• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting New ferments - been a while!!

For a variety of reasons, I haven't made any hot sauce for a while - but the bug never left... Got a chance to get some of my peppers from last summer's garden (and some leftovers from 2016/2017 also) into some jars to ferment. I was excited to use some of the chocolate trinidad scorpions.. Man are they hot!

46804938372_a0280c81d4.jpg

One on the left has:
50/50 mix of orange habs/red serranos from 2017, a few smaller poblanos, a gypsy pepper and a few salsa fresco peppers
1.5 mangoes, 0.5 pineapple, 3 carrots, 1 sweet yellow onion, a head of garlic and a tsp or so of fresh ginger

One on the right has:
about 15 chocolate trinidad scorpions, 5-6 red cajun belle peppers, plus the same other stuff as the other jar

Processed most of the ingredients, put into the jar and topped with 5% brine. I have switched over to the lids shown for fermenting and really like them. They come with a pump so you can pull the oxygen out of the jar if you need to open them to check on anything. Fermented/aged a little over a month and processed. I ended up adding about 1/2 cup of water to each during processing to thin out a little.

46804938842_4466311a40.jpg

32981649138_82a6d20f2a.jpg

The one with the scorpions is almost too hot for me (ALMOST)... both have a very nice tropical fermented flavor to them that play well with all of the peppers used. Especially with the chocolate scorpions. My wife complained daily about the smell of that ferment... It was definitely very pungent! Had to process them in the garage... It still smells like heaven out there about 2 weeks later... Glad to be back fermenting peppers again.

I actually didn't measure the pH on this batch (got lazy), but typically my ferments are right at 3.4 or so and adding the water, at least in the past, hasn't affected the pH at all since it's only 1/2 cup.

Thanks for all the likes and comments!

Back