• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

New Mexican Food

I figured I would create a thread for New Mexican food. Please share your delicious New Mexican dishes and recipes here.

I'll start this off with a classic southern NM dish. Chile con carne.

You don't need many ingredients, but good roasted hatch green chile is a requirement. I used about 20 roasted big jims for this. De seed the chiles, remove the stems, then roughly chop them. Cube up your beef, rough chop an onion, and a couple of cloves of garlic. Throw all that goodness in a crock pot for about 5 hours on low, and serve once tender with some refried beans and a tortilla. I also like to serve a fried egg with it, but it's not necessary. Simple and delicious!

Attachments

• 20160119_143201.jpg
    20160119_143201.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 20160119_215437.jpg
    20160119_215437.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 130
     Oh my god, dude. You are KILLING it here! Every post is like a trip back to my childhood in Albuquerque. I've been wanting to make carne adovada in a bad way ever since I told my wife about it the other day. I couldn't believe I had never made it for her before. 
     NuMex cooking is one of those culinary "perfect storms" where a bunch of different cultures and available ingredients come together and make something that really gets a person's attention. I love its simplicity and confidence where something as humble and unassuming as a roasted unripe chile pod can be showcased as the star of a dish. 
     I know I don't even have plants in the ground yet, but your thread is making me itch to get a few grocery bags of Big Jims and Barkers on a  :hot: flame! Screw summer. I can't wait for FALL!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Oh my god, dude. You are KILLING it here! Every post is like a trip back to my childhood in Albuquerque. I've been wanting to make carne adovada in a bad way ever since I told my wife about it the other day. I couldn't believe I had never made it for her before. 
     NuMex cooking is one of those culinary "perfect storms" where a bunch of different cultures and available ingredients come together and make something that really gets a person's attention. I love its simplicity and confidence where something as humble and unassuming as a roasted unripe chile pod can be showcased as the star of a dish. 
     I know I don't even have plants in the ground yet, but your thread is making me itch to get a few grocery bags of Big Jims and Barkers on a  :hot: flame! Screw summer. I can't wait for FALL!
Thanks man, I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes!

I'm from southern NM, but I graduated college at UNM in Albuquerque(Go Lobos!), so I know the central NM/ABQ/Santa Fe recetas as well.

I'll be posting up many more recipes. If you have any requests, or need any specific igredient measurements on any of my previous posts that weren't included, please let me know.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks man, I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes!

I'm from southern NM, but I graduated college at UNM in Albuquerque(Go Lobos!), so I know the central NM/ABQ/Danta Fe recetas as well.

Cool beans. My family lived there for a while when my dad was in school there. So many memories... hiking in the Sandias and looking at the petroglyphs, checking out old town in Santa Fe, roadside fry bread  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling: , exploring ruins, Bandolier, K&I Diner, Lottaburger, the way the asphalt smelled and the arroyos roared after a rain...
     I miss it a lot sometimes.

Red Chile Pork Tamales

Start off by making the NM red chile sauce that I have detailed in previous recipes.

Boil 1.5 lbs of pork loin with garlic and bay leaves until it is easily shreddable. Strain off the broth, and reserve it for the masa. Mix some of your red chile sauce into the shredded pork, making sure that it soaks into all of the meat.

Masa

3 cups of corn masa
10 ounces of lard
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 cups of pork broth reserved from the boiled pork

Mix one cup of masa, all of the lard, the salt, baking powder, and two cups of pork broth. Once this is mixed well, add another cup of masa, and continue to mix. Add the last cup of masa with the last cup of pork broth, and mix until it is easily spreadable. Let this rest for an hour or so, while you soak about 40 corn husks in warm water.

Once the corn husks have soaked for an hour, begin to spread the masa on the husk with a spoon, then layer some of the red chile pork into the middle of the masa, and roll it like a cigarette. I usually do five or six at a time, similar to an assembly line. Once you have enough done to fill your steamer, tear strips of some of the corn husks, and tie them around the tamales to keep them from opening up in the steamer. Start the steamer, then load the tamales in, stacking them so that enough steam can get to each tamale well. I usually steam 12 tamales at a time. Steam them for an hour and a half to two hours. Once they are done, take them out, and add more to the steamer. Repeat this process until they are all cooked. I served these with some potatoes slathered with the red chile sauce, and beans covered in grated Oaxaca cheese.

Attachments

• 20160410_131323.jpg
    20160410_131323.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2016-04-11-11-25-14.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-11-11-25-14.png
    637.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160410_191014.jpg
    20160410_191014.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160410_192807.jpg
    20160410_192807.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160410_195811.jpg
    20160410_195811.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160410_200231.jpg
    20160410_200231.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2016-04-11-11-30-04.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-11-11-30-04.png
    546.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160410_225310.jpg
    20160410_225310.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 61
OCD Chilehead said:
I would like to personally thank you for your time and effort cooking and posting your dishes. It's very informative. I love GOOD New Mexican dishes. Yours look top notch. Don't get me started on Menudo. I could eat good Menudo and fresh Pan everyday. I've never made a Tamal. I'll have to give it and others a try.

Thanks again.

You would nail it in a New Mexican Throwdown.
I'm glad you're liking the recipes! I'll be posting many more. I still have half a bushel of roasted big jims that I need to eat, til the Hatch harvest this August. Gonna have to put them to good use!

OCD Chilehead said:
Can't wait!

I want to visit Las Cruses someday. It's on my bucket list.

Thank you Dr. Fabian Garcia.
You should visit sometime. If you go, drop me a PM, and I will point you in the right direction of some of my favorite hole in the wall spots that are consistently cooking some fire up in the L.C!!! I was there a year ago, and ate some breakfast at this place that had one of the best creamed green chile sauces I've ever had. They give you the option to smother anything with it, so I smothered an entire breakfast plate, including pancakes, it was amazing.

Back