• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New aeroponics setup

Hey There, Im new to the site. Been doing alot of reading here and getting ideas.
I am not new to growing at all but new to growing super hots.
This week I aquired a two tube aeroflow kit and will be setting it up out doors to grow a variety of peppers.

Here is a list of what I'll be growing...

Bhut Jolokia

Trinidad Scorpian

Devils Tounge

Scotch bonnett

Chocolate Habenero

Jamacian Hot Chocolate Habenero

Thats all for round one.

I have grown hydroponics before, but it was indoors.
This will be the first time i'm trying it outdoors.

I am looking for suggestions, help, ideas or whatever you have in mind on a few things.

Should I hang a screen of some sort over the tubes to keep rainfall from beating on the plants?

Is there anything that I might be overlooking?

t_16898.jpg

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Yeah, I thought about that. I was thinking that I could, during the day, keep 2-2l bottles of frozen water in the water container.

Do you think that will be suffecient to keeping the temp down?

Any other suggestions on cooling the water down? I can always have my wife switch out the 2 liters half way during the day on most days if need be.

ahh I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of my aquarium chiller lol...

This might be a newb question but what is the problem with the water temp getting high? I never had to deal with this when I grew indoors.

Risk of pathogens, microbes, virus', goes up with hotter temps. You also lose oxygen carrying capacity.

I have outdoor hydro setups, but I don't use aeroponics for several reasons, but res temps is the biggest. Those pump put out a shit load of heat running 24/7, especially with small reservoirs. My outdoor systems run at ambient temps, which isn't great but so far so good. Next year (when I go 100% hydro) I'm going to dig in a geothermal type cooling coil. It may or may not work

well, I have a few different pumps im going to try, I have a few saved from my prior aquariums that produce little heat. I talked to a guy at the store yesterday and he told me the same thing, with the water getting to hot, but he said with the summer slowing down the temps around here are lowering, he said I shouldnt have too much trouble if I put a couple of frozen 2L in there for the afternoon. He said the temp swing shouldnt be too big. We will try with trial and error.

Tonight im going to start germinating my seeds in small rockwools. I'll post pictures as I go. As always any and all sugestions are welcomed and appreciated.

I also am not sure what i'll use for nutes. I have some GH stuff that I might try. Ill post it up tonight and see what you guys think of it.

I started my seeds today.

I started Bhut Jolokia, 7 pot/pod, Ethiopian Berber, Trinidad Scorpion, Orange Habenero, Chocolate Habenero, Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habenero, Devils Tongue, and Scotch Bonnet

I am also going to try dwc for the first time. Here are a few pics I took today of progress...

P9110048.jpg

P9110049.jpg

P9110050.jpg

P9110051.jpg

also, what do you guys think of this to use for the food?

P9110053.jpg

You can also control nutrient overheating if you bury your reservoir in the ground. If you keep it above ground, keep the surface reflective.

You can also increase the volume of the reservoir to control temperature.

Chiller will work best.

why dont you use an inline pump and keep the reservoir somewhere cool, like a garden shed or a garage?

Temperatures are starting to lower, so I don't think im going to have too much of a problem as I would have during the hottest part of the summer.

So, I have a question about tyhe deep water culture setup.

Do you fill the bucket up to where its touching the basket holding the plant or just below the bottem of the plant basket?

t_16898.jpg

How big are your tubes? I thought those where for seeds only mainly because they are so small. I couldn't imagine trying to grow out a pepper plants that close together in a single row. Even my smallest plant is about 3' tall and 2' across. The largest one is 5' tall and 3' across and is in a 7 gallon container.

Im not going to be planting peppers in each hole. There are 18 holes on my setup and im only putting 6-7 pepper plants the setup. So they will have plenty of room to grow. In the spots that are free, I might put in a small low lying plant to grow in those spots.

the dwc setup im referring to is this...

PA110077.jpg

here are my seedlings. The leaves seem to be curling up and some are falling off? Can someone give me advice as how to correct this?

PA110075.jpg

PA110076.jpg

Thanks

So, since the weather has started to shift around here, its going to be too late to start these now, Im going to keep the seedlings in doors until march 1st then set up the aeroponics kit outside then.

I got a dwc cloner setup from a good friend to setup inside so I can keep my seedlings going untill march 1st...

I'm not sure what you mean - are you going to stick these plants in the above chamber and try to grow them in it for 5 months? Green Machine, in 150 days those plants will be more than mature! Best of luck!

Mike

Back