New Tiller advice

Topsmoke, two acres and bad feet.  Last year, pulled off most of it flipping with a shovel.  No way I can do that this year.

Pepp3rFreak said:
Greetings ajdrew! If you don't mind me adding in my $.02, Do Not get the RT 65!! Get the RT 75($999.99) or if you don't need the auto neutral engagement get the lower priced RT 45($699.99) without question!  the RT 75 or the real machine with a lifetime warranty a BCS tractor with tiller attachment.

Thank you again.  Last hospital visit made me go for the RT75, is on order for delivery next week.  The decision not to go with the 65 was based on your observation.  Went with the more expensive instead of the less expensive cause the more my body fails the more gotta rely on tools.  Its such a different world being gimpy, thinking in terms of who can fix a thing, how hard it is to get it to a repair shop, what warranties are like.  Used to be I would just tear a thing open and have at it.  Hell, used to be instead of paying for delivery I would load and unload off one of the trailers.  Just dont have it in me anymore.

Also about to buy riding lawn mower with bagger.  No advice needed cause spent so much on tiller, only one I can afford.  I think with the two I will be good to go for anoither season despite the missing bits.

New tiller all put together and turning earth.  I went with the TC75.  The extra engine really rips some soil.  I only managed about 30 feet before I could walk no more, but it was 30 fantastic feet.  Remember, last year I managed flipping rows with a shovel, in a cast.  I think I got this.  A few feet more each day and a lot of help from the wife.

Many thanks for the great advice.  The main clutch cable slips off, but thinking I can find a crimp like a led fishing weight that will solve that issue easy enough.

tiller.jpg

It is tearing dirt like nothing I have used before.  But do have a few negatives for review.

Don't buy unless you are comfortable with minor repairs - Not 30 feet of tilling and the clutch cable fell out of its socket.  Only needed to be put back in and crimped, two screws to remove cover.  Next 30 feet, the bolt holding the main pulley flew off when put into reverse.  A little threat tight and tightning and it is fine.  After these very minor things, no problem thus far.  Rips dirt, old pepper plants turned to mulch.

No forward without tines powered.  You just lift up on the back handle to keep the tines off the lawn.  But some models let the tines spin freely on power forward, so you could leave them on the ground in a kind of tine neutral.  However, I get the feeling this is to decrease parts in the transmission for more reliable use.

No cable adjustments - To make it snap together and play out the box without adjustments, there are no adjustments possible to the cables.  When belts stretch, you replace them.  Some other models let you tighten the cables a bit to pull the belts a bit more.

It is not the old Horse that you will be lucky to find on Craigs List (no longer made) but so far it is the closest thing I have found to it.

Back