• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Netting the darn things

Just got a frankenstein idea. Would putting netting over the plants make them bushier? As in it would restrict vertical growth?

If you start your seeds indoors under grow lights and keep the lights very low without scorching the seedlings you can make your plants stocky and short.  I used to do this so they could withstand the volatile weather where I used to live in the south.

I was forced to net because a deer went ape s#^% on my reaper, brown moruga, and pink tiger plants.  Neighbor kept feeding deer and then took a vacation, so deer got hungry without neighbor there and went after my plants.  

Long story short, I netted the plants because I didn't know what else to do to stop it from happening.  One month later, no more deer issues and an abundance of peppers.  Nature will always find a way though - instead of making the plants bushy it looks like they are just sending branches out of the quarter-sized holes naturally found in the netting.

Back