• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower In Wisconsin

Hello all, and while it isn't the intro page, I figured I could combine topics if that is ok!
Just a brief intro, my name is Kyle, I'm a semi-experienced plant grower in Wisconsin. I grow mainly carnivorous plants, but love everything hot, and have grown a few pepper plants yearly for the past 5 years or so.
In the past, my plants do OK, but nothing spectactular as far as size and yield.
I'm finally going to try and do everything by the book, and I feel in the past I didn't fertilize adequately or provide large enough pots, which I plan to do this year.
Any advice on when to start seeds here in Wisconsin, or tips for growing up north in general? Ordered a decent variety from Pepper Lovers this year, excited to see how it goes!

start now indoors where it's warm. you can use solo cups while they are indoors then transplant when ur last freeze is done, after mothers day usually.

yeah small containers, and low nutrients can really stunt the plant. Shoot for 5-10 gallons containers. viagrow bags from homedepot are .75 per bag.

also read the whole FAQ(stickied in this section) that should help you some.

It's probably a good idea to post on the Welcome forum -- it's "traditional".

You'll love our Growing forums -- one thread, started by a member named Maiden, is devoted to carnivorous plants ( i only keep a Nepenthes alata, myself).

If you're growing Capsicum chinense, or any wild species, you should sow seed as soon as possible. Other members with more experience will tell you how to grow Capsicums annuum, baccatum, frutescens and pubescens.

I would urge you to research the Vendor's Vault... except that you've already purchased from one of the most highly recommended merchants discussed therein -- Pepperlover.com.

Welcome from California.You've already received some great advice.Start indoors and post questions as you go.Hope you have a great season.

So I have all my seeds. I plan on soaking them for about 2 hours in 2 tbs H2O2 per cup of distilled water. 
Is it ok if I go straight into media? I read the growing thread and don't know how important napkin germination is.  I plan on going under a humidity dome.  Should I start in cocopeat or regular peat or anything?

Welcome aboard!  I'll soon be back in Kenosha,  WI.  I would always start seeds around January 1st up there.  

Should be just fine doing it the way you plan though I would soak overnight . Are you using a heat mat as well?

Yep! MY one heat mat is being used for some carnivorous seedlings, but my new one should be waiting in the mail today!

This is my first season growing from seed and I have already learned that for me, the moist kitchen paper in ziplock bags and then into a Tupperware container in the airing cupboard beat putting straight into medium hands down!

That could just be because controlling the moisture level is simpler in ziplock though.

One final question, I'm germinating in cells in a humidity dome, and know I need to get them out once they are gemrinated. How long should I wait? Basically, can I let all of them germinate before transplanting them, or should I transplant them as they each get their own first true leaves?

From my understanding transplant after they get their second set of true leaves. Remove the dome once you get a few sprouts. I'm new to this as well though so I'm just regurgitating info.

Also go to the growing peppers section and then to grow others. There is a large carnivorous plant post you might enjoy.

Just because I'm weary...around 6/12 types of peppers have germinated in the humidity dome ,and some of the early ones, with no new leaves, are darking and maybe wiltign a bit, assuming the humidity is too high for them. Am I safe uncovering the rest of the seeds as logn as they are sitll on the mat?

Back