• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to growing

hello everyone I'm new to growing and I have about 10 plants starting and I was wondering I have no artificial lighting and I'm starting my peppers outside on a patio with full sun in the 2 cup method outside and I was wondering with natural sunlight are my peppers still going have a good chance of growing? Any help would be appreciated

Both mother nature and farmers plant seeds outside in full sun all the time, so your plants have more than a chance. The big difference is that you need to "interfere" since you have them on your patio. By this I mean you need to water them and such. I am not sure what you mean by "the 2 cup method", so please describe. Other than that, I am wondering if you took the plants through a hardening off process before putting them in full sun or if you got them from a source that had them out in full sun previously. If the plants were indoors or sheltered in any way, you need to gradually introduce them to full sun or they might get sunscald. Pics of the plants would help us give you some tips.

I thought it was referred to as the 2 cup method but I may be wrong but when u have 2 solo cups one with a hole in the bottom and the other u fill with water and it waters the plant from the bottom
I got most of my info on growing peppers on YouTube so I could be wrong

I do not know what the growing season is like in Florida, so no help with that.  But I would recommend something to block the wind until the plants are established enough to take it.

Orlandopepper said:
hello everyone I'm new to growing and I have about 10 plants starting and I was wondering I have no artificial lighting and I'm starting my peppers outside on a patio with full sun in the 2 cup method outside and I was wondering with natural sunlight are my peppers still going have a good chance of growing? Any help would be appreciated
Yes Peppers love florida, even though its late in the year for starting seeds, you might still get a harvest. Just be careful of over watering, damping off is easy to cause down here.

They like their feet to dry out a little once in a while. It will tell you its thirsty by allowing its leaves to droop. NOTE: It will also do this during the heat of the day, so learn to judge whether the soil has dried out or not by the weight of the cup.

It shouldn't matter that you started later since you  can probably grow year-round.  I'd suggest getting some kind of shade cloth for when it's very hot and sunny as even peppers don't like it much above 90 degrees.  I also agree that some way to block wind would also be useful at least early on, then once they're bigger you can either stake them or get cages for them.

Suezotiger said:
It shouldn't matter that you started later since you  can probably grow year-round.  I'd suggest getting some kind of shade cloth for when it's very hot and sunny as even peppers don't like it much above 90 degrees.  I also agree that some way to block wind would also be useful at least early on, then once they're bigger you can either stake them or get cages for them.
Close to, but not quite year around. There are two weeks in January that they will need to be indoors... As to wind, better to let them get stronger now... If a tropical storm comes you want them as strong as possible. Stick fans on them indoors, and when possible outdoors... plant them closer together than normal so they help hold each other in place. I can say from experience that works - however if you find your garden covered in saltwater you're done for the year... very little you can do to come back from that besides keep your fingers crossed.

Back