• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower Needs Some Help!

Hey Guys! I'm new to the forums and I'm new to growing super hots. I've been growing my peppers organically and I started them from seeds. The pictures below are fatalli's, bhut jolokias, and Trinidad scorpions.

My peppers have started to look pretty bad recently. The leaves have started to turn yellow, have shriveled up, and they just don't look very healthy. I have started to fertilize them recently so I am guessing they may be experiencing some fert burn. Can anyone provide me with some help or point me into the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help that you guys provide.

IMG_20120613_211138.jpg

IMG_20120613_211124.jpg

IMG_20120613_211105.jpg

IMG_20120613_211058.jpg

IMG_20120613_211050.jpg

the leaves haven't been flat for some time now, they were like that even before I started fertilizing them. I started to fertilize them to counter act the "puffiness" of the leaves and now they've turn yellow

it looks much like water damage
maybe too much overhead watering??

is it more than one plant in the pot if so they may be root bound and need to be tranplanted into a larger pot or even in the ground

the plant wil drop those damaged leave eventually so dont panic on that one, it will most likly come in bushier

thanks your friend Joe

:welcome: A little more background like soil mix water schedule sun schedule would be helpful, my guess would be sun or fert burn.

The potting soil I use is Sanctuary Soil's Empire Build mixed with some Espoma Tomato-Tone. The liquid fertilizer I use is Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed blend.

I water the plants every 3 days and they get full sun for about 9 hours a day. I live in California so the weather has been in the high 80's - mid 90's.

back off the water and 9 hours full sun? did you harden em in or? I would leave em be for awhile to much love kills lots of plants. I thought San Fran was cloudy and misty most of the time.

They have already been hardened off. I planted them in those pots on May 1st when they had about 4-6 leaves

I don't live deep in the city, I'm on the fringes. We get plenty of sun

what size are your pots? i live in SAn Diego and i water well then waited till the leaves wilted and wrote down how many days i could go between waterings. adjust depending on weather. right now i can go 7-10 days without watering. the thing that worked the best for me was to use a chopstick and stick it into the soil as far down as you can and pull it out......if it feels wet or has soil stuck to it.......no water, if you pull it out and its dry and no soil then wait a day or 2 then fully soak and do it all over again. as watering every 3 days living in San Fran sounds like too much to me

They have already been hardened off. I planted them in those pots on May 1st when they had about 4-6 leaves

I don't live deep in the city, I'm on the fringes. We get plenty of sun

To much water and stinky fish stuff, and what the hell is this "Sanctuary Soil's Empire Build mixed with some Espoma Tomato-Tone" it sound like an entree from Hells Kitchen just kidding, I been a Niners fan since Brodie was their QB.

what size are your pots? i live in SAn Diego and i water well then waited till the leaves wilted and wrote down how many days i could go between waterings. adjust depending on weather. right now i can go 7-10 days without watering. the thing that worked the best for me was to use a chopstick and stick it into the soil as far down as you can and pull it out......if it feels wet or has soil stuck to it.......no water, if you pull it out and its dry and no soil then wait a day or 2 then fully soak and do it all over again. as watering every 3 days living in San Fran sounds like too much to me

The peppers are in 4 gallon pots. I will definitely try your chopstick method and see if it helps them out.

To much water and stinky fish stuff, and what the hell is this "Sanctuary Soil's Empire Build mixed with some Espoma Tomato-Tone" it sound like an entree from Hells Kitchen just kidding, I been a Niners fan since Brodie was their QB.

Haha, the Sanctuary Soil was recommended to me by my local hydro shop. They told me its comparable to Foxfarm's potting soil and its cheaper so I gave it a try.

Superbowl or bust this year!

Back