• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New growth look okay?

Does the new growth on my Bhut Jolokia look okay? To me it has the appearance of being too light and almost a yellowish, compared with other pepper plants I have growing. I hesitate to give it food, due to the dark green of the mature leaves...any thoughts at all? BTW, note the wind battered leaves...these big ole leaves held tough, but they have gotten ripped a little here and there. Oh, and also its gettign some buds now, should I leave these or clip them off? It has about 4 buds total.

new.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Shane

I would pinch at that age mate give the plant time to grow first. IMO chillies are VERY ambitious and like to pod up early but the plant growth seems to suffer a bit.
EDIT: the new growth looks ok seems to be darkening up a bit at the leaf tips, give it a bit then start looking into possible problems

You mentioned wind battered leaves, was the plant just recently put outside for good? If it has just been recently put outside, even when properly hardened off leaves tend to change colors at first adapting to the stronger light. If it has been out for a while, yellow leaves are a sure fire sign of: Too much watering (or too little of a pot) and/or over fertilization. If you arent feeding them, try to cut back on watering. Id suggest epsom salts for the yellow leaves. Id agree, pinch the buds as well. Best of luck

Yeah definately pinch the buds off, they will come back when the plant grows more. I pinched them off one of my Bhuts that went wild and it grew more, it has set buds again and they are open, so I will see if it will set pods now. The plant looks good though. :D

Thanks to all. The buds are just beginning and have not really come out enough to pinch, but when they do, Ill get rid of them. There are about 6 buds on it now, best I can see.

I have not fed this plant at all thus far, its been so lush and dark green, I just couldnt see any need to. As for watering, well its been pretty wet here, I would have likely had to water tomorrow, but we got .16" of rain today on the plants, which will prolong the watering a few days.

Straticus you may be on to something, that particular plant has been outside about two weeks hardening off, but it got more shade than sun until last week...I moved it out to full sun last Thursday.

Shane
P.S.: Matt, how are those Billys and Big Jims doing? Ive yet to get a Big Jim in a pot or the ground, still in the cups, but doing well. My Thai Dragons, Cherrys and Fatalii are doing good. The Fatalii just got set out last night...ended up with 3 of them..looking pretty good though.

Fresh growth is usually light green...... remember how light green they were when they were just seedlings??? It only looks weird now because you have all the dark green mature growth to compare it next too.... they look great!!

If it starts to turn yellow.... then you have something to worry about. Other wise the new leaves should grow and darken like the rest.

Good luck!! :-)

Back