• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

New Year Mystery

I planted some chocolate habanero seeds and the plants have just produced their first pods.

3 of them produced chocolate habaneros, but one of them produced this :-

IMG_0927.JPG

The pod is around 3 inches long. I am wondering if it could be a yellow version of a Naga Jolokia (If that exists)?

Hard to tell but something seems off with the shape of the leaves, the parent pod *may* have crossed with something not in the Chinense family.

If the pepper turns out a winner, then maybe isolate a few flowers to get pure/uncrossed seeds.  Repeat that process for 6-8 seasons and you'll have it stabilized. In future generations, only save seeds from pods that have the attributes you are looking for.

Were the seeds your own? If so then try to remember some of the neighboring plants from last season, one of them may have crossed with your chocolate hab.

Edit: almost forgot, it could have sprouted from a misplaced seed as well. But the pod does have the unusual look of a chinense + annuum cross imho.

Jetchuka said:
Hard to tell but something seems off with the shape of the leaves, the parent pod *may* have crossed with something not in the Chinense family.

If the pepper turns out a winner, then maybe isolate a few flowers to get pure/uncrossed seeds.  Repeat that process for 6-8 seasons and you'll have it stabilized. In future generations, only save seeds from pods that have the attributes you are looking for.

Were the seeds your own? If so then try to remember some of the neighboring plants from last season, one of them may have crossed with your chocolate hab.

Edit: almost forgot, it could have sprouted from a misplaced seed as well. But the pod does have the unusual look of a chinense + annuum cross imho.

The 4 plants were all grown from seeds supplied by a reputable vendor and are growing in an isolated garden at the back of my house. The only plants in the garden are these 4 plants (3 chocolate habs plus whatever this one is)

Technically I guess the mystery plant could be some annuum variety that crossed with the chocolate habs growing near it, but it seems more likely that it is just a random chinense variety seed that got mixed up in the packet of habanero seeds?

I looked at some images of Fatalii chilies and it does look similar to me. Here is one example i found. The color is a little lighter, but maybe it will darken up as it ripens?  The size is pretty similar too - 3 inches / 7 cm. 

u01.%20fatalii%20yellow%20FR.jpg

Not saying it isn't, but out of the many, many  Fatalii pods i've had, i don't recall seeing one with that cone / cylindrical shape. But, you never know !

Perhaps Fatalii is in the bloodline somewhere though.

If it is a cross, some of the pods in the succeeding generations often reveal clues as to who the parents are.

Tasting it could help with identification. Does it taste like a Jolokia, does it taste citrusy like a fatalii, or does it taste different than either of those types? I agree that it looks crossed with an annuum and it certainly looks pretty. If it tastes good, you have a winner regardless of heritage. Enjoy.

I've tried Jolokias but I have never seen or tasted a Fatalii. I like the sound of a citrus flavored pod, so I'll see if I can track some down.

I'll give it a couple of days to ripen fully and then see what it tastes like and how hot it is. if it tastes good, I'll keep the seeds in any case.

Back