New from pittsburgh

Hello everyone! I'm new to the whole pepper growing scene. I'm from pittsburgh and have loved hot peppers since I took the first ever bite of a habanero (when I was 14, i'm now 30). My brother is a chef and makes a really good habanero sauce I eat on pretty much everything! Wanting a new hobby I decided I'd take up pepper growing. Everything I've learned for my first set of plants was from this site mainly. I want to take the time to thank everyone in advance! I started 105 peppers last week, Basic Jalapeno, White and chocolate habaenro, and Bolivian rainbow peppers. I'm hoping that out of 105 seeds I get something. I have 2 of my planters on jiffy heating pads, and 1 under a light just to keep its temp up. Keeping them around 80 degrees durring the day and 68 degrees at night, Keeping them moist and not wet! Hoping that something sprouts! Thanks again for all the ideas/help that was provided in all of the forum pages. Looking forward to sharing some seeds with everyone!

Hey, Pun! :welcome: to the forum, from Oregon! Good growing!

Hello and welcome from Albuquerque, an ex-Pennsylvanian (Latrobe/Greensburg) here, miss the soil back there, but not the winter and snow.

Hello and welcome from Albuquerque, an ex-Pennsylvanian (Latrobe/Greensburg) here, miss the soil back there, but not the winter and snow.
Yeah the soil is nice, but the growing temps can be a pain! knowing my luck since we have had an unseason like winter that this summer will be cold and icy!

Yeah the soil is nice, but the growing temps can be a pain! knowing my luck since we have had an unseason like winter that this summer will be cold and icy!

I think after the winter you guys had last year, you deserve a mild one or three.

Nice to meet you. I have a quick note of encouragement about growing peppers in Pittsburgh. While living in the Mon Valley in the early 90's I came to believe there's something special about the soil that makes pepper plants thrive. My neighbor in the townhouse complex had about 30 of the best habanero plants I've ever seen. He originally planted single plants on the 4 corners of his garden, but quickly realized he wanted more plants. By the time I moved in - his garden was dedicated to peppers - tomatos were on the deck in a planter. After he found out I liked peppers, he introduced me to a friend in Elizabeth that lined his entire back yard with pepper plants of every type - it was amazing how the plants thrived. I too had success with plants there - but could not duplicate the results when I moved out of the area?

Back