• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds New seedlings just arrived -what soil mix??

These just came in today from Cross Country Nurseries:

1 Datil
2 Aji Omnicolor
2 Lemon Drop
1 Fresno

I'm going to be growing them completely indoors under LED lights.  I read the "All About Soil" thread and there were like 20 different potting mix recipes. . . question is, what recipe should I go with?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I use a mix of Coco coir, potting soil, worm castings, and perlite. I don't go by parts so much but more by eye when mixing all these soil amendments.

Would you be offended if I wrote that you're nuts? It's not remotely sane to opt to grow indoors under LED lights if you live in Arkansas. No matter what soil you use, so long as it drains well, your lights will be your limitation... unless you're some kind of mad millionaire with money to burn for the power bill and lighting equipment.

I meant that in a productive way. I just hate to see people get their hopes up and pay a lot of money to see very little reward out of it.

I'm feeling like an ass for writing that, but it seems like you're underestimating the potential of those plants and how much light they need to do well.

No, I wouldn't be offended -I know I'm nuts! But I have 2 legitimate reasons for wanting to grow indoors: 1) my yard is prone to flooding and it doesn't drain well. 2) my yard is too heavily shaded by large oak trees.

Well, you ask a loaded question.  Do you plan to grow conventionally, or organically?

When I was new to container gardening, I read as much as I could consume, and then started experimenting.  Truth is, you won't really know anything until you get your hands dirty.  But, it's very hard to go wrong on seed starts.  What I like to do, is mix coconut coir with horticultural grade vermiculite - which is very small/fine - at a ratio of 70/30, respectively.  Then, I put my seed trays in a shallow water dish, and let them take up water from the bottom.  This is NOT your final potting mix.  It's just what's proven to be, for me, an almost foolproof method of germination. (I have about a 95% success rate, using this method)  I should probably note, that I start my seeds outdoors, in 50% shade.

There are so many ways to grow plants. I prefer no-till organic methods in large containers.  Maybe that's not right for you.  What is your strategy?

Dave2000 and rickster- three summers ago, I grew these same varieties and some others outdoors in 5 gallon pickle buckets.  First, they got swarmed by white flies, then aphids.  I sprayed them with neem oil which reduced those bugs.  But then something started eating the leaves of some plants -I suspect some type of caterpillar.  Then when they started fruiting, squirrels came and ate half of the budding peppers.  Not to mention that I had to move a dozen dirt filled buckets around twice a day.  No fellas, I'm growing indoors this time around -if nothing else, it's an experiment.

I think I'm going to use the mix that Alklines posted.

As far as lighting, I'm about to make a light rig:  4 Cree CXB3070 LEDs for a total light output of ~40,000 lumens or 450 PPF.  Should be sufficient, right?

Odysseus said:
Dave2000 and rickster- three summers ago, I grew these same varieties and some others outdoors in 5 gallon pickle buckets.  First, they got swarmed by white flies, then aphids.  I sprayed them with neem oil which reduced those bugs.  But then something started eating the leaves of some plants -I suspect some type of caterpillar.  Then when they started fruiting, squirrels came and ate half of the budding peppers.  Not to mention that I had to move a dozen dirt filled buckets around twice a day.  No fellas, I'm growing indoors this time around -if nothing else, it's an experiment.

I think I'm going to use the mix that Alklines posted.

As far as lighting, I'm about to make a light rig:  4 Cree CXB3070 LEDs for a total light output of ~40,000 lumens or 450 PPF.  Should be sufficient, right?

Nothing wrong with that mix, but if I have to spend the money on ingredients, I'm gonna only mix worm castings in the root zone, (top few inches of soil) and I'd be amending with other ingredients. (various rock dusts and meals)  Of course, that's just me.  You still haven't mentioned whether you want to grow organically, or conventionally.

Personally, I like to mix equal parts homemade vermicompost, coco coir/vermiculite blend, (70/30) pine bark fines, and perlite.  And an easy amendment recipe - for every 10 gallon pot size -  would be 1 cup greensand, 2 cups soft rock phosphate, 2 cups rock dust, (like azomite or a mix of azomite and some sort of volcanic/basalt) 1/2 scoop blood meal.  I don't use dolomitic lime, but I'm sure it won't hurt, in moderation.

Those pests that you mentioned...  They are often most present and visible in plants that have severe deficiencies, whereas they often leave strong, healthy plants, mostly alone. (particularly whitefly)  Just a point to note.

I bought a 1 cu.ft. bag of supersoil and mixed in 7 quarts perlite, and a fair amount of coco coir.  So I guess it's not organic.  I'm sterilizing it as we speak in my smoker.  When it cools off, I'm going to mix in a pound or two of worm castings.  How long should I wait before transplanting them into bigger pots?

