• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New growth curled up

Most of my plants are healthy but this started a few days ago on new growth on a few plants. They've all been getting the same treatment, EC 1 / ph 5.8 water with 10-15% run-off. The EC of the run-off today was 0.8. I've built up to EC 1 from EC 0.6 gradually over 4 weeks.

25646391963_20b67c6439_b.jpg

LittleJake1973 said:

I would stop the nutes on the next watering and just give it plain water

This.  More often than not a Plant is trying to tell us something.   Leaf curl is normally a sign of over fertilization.   Try snipping off the new growth, and flushing the soil.  If the problem continues, you may have a virus or pest.  

Dry them out good
Then hit them with 1tbs Epson salt per gal.
Dont soak,just wet.
If they perk after a day or two,you have a calcium deficiency in your soil needs address (Calmag).

If the pH is correct then I would not assume calcium deficiency, there is no sign of tissue necrosis in the affected foliage, nor are there any indications of symptoms on the blossom ends that are visible in the picture. Leaf curling has been documented in the forums numerous times and almost all of it has been caused by over fertilization, therefore, stop the nutes and next watering use just plain water and it shouldn't hurt to mist with a little water and you might get a little more transpiration going by keeping a fan on them(if you aren't already) which should help work the nutes out of their system a little faster....

Correlation does not equal causation. Basic statistics

But it doesn't necessarily negate it either :)

That aside, whatever deficiency you may have, I would use a strong magnifier (60x+) and check for mites. At least to eliminate that from the list of possibilities.

I have similar with some of mine; no ferts, just Ocean Forest.

The strange thing is, two of the same plant (Chocolate Primo for example) one will have the curled up leaves, one will not.

Same water, same light, same bag of Ocean Forest.

So, what would the issue be given that scenario?

alkhall said:

The strange thing is, two of the same plant (Chocolate Primo for example) one will have the curled up leaves, one will not.

Being on the edge of over-fertilization can cause that scenario.  Its maybe too much but one plant can handle the excess with out showing signs, but the other just can't.  I had the same issue with a lot and toned it down a little and curled leaves issue stopped.  I was using a fish fert...  Goodluck with your grow!

alkhall said:

Botanydude88 said:
Being on the edge of over-fertilization can cause that scenario.  Its maybe too much but one plant can handle the excess with out showing signs, but the other just can't.  I had the same issue with a lot and toned it down a little and curled leaves issue stopped.  I was using a fish fert...  Goodluck with your grow!

One other possibility to throw into the pot is that the two seeds you sowed simply turned out to be two different phenotypes, in regards to handling stresses. It is possible that one sibling reacts negatively to xxxx ppm whereas the other sibling would react negatively to <xxxx ppm. This would not be true in the case you are running two plants which are clones from the same mother plant, but would help explain one possible reason for Botanydude88's statement.

LittleJake1973 said:
If the pH is correct then I would not assume calcium deficiency, there is no sign of tissue necrosis in the affected foliage, nor are there any indications of symptoms on the blossom ends that are visible in the picture. Leaf curling has been documented in the forums numerous times and almost all of it has been caused by over fertilization, therefore, stop the nutes and next watering use just plain water and it shouldn't hurt to mist with a little water and you might get a little more transpiration going by keeping a fan on them(if you aren't already) which should help work the nutes out of their system a little faster....

I just went back and read this, and man... I feel like every word here is gold. 

Thank you for all your responses guys, I appreciate it. I've checked the plants for bugs and I can't see any. I thought it might be an overfeeding issue too but it's only on 3 plants out of 20. I do check the EC and pH of the solution every time before I apply it. It's 0.9-1 EC / 5.8-5.9 pH. I calibrate my meters once a week.

So I started asking myself how is it possible to overfeed on an EC level already quite low and I've come to this conclusion. The plants are in 100% coco, a brand called Biobizz Coco Mix. It's supposed to be washed, buffered, all ready to go out of the bag but I've started thinking maybe they didn't do such a good job with this batch and it already has high EC which, when combined with my 1.0 EC feeding regime, is causing overfeeding issues. I don't know if that might have an affect on the run-off though, because like I said, it's not that high, 0.8 EC. Or my logic is all wrong, no idea. :)

Here's a close up of some of the leaves after I chopped them. No bugs are visible. Those white dots just seem to be hair that's part of the plant.

25661021564_6c686a7b6f_b.jpg

I did a search for Biobizz Coco EC test and found an interesting article on Hydromag issue 10 comparing different products. According to their test, my coco has a pretty high EC level (1.12) to start with. The product is advertised as having almost non existent EC. Damn, I should've read that article before buying.

25661593944_0ba9d52c15_o.jpg

alkhall said:

I'm having a similar issue using OF. Although I added a bit of composted cow manure to mine as well, might just be too rich for the guys. I'm not worried and expect it to clear up once they go outside in a week or two.

philosophiser said:

I'm having a similar issue using OF. Although I added a bit of composted cow manure to mine as well, might just be too rich for the guys. I'm not worried and expect it to clear up once they go outside in a week or two.

If it helps or not, I use FFOF too, but not primarily. I actually have been recycling my soil for a few years now. Each year I dump half into  the bushes/grass/etc and refill with pure FFOF. So, really, my soil is only about 1/2 FFOF and 1/2 older organic material. I do add a little bit of bloodmeal, oystershell, azomite dust, and humic acid. Oh, I also add 1 bag of medium-fine, pre-rinsed coco. But all-in-all, my total soil is at most 2/3 as hot as yours sounds like. And my plants LOVE it.

Just sharing my experience.

PS: I used to run 100% FFOF and had problems with not only over fertilizing, but lots more salt build up too. (AND FUNGUS GNATS!! - partially due to my over-watering back then. And I think FF fixed their mix to not have so many eggs - supposed to be sterile, but... for a few years they had a problem)

PPS: in case you're curious, I just planted my bigjim into this mix a week or two ago and will be doing regular updates on this competition thread in case you want to see first hand how this soil mix works for me - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58672-land-of-the-giants-2016-biggest-jim-competition/?p=1296943
The link is the beginning. I will be updating the whole season.

Back