New Newbie Here

Hello to all of you pepper heads!

My name is Ron and I am pretty new at gardening. I have only been trying to garden for the last five years or so. Basic stuff ya know, some onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, tomato, sweet potato. So last year I attempted some spicier peppers with a habanero, jalapeno, cayenne, and a Cajun belle pepper. I found cooking with these peppers to be a lot of fun so I looked into growing even more types of peppers. I purchased some seeds and I have some scorpion butch-t, 7 pod I don't know the strain, scotch bonnet, and a couple more Cajun belle peppers.

I have found that I have had trouble with aphids last year, and this year a small dark bluish black bug on the underside of the leaves that cause the leaves to discolor and curl. I have tried using a spray and removing the bugs daily. So far removing the bugs daily have been the best approach as the spray seemed to be rough on the plants. Any thoughts on what these are and how best to deal with them?

I am glad to be here and plan on doing a lot of learning and welcome any and all advice.

Thanks everyone.

Shorerider, what types of peppers are grown in Australia? I would assume any kind that one would want, but I mean what are the most common or native varieties?

Student of Spice said:
Thanks everyone.

Shorerider, what types of peppers are grown in Australia? I would assume any kind that one would want, but I mean what are the most common or native varieties?

Well, I started off with Cayenne and Tobasco. I'd never heard of Superhots until I joined THP. My collection has grown substantially over the past few months, mostly due to the generosity of fellow THP members. My current grow list is:

-Trinidad Scorpions Butch T
-Habanero
-Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
-Tabasco
-Tobasco cross#1
-Tobasco cross#2
-Unknown (bought)
-Rocoto
-Scotch Bonnet
-Sweet Pepper
-Cayenne
-Long Cayenne cross
-Red ball
-Jalapeño Mexicana
-Hungarian yellow

Things will definitely be heating up next season with the seeds I have of roughly 25+ different varieties, including many Superhots. 

SR.

Welcome...Soapy water is a great bug killer. Lots of great info here..

Student of Spice said:

My name is Ron and I am pretty new at gardening. I have only been trying to garden for the last five years or so. Basic stuff ya know, some onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, tomato, sweet potato. So last year I attempted some spicier peppers with a habanero, jalapeno, cayenne, and a Cajun belle pepper. I found cooking with these peppers to be a lot of fun so I looked into growing even more types of peppers. I purchased some seeds and I have some scorpion butch-t, 7 pod I don't know the strain, scotch bonnet, and a couple more Cajun belle peppers.

I have found that I have had trouble with aphids last year, and this year a small dark bluish black bug on the underside of the leaves that cause the leaves to discolor and curl. I have tried using a spray and removing the bugs daily. So far removing the bugs daily have been the best approach as the spray seemed to be rough on the plants. Any thoughts on what these are and how best to deal with them?

I am glad to be here and plan on doing a lot of learning and welcome any and all advice.

Welcome from Slovenia.

Good luck with the grow and keep on kicking those bugs in their tiny asses... until they decide to leave your plants be.

Student of Spice said:

Welcome to the forum Ron, the guys here are awesome.  

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Back