 inch across. Literally like small bushes almost 4 feet wide.

Then I go check out the starts I gave her. Her peppers (I gave her 2 yellow manzanos and a 7 Pot Brain Strain) look pretty good, though her manzanos are smaller than mine and covered in buds! I have three plants, and all I've got is leaves. One bud on one plant, that's it.

Here 7 Pot is the same size as the 3 I've got going, so I'm not sore about that.

My point is, all this talk of nutrients and fertilizers is fine and good, but I thoroughly believe after seeing the monsters in my neighbor's yard there's no replacement for healthy soil. She's amended her soil for years 6 years or more now with compost and pulled weeds and her plants do amazingly well. She never fertilizes with anything other than her own compost and the occasional load of goat poo (and she's only spread the goat poo in her hoop house!)

That is all. I'm just ranting my jealousy to folks I know will appreciate it!

I know what you mean! I have been reading on composting. I'm starting this year, gathering for it. I think I'm just going to start with a fence bin. Right now its just a pile!:(

origamiRN said:
I need to learn to compost

It's not hard. Throw biodegradable, non fat stuff in a pile. Left over food (non-meat), weeds, dead plants, leaves from trees, egg shells, onion skins - the list goes on. Let it sit, though some people like to turn it over. Takes a year or so to get everything decomposed, at least if the plants have big stalks.

I have huge pile outside and a 3-gallon bucket upstairs. The latter I add what water I have left over from watering plants. It tends to make tea that I aerate. It smells like an outhouse but plants love it.

Mike

Hey ***** im thinking that you should give her a lot more starts, you would have pods up to your ears!

Just remember that if you put weeds in your compost that it gets hot enough to kill the seeds if there are any. Unless you like to pull weeds. Or so I have found.

Novacastrian said:
Hey ***** im thinking that you should give her a lot more starts, you would have pods up to your ears!

I've already told her that I'll start all her peppers for her next year. Last year I gave her a few orange hab seedlings and they grew great. Too hot for her, so I got all the pods!

That's why I gave her on of the Brainey 7 Pots :hell::onfire::hell:

I did some research on this and they said compost is by far the best way to feed your plants because basically everything that the plants needs is available an in the soil before the plants are planted. However if you don't have the ability to compost compost tea is suppose to be just as good, but can be expensive.

FiveStar said:
I've already told her that I'll start all her peppers for her next year. Last year I gave her a few orange hab seedlings and they grew great. Too hot for her, so I got all the pods!

That's why I gave her on of the Brainey 7 Pots :hell::onfire::hell:

Sneaky devil FiveStar is. Watching her sample 7 pot, funny would be. :lol:

Yeah, I warned her that they'd likely be too hot to eat, but she didn't have any pepper starts and was willing to take whatever I could give. I figured since she's such a good gardener, I could just jack all the pods she's not going to eat and sauce it up!

She's thinking they might be good to put in her pickles....

Then they'll be 7 Jar instead of 7 pot! Maybe I'll cut one up into 7 pieces and see if the name holds true for pickles...

I hope so. I've made "Habanero death pickles" in the past that kicked a ton of ass. Can't wait to see how Fatali pickles might taste, or 7pot!

Back