• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie grower

That has crossed my mind, I'm sure by mid august I'll stack them, just patiently waiting for the first set of fruit, I'm like a little kid in the candy store

I also have another question for all the vets and experts, I suspect I over did the fert on the last feeding, I put 3 tablespoons of chicken manure, and found that I had a few little black bugs with wings chilling in the soil, so I raked the ferts into the top soil and since then they're gone, I'm due next week for another feed of ferts and a spray of epsom salt, should I halt in the chicken manure and wait another week and go ahead and just spray the plant, so I'm off setting feedings by a week, opinions ??

Just use a stake and maybe a tomato cage and you're good. I use silica for my plants cuz i live in a high wind area in southern california and silica is spose to make the stems stronger. This is my first year using it and my plants seem pretty strong but i have no test plants cuz ive done it with all of them so i cant comment on the effectiveness. Good luck! Your plants look great! I would also take it easy on the chicken ferts. Its a very hot fert and can burn your roots. Its a great fertilizer, but in low doses. Very low doses..

If you have a hydroponic store locally they should have it. All i use on my peppers FYI is worm castings, kelp extract and water soluble silica and my plants are doing great. Keep it simple, dont over fertilize and dont over water and your plants will thank you.

And if you suspect you over did the fertilizer, flush your soil really well. I see you're growing in pots so flushing the soil shouldnt cause any problems.

I think I would have to search deep, with my busy work schedule I think it would be easier to order online, if that is at all possible

Not repotting, but watering the hell out of it to flush the excess fert out the bottom. As long as you have a well drained pot with plenty of drainage holes in the bottom.

The over fertilizing doesnt have much to do with pests as it does with the effect on the plants. Too much chicken fert will burn the roots but if youre noticing little bugs on the soil that might be fungus gnats and those are caused by over watering and poor air circulation. Its more of a problem with indoor growing than outdoor. If you let the top layer of soil dry out before watering again it should solve it.

I've lowered my watering down to every 3-4 days, our summer thus far is very mild and chilly. Every 3rd day I put my finger in the soil and judge from there, if it's feeling dry I'll give it a light water

Yea i hear ya. Theres not an exact science on when to water but peppers tend to like the soil a little more dry than most people think. Let it dry out a day or two past what you think and they'll do great.

Just slightly concerned about the climate then anything, I know these bad boys love hot humid temps, but we've had very few hot days this summer, I've had quiet some flower drop. Probably weather related

Back