• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Newb Here...

So, I stumbled across this forum the other day while i was looking up some different salsas and hot sauces. I was immedietly sucked in, and found alot of the discussions and information extremely interesting. With that being said, I'm extremely interested in making my own hot sauce. From what I've been reading it doesn't seem to difficult to make a simple hot sauce. So where do i start? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

So my main question is this...How can I get a flavorful sauce that isn't so chunky/mealy. The second time around my sauce has a thick consistency, but it isn't thick as in a thick sauce its more of a chunky almost paste like consistency...similiar to sriracha, but more so. Are food mills a must have for straining? Do you guys think the problem lies with my blender? It was a relatively cheap blender. Would i be better suited using a food processor?

What do you guys think? I want more control over the consistency of my sauce. 

I've used a food processor before and a blender left it more well blended. But then again I used a vitamix. I don't think a processor will thin it out like a blender...maybe add more water and when you simmer take the foam that forms off the top. I made a habanero siracha and it came out perfect. I blended the ingredients raw then boiled removed foam and then re blended again when it was hot to break it down even more.

LA 2 the Bay said:
I've used a food processor before and a blender left it more well blended. But then again I used a vitamix. I don't think a processor will thin it out like a blender...maybe add more water and when you simmer take the foam that forms off the top. I made a habanero siracha and it came out perfect. I blended the ingredients raw then boiled removed foam and then re blended again when it was hot to break it down even more.

Thanks for the comparison. I guess I'll just keep trying different things until I find something that works. Really looking to make something with a consistency more similar to tabasco. HAve you ever used a food mill for any of your sauces? 

Slr138 said:
Thanks for the comparison. I guess I'll just keep trying different things until I find something that works. Really looking to make something with a consistency more similar to tabasco. HAve you ever used a food mill for any of your sauces?
I use a food mill on fine screen or medium then fine boil mash for 20 min then run through food mill then back in pot simmer again for 30 minutes into my ninja and cycle thru speeds for 6 min then back into pan simmer 10/15 min more checking consistency if not happy back thru food mill on fine screen sauces come out beautiful!! :)
Definitely invest in a food mill and good blender food processor won't do it properly. I think smoke and the rest of the gang have flavor profile set. Definitely use SmokenFire method his sauces are the bomb perfect balance!!

Slr138 said:

Really looking to make something with a consistency more similar to tabasco. HAve you ever used a food mill for any of your sauces? 

My sauce making method uses a food processor, a food mill and stick blender.  All sauce ingredients are put through the food processor to chop em up, then I cook that resultant mash.  After it's simmered and everything's softened nicely I put that through the food mill.  For Tobasco type taste/texture use the smallest screen plate.  Once milled, the sauce is brought back up to a simmer and tasted/adjusted as needed.  When I'm happy with the balance I stick blend the absolute kung fuey out of it to emulsify and then bottle while hot.  

Basic 'tobasco style' beginner hot sauce recipe:

1 lb red ripe tobasco peppers.  Substitute ripe jalas, fresnos, or other red hot pepper as can be found. Augment a batch this small with one or two small hotter peppers to kick up heat to desired levels.
1 clove garlic
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 tsp salt

Food process it all up.  Turn out into a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer 20 minutes, turn off heat.
Allow to cool a bit, then put through food mill or fine mesh strainer into another sauce pan.  Be sure to get the pulp pushing out the bottom!
Heat the milled sauce, taste and adjust (I like a bit of buckwheat honey and maybe a lil more salt) then stick blend well.  Hot fill and hold your bottles.  

That produces a 'louisiana style' red hot sauce; hot with a salty vinegar tang and overall mild to medium heat.  Throw a couple dried chiles into the pot and cook a bit longer and you'd be amazed.  Try adding different types of peppers, the recipe scales easily.  :)  

Back