They would benefit from larger pots right now. They also need the lights done asap so they don't get too leggy.

Ok, I transplanted them into 8" pots yesterday morning and watered them until water just started draining from the bottoms of the pots. I put them into a sunny window sill and left them alone. This morning, I noticed two things: 1) the tips of the leaves on the Fresno have curled up at the end and looks wilted (just the tips look wilted; the rest of the leaf looks fine). 2) the soil is still quite damp. Have I done anything wrong?

Dave2000 said:
Would you be offended if I wrote that you're nuts? It's not remotely sane to opt to grow indoors under LED lights if you live in Arkansas. No matter what soil you use, so long as it drains well, your lights will be your limitation... unless you're some kind of mad millionaire with money to burn for the power bill and lighting equipment.

I meant that in a productive way. I just hate to see people get their hopes up and pay a lot of money to see very little reward out of it.

I'm feeling like an ass for writing that, but it seems like you're underestimating the potential of those plants and how much light they need to do well.

This is very true, people don't usually realize the cost of running lights to grow plants fully indoors.

Even if you were to try to justify something like 600 watts of some high intensity bulb of your choice. Once you get past the hundred or hundreds of dollars to get the fixtures/ballasts/bulbs, you need to consider electricity... per month. If you run 600 watts of electricity, your bill goes up, say $40 per month.

But running just the light is not going to work. There will be heat and humidity to deal with. Fans and what not will add to the electricity bill.

PLUS, when you use more electricity, the electricity you use becomes more expensive as you graduate to higher tiers. At least that's how it works around my county.

So, what people might think is OK, a $40 increase per month, can turn into a $60-80 increase real quick. And once you've bought the equipment, you're kinda obligated to complete the venture.

Now take that $60 per month and times that by the number of months it takes to veg and fruit a plant. Divide that by how many plants you have, and you will get an idea of how expensive it can be to grow a plant indoors.

I'd say you could easily get 6 or 7 plants to grow (and flower, remember full sized plants take up a lot of room) under 600 watt. So, is it worth $400 to $500 per year to grow indoors? That amount is a total guess... Well, it may be. I grow other stuff that is WAY worth the money it takes to grow it (rather than buying it) so my set up has paid for itself over and over again. But this is not a typical case with peppers.

I find it best to start peppers indoors under lights and then move them outside if at all possible.

I know the OP may not be able to given his situation, but I just want to say I fully agree with Dave2000 on warning people of the cost of growing indoors. Though, hobbies can be expensive, so if you justify it as a hobby, it may work for ya!

I'm definitely looking at it as a hobby. I ended up spending $202 on all the lighting components and am waiting on them to arrive. I decided to use two Vero 29 4000K LEDs for light, and they only pull 102 watts together while putting out a combined 15,000 lumens or 259 PAR at the 4000K color temperature. That's less electricity usage than the average porch light. Pretty awesome, right?

^ Might be okay for two plants. Growing six they'll end up cumulatively the size of two or three, BUT, then you still have space to do other things in the room they're in. Granted growing indoors you don't have to stop when it gets cold outside so you'll have fresh peppers to eat at least through Christmas, IF you don't get tired of pollinating them.

Awesome is relative though. They'll probably end up 1/2 the size and 1/3 the yield of what people grow outdoors in a decent climate, which cost me about 50 cents per plant per season, with half that being the electricity for lighting during their first month indoors, so for all your costs I'll get the same yield for $1, but I will have to spend more time trudging around watering them outside once the hotter months of summer arrive.

Odysseus said:
I bought a 1 cu.ft. bag of supersoil and mixed in 7 quarts perlite, and a fair amount of coco coir.  So I guess it's not organic.  I'm sterilizing it as we speak in my smoker.  When it cools off, I'm going to mix in a pound or two of worm castings.  How long should I wait before transplanting them into bigger pots?

Why on earth would you cook soil in a smoker?  Especially if it's supposed to be organic???

I've heard some crazy shit, but growing peppers in smoked dirt...  You have either too much time, or too much money.  You can buy more peppers than you can eat on 2 hours wages.  LOL

solid7 said:

Why on earth would you cook soil in a smoker?  Especially if it's supposed to be organic???

I've heard some crazy shit, but growing peppers in smoked dirt...  You have either too much time, or too much money.  You can buy more peppers than you can eat on 2 hours wages.  LOL
My thoughts exactly! Wtf are you doing smoking your soil?.. First of that's going to kill off any benifical microbes

Back