• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to growing and in need of help.

I tried to grow a Bhut Jolokia plant last year but I wasn't able to get it to come up. I am in need of some tips for this coming year and I also want to create my own hybrid plant which I also need tips on the best way of going about it.

It's hard to say because it could have been a number of things. The more knowledgeable will probably have more advice, but I would say to keep seeds warm and moist, and then be patient. The superhots take longer to germinate than other varieties.

Hello and welcome! First off you need to do your homework on germinating. Search the forum here for germinating. I suggest trying both the paper towel plastic baggie method and the jiffy peat pellet mothod to germinate. See which method works best for you!

Germination is easy if you can keep the conditions ideal for the seeds, which isnt much. Just gotta keep the seeds moist and warm throughout.

welcome from florida. with me its more a numbers game i cant imagine just planting one seed and then being dissapointed that it didnt grow. but there are lots of people on here that do all the germination stuff so youll get lots of help. enjoy the site

Thank you guys for the advice and when I tried I used 5 seeds but I obviously don't really know jack about germination. The only plants I have ever grown where a strawberry plant my great grandad gave me almost 20 years ago and a Venus fly trap I bought at walmart.

Thank you guys for the advice and when I tried I used 5 seeds but I obviously don't really know jack about germination. The only plants I have ever grown where a strawberry plant my great grandad gave me almost 20 years ago and a Venus fly trap I bought at walmart.

Mike you were one step ahead of me until yesterday! I had never grown anything before and didnt even know what germinating was until a few months ago lol. I just had my first Bhut Jolokia plant sprout yesterday! Like I said just do some reading on germinating on this forum. Search the forum for germinating. We will help you with your seeds! If you have any questions feel free to ask us! Good luck my friend!

Do a search on germination, there's plenty of ammo here. Unless your bent on growing the "bhut" or other "super-hots" I'd recommend starting out with a Habanero variety, there are many to choose from. The Habs always seem to be the 1st to rise. Some of my supers have taking as long as 3wks, but most break soil in 7 to 10 days.

Greg

Back