• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

New Mexican Food

I figured I would create a thread for New Mexican food. Please share your delicious New Mexican dishes and recipes here.

I'll start this off with a classic southern NM dish. Chile con carne.

You don't need many ingredients, but good roasted hatch green chile is a requirement. I used about 20 roasted big jims for this. De seed the chiles, remove the stems, then roughly chop them. Cube up your beef, rough chop an onion, and a couple of cloves of garlic. Throw all that goodness in a crock pot for about 5 hours on low, and serve once tender with some refried beans and a tortilla. I also like to serve a fried egg with it, but it's not necessary. Simple and delicious!

Attachments

• 20160119_143201.jpg
    20160119_143201.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20160119_215437.jpg
    20160119_215437.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 133
Scoville DeVille said:
Dim Sum.

That's Chinese for "DAAEEEUUMM SON!"

Nice dinner OCD! Boom!
Thanks Scov.

It's delicious. I'm thinking of making some more sauce and freezing. It's a great overall sauce. I made some menudo and added some leftover sauce to it. Really nice.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
That looks delicious!
Thank you for the recipe. I think it's a great sauce for marinade. I almost added some Achiote. I make a Adobo marinade for chicken and Asada. I add Achiote to that. I like that your sauce calls for honey and coriander. Gives it a nice flavor. I think the honey breaks up some of the bitterness.

Thanks again for this delicious recipe. Continue sharing. We really enjoy.

I need to find you Dale. And cook and eat with you for a week. my wife would not be happy...but hey you live near the ocean right?

so your red sauce is coming from dried red NM chilies?
and how many big jim plants would i need to grow for a tidy harvest of greens?

and how do i cook beans like that?

Yes, the red sauce I make comes from dried pods. In New Mexico I make red sauce with juiced fresh red chiles if I can get it, or dried pods.

If you grow 4 big jim plants, you should get a good harvest to work with, andba able to roast/freeze some for the Winter.

Wow Dale! I can't believe what I have just read. This is the thread I only dreamed I could have produced, but was not willing to put in the time and effort. To me, it is the best one I have ever seen on this site. Though I have lived in the Seattle area for 22 years, my New Mexican chile heritage is still as strong as ever. I grew up in El Paso and lived in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho for many years. Since I cannot go to any restaurants here in Washington to enjoy these wonderful dishes you have shown here, I have to make them myself. You nailed it on everything from the carne adovada to the red enchilada sauce to the rellenos, etc. I just gave Salsalady a bag of red chile pods from my recent Hatch trip and wanted to show her how I make enchilada sauce with it. I hope she knows of this thread to see some of the other ways we use the pod. Time to go make up a batch of green and red sauce right now :P .

chileaddict said:
Wow Dale! I can't believe what I have just read. This is the thread I only dreamed I could have produced, but was not willing to put in the time and effort. To me, it is the best one I have ever seen on this site. Though I have lived in the Seattle area for 22 years, my New Mexican chile heritage is still as strong as ever. I grew up in El Paso and lived in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho for many years. Since I cannot go to any restaurants here in Washington to enjoy these wonderful dishes you have shown here, I have to make them myself. You nailed it on everything from the carne adovada to the red enchilada sauce to the rellenos, etc. I just gave Salsalady a bag of red chile pods from my recent Hatch trip and wanted to show her how I make enchilada sauce with it. I hope she knows of this thread to see some of the other ways we use the pod. Time to go make up a batch of green and red sauce right now :P .

Thanks for stopping by this thread. I'm glad you enjoy it! Living in El Paso, I bet you got used to southern NM style food, since Las Cruces is right down the road. This is soul food for people born/raised in that part of the world.

Please feel free to share any New Mexican recipes.

My Christmas breakfast. Huevos rancheros New Mexican style...Christmas, of course. Roasted Hatch green chiles, and Hatch red chiles for the sauce. Apple wood smoked pepper bacon. Breakast doesn't get much better than this, plus it reminds me of home. Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• 20171225_132508.jpg
    20171225_132508.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 73
To celebrate New Years, I decided to make a traditional menudo. I've put a menudo recipe up here before, but I'll share a few pics as I go along with the cook over the next 4 hours. I'm also making some Hatch green chile chicken tamales.

Raw ingredients. I cut up the tripe, and wash it reall well 5 or 6 times in water, along with beef feet. I then throw it in a pot of water, bring up to a boil to skim off fat, then reduce and simmer for 3-4 hours. Once the fat is skimmed, I throw in a halved onion, a whole head of garlic, and a bundle of epazote.

Attachments

• 20171231_114446.jpg
    20171231_114446.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20171231_122939.jpg
    20171231_122939.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 64
Back