• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower (trinidad scorpion butch t)

Hi! I'm new to this forum and pepper growing. I'm currently growing 2 trinidad scorpion butch t's. One is in a 3 gallon smart pot and the other in a 5. I grew them from seed under a 4' four bulb t5 in a humidity dome. The plants are in a 4'x4' grow tent under a 400 watt mh/hps (vented cool tube). They are planted in fox farm ocean forest soil and fed the general hydroponics general organics line. They are on a 18/6 light schedule and are fed nutrients every sunday and wednesday. I transplanted them into the smart pots around 3 weeks ago. They seem to be doing pretty good considering i'm an absolute beginner. I'm just looking for tips and tricks on growing these plants. The older leaves seem kind of brittle.. any ideas? Any help or information on this grow would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
euxdsh.jpg
weouQh.jpg
GChADh.jpg
GZM2Gh.jpg
JT4kch.jpg

nice setup! as for advice, keep doing what you're doing, looks like its working. Don't worry too much about the crinkly leaves, my butch T has the exact same features, and it gets an ample amount of calcium every watering.

Thanks! I give them CaMag to fight it. It may be because I use distilled water... like i said, I'm new to all of this so i'm trying to soak up as much information about growing as i can.

does this seem like a normal growth rate?

alright i'll give the bone meal a try. What exactly does it do? will it throw off my pH? Do I put it in my water or directly on my soil? thanks!

Bonemeal is a source of calcium, if you are giving them Cal/Mag, don't worry about it. Bonemeal is more for soil, not hydro. Like I said last post, I found my butch Ts naturally have crinkly leaves, even though I cal/mag regularly. Yours look fine.Growth rate seems good, these peppers take forever to produce, just keep on keepin on and you will be fine.

EDIT:I just noticed you are growing in soil, not hydro. Bonemeal takes a long time to break down and become usable by the plant, I'd just stick to the cal/mag regiment that you have going there and you will be fine.

Bonemeal is a source of calcium, if you are giving them Cal/Mag, don't worry about it. Bonemeal is more for soil, not hydro. Like I said last post, I found my butch Ts naturally have crinkly leaves, even though I cal/mag regularly. Yours look fine.Growth rate seems good, these peppers take forever to produce, just keep on keepin on and you will be fine.

EDIT:I just noticed you are growing in soil, not hydro. Bonemeal takes a long time to break down and become usable by the plant, I'd just stick to the cal/mag regiment that you have going there and you will be fine.

While I am sure bonemeal contains calcium, it is usually used as a slow-release phosphorous source, actually. Needed for cell replication (as part of the phospholipid bilayer and also the backbone of DNA) and often used to boost chances of flowering.

Alright, I might try a little bone meal. I haven't put them on their "bloom" cycle yet. I want them to get fairly big before they start producing. How big should I let them get before I start this?

Don't worry too much about the crinkly leaves, my butch T has the exact same features, and it gets an ample amount of calcium every watering.

Hows it goin Orangello? New to Pepper growing eh, re-using the ole setup eh ;)

I can promise you that that you don't have calcium deficiency, with the soil you used and the nutes your treating twice a week, you wont end up with it either. Its like the people that resort to web MD for medical advice and wind up having leukemia after they fall off their bike, I feel like calcium deficiency is the biggest culprit of this in the horticultural world. As far as your older leaves lookin a lil rough, they will do that, as the plant grows it naturally prunes itself of the lower leaves.

Alright, I might try a little bone meal. I haven't put them on their "bloom" cycle yet. I want them to get fairly big before they start producing. How big should I let them get before I start this?

Your plants are going to flower no matter what type of fertilizer regimen you decide to put them on, let them do their thing, I wouldn't even pinch flowers if it were my grow, being indoors you can control the environment to precision and have happy healthy poddin plants all year round. Most of those fertilizers were designed with photo period plants in mind, that begin a true flowering stage later in the season when the daylight hours begin to diminish and are annuals. Have fun and experiment with em, with what you have going on, it would be a far stretch of the imagination to envision you not ending up peppers your proud of, no matter what you decide to do.

Good Vibes

Alex

Hows it goin Orangello? New to Pepper growing eh, re-using the ole setup eh ;)

Hahaha! just growing peppers here! :P

Hmmm.. so once they start to bloom on their own I start to switch to my blooming nutrient regiment? Along with a 12/12 high pressure sodium lighting? Thanks for the info! You guys are awesome!

Peppers aren't photoperiod plants, you can keep them on 18/6 the whole time.

My bad on the bone meal issue, I thought the other poster was referencing a calcium deficiency. It is a great soil additive, just don't expect immediate results.

Keep in mind though, you are using high quality soil and nutes, you don't really need to tweak anything until your plant starts to show a defiency.

Alright i guess i'll just keep on doing what i'm doing for now. Until today, i was under the impression that you had to "make" the peppers bloom (nutrients, lighting, etc.)
thanks for the help!

While considering the use of bone meal, examine a bag in a garden store. The odor will quickly get to you, even through the bag. The stench is used as deer repellent in gardens . You may not want that 'perfume' in an enclosed structure.

I decided against the bone meal. Thanks SanPatricio! once i smelled it, i figured that it probably wouldn't be too good in my apartment.

5c777079.jpg
0a9ea40d.jpg
665dff4f.jpg

Back