• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to growing peppers

CAPCOM said:
Very good choice.
You can do multiple seed per pot to up you germ %. If seed is from good source and your moisture and temps are spot on you dont need to though. That is a choice you have 100% control of and there is no wrong answer.
should I use the paper towel method to germinate and then put the seeds into the pellets or just put them in straight away?

If you go paper towel, which is good. I have used it. You know you are putting good germ in the peat pots and only need to go 1 per.
Just dont let the tap root get too long before moving to the pots. the seed only needs to begin sprouting to confirm viability.

CAPCOM said:
If you go paper towel, which is good. I have used it. You know you are putting good germ in the peat pots and only need to go 1 per.
Just dont let the tap root get too long before moving to the pots. the seed only needs to begin sprouting to confirm viability.
ok thanks! also another question, i believe the space im using is only 3.7sqft. my one light is 2200 lumen will that be enough for 3 or 4 plants or do i need to get another?

FullersFire said:
ok thanks! also another question, i believe the space im using is only 3.7sqft. my one light is 2200 lumen will that be enough for 3 or 4 plants or do i need to get another?
for 4 sq ft, you will need 12,000 lumens. Or an 83w bulb. Guesstimate

I would be more concerned about getting quality good seeds than what to start them in. First and foremost is get seeds from a reputable seller. Or else you might end up with ghost peppers that are actually habs. Jiffy pellets work awesome IMHO. So does fox farm light warrior seed starting mix. I get about 90% or better germination rates from jiffy pellets. :welcome:

SvtCobra said:
I would be more concerned about getting quality good seeds than what to start them in. First and foremost is get seeds from a reputable seller. Or else you might end up with ghost peppers that are actually habs. Jiffy pellets work awesome IMHO. So does fox farm light warrior seed starting mix. I get about 90% or better germination rates from jiffy pellets. :welcome:
yes, I ordered from pepper north and great hopefully I get similar results with pellets

SvtCobra said:
If you don't have at least an adequate support system the best seeds in the World will not grow the way you want. System 1st, then seed.

CAPCOM said:
If you don't have at least an adequate support system the best seeds in the World will not grow the way you want. System 1st, then seed.
cap, do you water your plants by spraying them with spray bottle or do you pour water into the tray??

I have watered with dbl cup system (bottom watering), used the soda straw bottom watering method and top watered. This year like last, I will proably use a pump sprayer for convenience and expediency.

One note on the Jiffy pellets.  They do dry out fast so check on them daily and make sure they are wet consistently until the seed pops.  If you let them get too dry, the initial root my have difficult times ahead trying to navigate the dried pellet.  I have made this mistake and the root ended up just doing a loop around the hole instead of growing into the pellet.  That is only from my experience.  Others may have different opinions.  I am no Jiffy pellet master.

bpiela said:
One note on the Jiffy pellets.  They do dry out fast so check on them daily and make sure they are wet consistently until the seed pops.  If you let them get too dry, the initial root my have difficult times ahead trying to navigate the dried pellet.  I have made this mistake and the root ended up just doing a loop around the hole instead of growing into the pellet.  That is only from my experience.  Others may have different opinions.  I am no Jiffy pellet master
At what time do you start to let the soil dry out a bit more and water then repeat?

@FullersFire,

CAPCOM is right on about setting up your lighting system.

I am sure you will see people using different types of lighting, fluorescent, HID (Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium), and LED.

Personally, I use T5HO lighting; 4-foot, 6-lamp industrial highbays. 54 Watts per lamp. Approximately 30,000 Lumens for each 2-foot by 4-foot shelf on my seedling setup.

A few pics from my 2015 grow log.

Back