• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Life

Thanks AJ.

Good luck to you too and to the rest of the gang here. Going to be a good year for peppers. I can feeeeel it.

OK here we are at day 12. Things are slowly moving forward. The count this morning is:

PEPPER SPECIES #Planted #Growing

Bhut Jolokia 16/5
Chocolate Habanero Long 3/1
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet 4/0
Devils Tongue 4/0
Fatalii 4/2
Fatalii Chocolate 4/1
Fatalii Hybrid SBS 4/1
Naga Morich 5/5
Red Savina 8/1
Seven Pot #1 7/0
Seven Pot #2 4/1
Trinidad Scorpion #1 5/0
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga 4/0
TOTALS 72/17 Total of 24%

Kind of lost track of this thread.

Here's my list of what I'm growing. I'm sure I'll be adding to it. Got a couple more sweet ones I want to add.

7 Pot
Aji Habanero
Aji Limon
Aji umba
Aurora
Bhut Jolokia
Black Pearl
Cachucha
Champion
Chocolate Fatalii
Chocolate Hab Long
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Congo Trinidad
Cumaro ou Passarinho
Devils Tongue
Fatalli
Habanero Adalberto
Hot Paper Lantern
Lemon Drop
Lombardo
Medusa
Naga Morich
Peruvian White Hab
Red Caribbean Hab
Red Savina
Red Tipped Paprika
SBS Fatalii Hybrid
Scotch Bonnet
Thai Hot
Tobasco
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga
Yellow Hab

Here's a shot of a Bhut Jolokia:

IMG_3830re.jpg

Here's one of my Naga Morich peppers:

IMG_3827re.jpg

TBC:

More pictures anyone?

Here's the set up I've got going for my seedlings.

IMG_3825re.jpg

Shot of how the lights are hanging. I used 1/2 inch PVC pipe to hang the lights from.

IMG_3826re.jpg

One last shot of some hotties:

IMG_3832re.jpg

That's it for now. I'll be back with updates.

Thanks.

I'm just south of Omaha, little 'burb called Papillion. I'm originally from Des Moines, spent the first 21 years there. Where are you at?

Sure do Gk, you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere right? My parents come from a similar place in southern Iowa.

Thanks EB, I'm hoping it's a hot one.

Looks like things are progressing nicely. How hard is it to keep them warm up there in snow country? Just using a spare room?

Thanks all.

I've got them sitting in the family room so heat isn't an issue. It isn't 80F but mid 70's seems to be working OK.

I found a couple of them with aphids this morning. Talk about a pain in the butt. I've sprayed each one on the top, sides, bottom and any place else I could get the spray in. I'll go back and do it again in a few days.

The aphids came from a couple of overwintering plants I have in another room. I've been able to contain them on those plants but they're impossible to wipe out. I need some ladybugs. Come on spring!

I'm using a combination of insecticidal soap and botanical pyrethrins to do the job, wish me luck.

Dale, they are the plant floro's. Supposed to have a plant favorable light spectrum as compared to regular florescents. The entire thing is under $10 at Wally world.

Here's the ones I'm referring to: http://www.homeharvest.com/fluorescenttubes.htm They're not the killer lights that will make your plants produce fruit indoors but they seem to be doing a good job with my seedlings. I'm also using them to keep some overwintered plants growing. Working just fine with them too.

Keep the positive thoughts going Sally, they'll be popping out of the dirt any day now. Some of mine took 20 days to pop.:)

Seems I have a heating issue after all. Checking them out yesterday morning I noticed a couple of fallen leaves. I set this up next to a door that I'm replacing the interior frame to so there is a draft that is letting in some cold air.

Went to Home Depot and picked up a painters tarp, a 9' X 12' that is 2 mil thick. Did a bit of jury rigging and wallah, my own little greenhouse. I have a small opening on a bottom corner that allows me to blow fresh air in when I want. Next stop at HD I'm going to pick up a digital thermometer.

I'm also using some styrofoam insulation to help maintain heat that is being provided by the florescent lights. It isn't much but I'm hoping it's enough. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

You know going through old and new threads and posts here is like having a brain storm and finding all the answers you need to have a successful growing season. Man I love this site!

Anyway here's a couple of pics.

IMG_3842cre.jpg

IMG_3840cre.jpg

Back