• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

New Pepper Grower & need help IDing

Thought you guys might be able to help out a newbie to pepper growing. My labels wore off for these 3, but Im pretty sure I know what theyre labeled. Just curious if they are what theyre supposed to be. I know I shouldnt have planted 3 different types in one pot, but whats done is done. In these pics is 3 plants. I believe a Black Naga, Naga Maruch and Congo Yellow. Can anyone confirm this? Also, when should I pick the peppers? Thanx.
DSC06208.jpg
DSC06207.jpg
DSC06206.jpg

I don't know but I would seriously think about trying to get at least one of those plants out and into another pot. The way they're growing, soon you won't get any more yield from 3 plants than you would've from two and then add what you get from the 3rd in another pot... Might be too late, I don't know as some plants will keep their roots to themselves and not extend into the territory of a foreign plant's roots much.

^ Just take a small hand shovel and make a cutout straight down to the bottom around the perimeter of one, halfway between the plant furthest away from the other two and all the way to both sides of the pot, then using two hand shovels on both sides, lift the entire mass out and put into another pot that already has some soil shoved to the side and at the right depth to accept this transplant clump. Maybe a picture would help...

transplant.png

If you are brave and have the right sized shovel this can also be done with one larger curved blade shovel and someone else holding the pot still. Some people use a long knife to make the cut then use a shovel(s) to lift it out, possibly because their shovel isn't very sharp which helps.

Fill up the hole you made in the original pot and fill in the new pot and water-in both to get the soil settled. Set the transplanted plant in the shade for a couple days. Main thing to avoid is knocking the plant around so it doesn't stress the roots right under the soil surface. If after a day or two it is looking really droopy you may have to cut away some of the plant so what roots remain are enough to support the smaller size of the plant, but usually I don't have to do that. Best to transplant on a calm evening with moderate temperature, not in the mid-day heat.

Thanx so much. Any ideas if the peppers in the pic are indeed black Naga peppers? I can't recall what the seeds were labeled, but I think it was bhut.

Thanx so much. Any ideas if the peppers in the pic are indeed black Naga peppers? I can't recall what the seeds were labeled, but I think it was bhut.

Back