• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Idea Please Comment

Hi everyone i recently bought a burpee seed starting system that automatically waters the seedlings via a mat with capillaries. I replaced the burpee top part with a Jiffy one so i could use jiffy pellets instead of the burpee ones but my question was if i added aquarium heaters inside the watering reservoir do you think it would be sufficient heat to keep the soil warm? Here is a pic of the system
Burpee-Ultimate-Seed-Starting-System1.jpg
I used one earlier this season to keep my already sprouted seedlings moist and it worked really well but i just thought if i could heat it i could also use it for germination.

I have a few of that exact setup. I have also placed the jiffy mats in it before. I used a heat mat under the whole resevoir and had great results. I have also used some of my old reptlie heating mats ( like a germination mat that sticks to the glass of a tank ) and put them under the resevoirs and had great results as well. I have about 5 of the reptile mats laying around if youd like one. They are set similar to germination mats and run about 8-12 degrees above the room temperature.

Good little setups. I have also used the fox farm light warrior seed starting mix in the burpee trays. Best yet.

I have a few of that exact setup. I have also placed the jiffy mats in it before. I used a heat mat under the whole resevoir and had great results. I have also used some of my old reptlie heating mats ( like a germination mat that sticks to the glass of a tank ) and put them under the resevoirs and had great results as well. I have about 5 of the reptile mats laying around if youd like one. They are set similar to germination mats and run about 8-12 degrees above the room temperature.

Good little setups. I have also used the fox farm light warrior seed starting mix in the burpee trays. Best yet.
yea that would be great thanks how much would the reptile mat cost?

I would only ask that you cover the shipping. I dont have some of my snakes anymore, so they are just sittin around.

I would only ask that you cover the shipping. I dont have some of my snakes anymore, so they are just sittin around.
Thanks so much that would be wonderful i bought an expensive jiffy heating pad but it gets a little too hot. I have paypal if you use it.

If anybody else is interested or just want to learn a little about these, heres a link. I have the 30-40 gallon, and the 50-60 gallon U.T.H.s They are close in price to propagation mats, and work just as well. For small germination setups, these are actually cheaper, and use a little less electricity.

Garrett, do you have a timer?

I have used regular heating pads, but have found many a dead plant/seedling. Only had good results with the digital heating pads where you can set the temp. Refular ones just got to hot for my little guys. However, I have had people tell me it works great for them. I havent used one with the self watering setup. I think it may work with the starter plugs above the water. Youd have to keep a close eye one it though. That water will evap super fast!

I have used regular heating pads, but have found many a dead plant/seedling. Only had good results with the digital heating pads where you can set the temp. Refular ones just got to hot for my little guys. However, I have had people tell me it works great for them. I havent used one with the self watering setup. I think it may work with the starter plugs above the water. Youd have to keep a close eye one it though. That water will evap super fast!
I have a timer and i know what you mean about the evaporation but as long as i only have to pour a little in about once a day im fine with that. I just really recommend this system for beginners like me and it bottom waters to so you get good downward root growth as well.

These are great and very low maintenance. What kind of light you going to use for em?
well start them out under 23 watt cfls then i pot them up into cups or peat pots and put them under a t5 fixture. Some will go with the t5 and some will stay on the cfls depending on how much room i have. I also have a 400 watt hps/mh but i cant find a place to use it inside so it jut sits in the closet for now.

Cool. Sounds like you got it going good. I have some monster cfls. 65 watt. They are almost a foot long. I love the t5s. They work great.

Cool. Sounds like you got it going good. I have some monster cfls. 65 watt. They are almost a foot long. I love the t5s. They work great.
Yea you were the one that gave me the advice to move it up about four inches above my plants at first ti burnt them to hell in back but next season i will take your advice and hopefully not throw away a $100 dollar light

isn't the basic principal essentially bottom watering with heated water?

Back