• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower!

Hey guys, my names Chris and im from New Zealand... im new here and new to growing peppers/chilis. 

So how it started- I recently bought a few different plants while browsing the local garden store..
I got some kind of sweet yellow one, a hot cayenne, and some other unknown plant. (its tag called it a capsicum fire i think)

Anyway I purchased the plants, and started reading about how best to care for them...I started reading and soon discovered the huge world of chilis!

One thing led to another and before i knew it i had ordered some Trinidad Sorpion Butch T, and Dorset Naga seeds...

I started constructing a new growing cage/green house type thing yesterday in prepertion for growing my new seeds..im making it so it will hold about 8 fairly large pots. (about 30 litre or 7 to 8 gallon pots). That way i can remove the plants and move the structure around if needed and it wont be such as issue with weeds etc.

Im planning on covering the whole thing with thin bird mesh during the summer, and i might put clear polythene on it during winter to make a greenhouse type thing..

Here is the supplies etc i started with..
peppergrow_zpse71f6dab.jpg

And heres how far i got with it Last night.. (dont worry those overhanging bits on the left will be cut off)
peppergrow1_zpsc8221b2c.jpg

So that's the start of my setup..ill post more pics later once i have made progress on my cage thing if anyone is interested..

The real reason for making this thread, other then saying hello (and great forum!) is I have a question..I have been reading about strains crossing/ cross polination etc and I need to ask..
If i put multiple types of peppers close to each other - will the resulting FRUIT be hybrid and not true to form? or is it only the resulting seeds from the Pods that may grow into a different strain?

Basically if i put the sweet yellow pepper next to a Butch T, will the resulting peppers from each plant not be true to form or hybrid? or would it only be plants grown off the resulting pods that would be not true to form?

Should I try and keep different types of peppers apart if i want fruit that is true to form? Or do the characterstics only change once new plants are grown from the pods?

Hope that makes sense?
thanks guys! 

Welcome!

The pod will not change in anyway if it was pollinated by a different  variety except the seeds will not produce fruit in the next generation "true " to its mother.
You can "bag flowers" if you want to produce "true" seeds from plants in close quarters with other varieties.
Good Luck!

IF they cross, it will be the seeds that have the new genes, so you wont have to worry until next years grow.

Welcome to the forum and wonderful world of peppers btw!

Good luck bro!  Welcome to THE very best website for all things chile related.  No finer group of chileheads anywhere on the orb known as earth.

Thanks for the info and warm welcome guys!
I had no idea there was such a great online community for pepper growing / info ! :)
Im really stoked to be part of it, and hope I can contribute something back in the future.

Im planning on continuing to build my enclosure when I get home from work tonight, so ill update this thread with a few pics of that, and some pics of the current plants I have growing 

Welcome Aboard nzchili! Looks like you got a great start to some nice grow shelves there! If you're gonna post your progress here, you might ask a moderator to move this thread to Glogs...or just start a new one over there!!! :dance:

Hi

Welcome, and yes keep us posted with your progress. We can learn so much from each other.

I've got some nagas and 7 pod in the hot category, will do the trinidad next year. 

D

So I got more work done on my growing unit this afternoon..Its looking pretty good I think...
I pretty much only have to staple the mesh on now, but that's a job for tomorrow!

Here's how the unit is looking..Its got a door the size of the whole front that opens upwards.(I have added some simple swiveling wooden locks to the bottom to hold the door shut, but they are not pictured below)
growshelf_zps4bf41839.jpg

growshelf1_zps190b0b32.jpg

Sorry no pics of my plants yet, Ill try get that done tomorrow..
Can a mod please move this to the Glog section if appropriate and ill update as I progress through this?  :cheers:
cheers

Back