Never say never

I am still transplanting flowering/podding plants from solo cups to 1 gal containers and it is nearing the end of July. I started this grow season with a ambitious goal of growing peppers from every seed I have been able to acquire since joining THP. Thanks to several members this turned out to be a pretty huge quantity of seeds, especially for a first year serious grow. My glog, which I have not been able to keep up with as I had hoped list some 200+ varieties of both sweet and hot/super hot peppers. I was going to start this topic asserting that I would never again undertake such a task as growing 200+peppers of different types. Then, I remembered saying that I would not bring indoors, any plants that had been outdoors. Lets be real for a second, all it is going to take is for someone to have a monster seed giveaway like Karl aka Hendrix 1326 had last year and that idea of never growing 200 peppers is going right out the window. such as is not bringing indoors, out door plants. I will take severe precautions, but my 20 gal brown moruga as well ad many of my pubescence and some baccatums and maybe a few annuums are going to get pardons. Maybe more baccatums than some.

Anyone else have issues with being indecisive?

dash 2 said:
     Hot Shot no pest strips and garbage bags are a good precaution if you want to have a pest-free overwinter.
A little explanation is warranted.  I was thinking more of a couple of pyrethrin decon showers followed later by a battalion of ladybugs.
juanitos said:
i want to buy all the seeds and start another generations of peppers right now, but am restraining myself.
Being in OK, that would be a gutsy move unless you have an indoor setup to move to, or you are referring to the faster growing to podding peppers. I have some xalapas that are just putting out their fourth set of leaves now, this may be close the way weather has been going here this summer

Skip the pyrethrin decon showers, as they will also kill the ladybugs. Trust me on this - a ravenous bunch o' ladybugs can decimate the heck out of any soft-bodied bugs in your house. But that's the key - some places seem to sell ladybugs that just walk right over aphids. I get mine from buglogical.com now, and they do the trick. And yes, I release a number inside the house during the winter. 

HP22BH said:
A little explanation is warranted.

When it's time to start bringing the plants in, quarantine each one inside a 50 gallon contractor bag and keep it in there withe a HS NPS for 24 hours. Do it in the shade, so you don't steam it. 
     I've never had one insect on a plant that I treated that way before bring it in for the winter. 

geeme said:
Skip the pyrethrin decon showers, as they will also kill the ladybugs. Trust me on this - a ravenous bunch o' ladybugs can decimate the heck out of any soft-bodied bugs in your house. But that's the key - some places seem to sell ladybugs that just walk right over aphids. I get mine from buglogical.com now, and they do the trick. And yes, I release a number inside the house during the winter. 
I have no issues with a biological release indoors. I have done so on several occasions this past year to get control over aphids. the ladybugs were sub par in my opinion. But the resulting larvae were phenomenal. just needed about 1500 larvae to do the trick. The pyrethrin toxicology does wear off and I would not release ladybugs till that has occurred.

When it's time to start bringing the plants in, quarantine each one inside a 50 gallon contractor bag and keep it in there withe a HS NPS for 24 hours. Do it in the shade, so you don't steam it. 
     I've never had one insect on a plant that I treated that way before bring it in for the winter.

How does that kill bugs that are under/on the leaves? Does the strip not need to come into contact with the bug??

dash 2 said:
     Hot Shot no pest strips and garbage bags are a good precaution if you want to have a pest-free overwinter.
This works, I know. And no, the strip should not come in direct contact with the leaves. I usually put it in a small margarine container with a lid and poke several holes in the lid and just toss it at the base of the plant. Lost a few overwintered plants due to all kinds of critters last year, but saved several once using this method.  I did not overwinter as most inside my house but in a large cargo container, mainly because my wife.refuses to give up the spare bedroom. 

rocotos and manzanos have assured themselves of going on a winter vacation. There are round little balls on the end of the stem that once held a flower.

nope never.
well maybe sometimes a little bit
ok sure 
but i never want to grow as many seeds as i have, and never want more plants than i have room for!
well sometimes i think it might be nice to grow one of each variety i have seeds for, and maybe nice to have a bit more room to grow
ok damn it i wanna grow 1000's of plants of hundreds and hundreds of different varieties! :crazy:

The strip is impregnated with a volatile chemical that evaporates off and fumigates the surrounding area. 

great tip, thanks!

chile_freak said:

nope never.
well maybe sometimes a little bit
ok sure 
but i never want to grow as many seeds as i have, and never want more plants than i have room for!
well sometimes i think it might be nice to grow one of each variety i have seeds for, and maybe nice to have a bit more room to grow
ok damn it i wanna grow 1000's of plants of hundreds and hundreds of different varieties! :crazy:
Good to know. I was beginning to think it was a me thing.

AaronRiot said:
great tip, thanks!

No-Pest-Strips (dichlorvos) work great, but a few general warnings/tips.

-good air flow

-hang them high, ideally just above the canopy, away from HID lighting or any active heat source. Heat greatly increases the amount of chemical released, potentially damaging you or the plant.

-do not hang them in or near an area occupied by people, or one that shares airflow with such areas.

-wear a bloody mask

Dichlorvos is not something to be treated lightly, it can and will damage you (down to your DNA) if mishandled. I always cringe when I see people living with the things as active pest control.

miguelovic said:

No-Pest-Strips (dichlorvos) work great, but a few general warnings/tips.

-good air flow

-hang them high, ideally just above the canopy, away from HID lighting or any active heat source. Heat greatly increases the amount of chemical released, potentially damaging you or the plant.

-do not hang them in or near an area occupied by people, or one that shares airflow with such areas.

-wear a bloody mask

Dichlorvos is not something to be treated lightly, it can and will damage you (down to your DNA) if mishandled. I always cringe when I see people living with the things as active pest control.

Even better tip. Thanks for the heads up on this stuff. Think I'll pass on it, had a look at dichlorvos myself and I don't want anything to do with it.

AaronRiot said:

Even better tip. Thanks for the heads up on this stuff. Think I'll pass on it, had a look at dichlorvos myself and I don't want anything to do with it.

As far as chemicals go, organophosphates are among the worst. I think the labeling for most products tend to err strongly on the side of safety (c'mon, do we REALLY need to use safety glasses and a respirator when we clean the shower?). Not with this stuff, though. Quite the opposite. Personally, I don't know how they get away with having labeling that recommends hanging them in basements and attics where air might circulate into living quarters.
     Having said that, I store mine wrapped tightly in its original bag, inside a 3 mil garbage bag, inside a ziploc bag. When I use it, I only do so outside and I let the plants air out for a day before bringing them inside. If I had kids, I wouldn't store it in an area where they could get to it and I wouldn't fume plants anywhere near them.
     But as long as a person takes the precautions to avoid breathing the vapor, I think NPSs are an effective, residue-free way to get rid of tough bug problems.

dash 2 said:

As far as chemicals go, organophosphates are among the worst. I think the labeling for most products tend to err strongly on the side of safety (c'mon, do we REALLY need to use safety glasses and a respirator when we clean the shower?). Not with this stuff, though. Quite the opposite. Personally, I don't know how they get away with having labeling that recommends hanging them in basements and attics where air might circulate into living quarters.
     Having said that, I store mine wrapped tightly in its original bag, inside a 3 mil garbage bag, inside a ziploc bag. When I use it, I only do so outside and I let the plants air out for a day before bringing them inside. If I had kids, I wouldn't store it in an area where they could get to it and I wouldn't fume plants anywhere near them.
     But as long as a person takes the precautions to avoid breathing the vapor, I think NPSs are an effective, residue-free way to get rid of tough bug problems.

Spot on.

Back