• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie looking for feedback and help.

Hi all. I'm new to hydroponics and gardening in general. I recently started growing peppers using the kratky method. Currently I have three Mesilla Hybrids growing in hydroton and two Giant Ozark Bell peppers growing in rockwool and hydroton. All my plants are in 3 inch net cups seated inside 9 oz solo cups. I started five seeds of each originally using the paper towel method. Four of 5 Mesilla's came in but I accidently snapped one root off pulling it off the towel. Three of 5 Ozarks came in but didn't go anywhere, so I got rid of them and replanted three in rockwool. Two of the 3 came in using the rockwool. Being a first time grower, I'm scared to death every step of the way that I'm gonna f**k up my plants. I've relied heavily so far on the teachings of MHPGardener, Khang Starr and Pepper_Rancher. I'm on disability and have had trouble finding employment my whole life, so I'm very eager to hopefully make a career out of growing and selling peppers, tomatoes and other produce down the line. If successful, I'd like to branch out into hot sauces and persevered peppers by the jar full. One day I hope to own a restaurant catering to fans of spicy food.

I'm using Hydroponics Tomato Fertilizer 20-18-38 which I bought off Amazon. I purchased my seeds off Tomato Growers Supply. I also purchased Bhut Jolokia seeds but I didn't start them because I wanted to wait and see if I had any success. Today I purchased Hungarian Hot Wax, Bounty Hybrid and Giant Marconi Hybrid peppers as well as Richardson tomatoes. In addition to hydroton, I also purchased Pro-Mix BX which is still sitting in its bag unopened.

Anyway... I'd like to get some feedback from the experts. I'd like to know what you think of my growbox and plants so far. Anything you can read or see that I've done wrong so far? I feel I need to prune, but even after reading this sites FAQ on topping and pruning as well as watching Khang Starr on this issue, I'm uncertain, fearing that I'll screw up. Should the rockwool be covered over by hydroton? How long before I need to transplant my cayenne into grow buckets? How long can I expect my plants to last if next winter I top and overwinter them? I purchased 5 gallon buckets and pvc pipes from Home Depot. However now I'm tempted to purchase 10 inch net pots and just fill the buckets up with nutrients instead of pro-mix or whatever. Which method would you guys recommend? I saw on this site that a guy transplanted a ghost pepper plant into a 20 gallon garbage can; the root structure was HUGE!

My hillbilly grow box was based off an example I saw on YouTube. Its made from an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Its lined with tinfoil and uses a 150 watt clamp light, fitted with a 100 watt equivalent, 23 watt actual light bulb producing 1,600 lumens and 5,000 kelvins.

20160304_212820.jpg

20160304_212930.jpg

My plants and their roots. The three in the back are Cayenne. The two in front are Ozark Bell peppers.

20160304_212848.jpg

20160304_213245.jpg

20160304_213028.jpg
20160304_213144.jpg

20160304_212949.jpg
20160304_213022.jpg

A week gone by, 118 views and no replies? :tear:

Anyway, here's an update on my plants after I pruned them. I used scissors to prune them. I haven't seen any growth from the cut stubs. Anyway, given the rate of growth, can someone educate me on if its time to transplant them into 5 gallon buckets and stick em outside? I've also made up a gallon of full strength nutrients for them but I've yet to feed em it because they are still trying to finish off the lower strength solution still in their solo cups.

20160308_125256.jpg
20160308_125512.jpg

FB_IMG_1457459409070.jpg

Another update. I think my cayenne pepper plants are almost ready for transplant. Certainly the little 9 oz solo cups aren't helping the root growth. I made one a larger container from a family size can of parmesan cheese from BJs. I've also made my first 5 gallon grow bucket for future transplant according to the specifications of Pepper_Rancher. However I'm uncertain how far to bury my plant though. I snapped a good picture of the roots of one plant. Can somebody tell me if its still too soon to transplant? I've decided to use Pro-Mix BX to fill my grow buckets instead of just going with water and hydroton. Judging from the roots, what is the risk of damage to the roots when it comes time to remove them from the hydroton?

225683_1565400170438021_3272025896326431555_n.jpg

12141620_1565404793770892_4203020463038936801_n.jpg
12239538_1565404803770891_405682481969266360_n.jpg
12832390_1565404813770890_2266620757243584862_n.jpg

1913554_1565400180438020_1604166521257750653_n.jpg
10524335_1565400190438019_9106009494835597150_n.jpg

The seedlings are looking good!  Nice roots, nice leaves. 
I think you're doing fine, but I'll try to answer a few of your questions from my opinion/experience:

I'd like to know what you think of my growbox and plants so far.
Pretty neat.  With the growbox just be aware of the temprature, it looks like it could get hot in there, you dont want to cook them .

I feel I need to prune.
This is a touchy subject for some people, but I have never pruned my peppers before, and I have had some pretty huge plants... 

Should the rockwool be covered over by hydroton?
Dont worry about it too much!  I would say yes, but the only reason would be to limit/prevent algae growth on the rockwool if it is exposed to light.  If algae did grow... it would not be the end of the world...

How long before I need to transplant my cayenne into grow buckets?
Use your outside climate condition as the guide, make sure it is past the last freezing date, and also make sure you harden off the plants before leaving them out in the sun and wind all day.

How long can I expect my plants to last if next winter I top and overwinter them?
A very long number of years...  I re-start my plants every year, so im not sure, but pepper plants are perennial with indeterminate growth.

I purchased 5 gallon buckets and pvc pipes from Home Depot. However now I'm tempted to purchase 10 inch net pots and just fill the buckets up with nutrients instead of pro-mix or whatever
Do you mean to make a kratky bucket with no soil?  The difficulty would be in anchoring the plant.  Personally I recommend using the soil as in my 5 gallon grow bucket design.  I can give more opinion on large kratky peppers with a support structure after this season, I will have a few experimental plants going.

Hope that helps a bit... dont worry too much about all of the small details!

pepper_rancher said:
The seedlings are looking good!  Nice roots, nice leaves. 
I think you're doing fine, but I'll try to answer a few of your questions from my opinion/experience:

I'd like to know what you think of my growbox and plants so far.
Pretty neat.  With the growbox just be aware of the temprature, it looks like it could get hot in there, you dont want to cook them .

I feel I need to prune.
This is a touchy subject for some people, but I have never pruned my peppers before, and I have had some pretty huge plants... 

Should the rockwool be covered over by hydroton?
Dont worry about it too much!  I would say yes, but the only reason would be to limit/prevent algae growth on the rockwool if it is exposed to light.  If algae did grow... it would not be the end of the world...

How long before I need to transplant my cayenne into grow buckets?
Use your outside climate condition as the guide, make sure it is past the last freezing date, and also make sure you harden off the plants before leaving them out in the sun and wind all day.

How long can I expect my plants to last if next winter I top and overwinter them?
A very long number of years...  I re-start my plants every year, so im not sure, but pepper plants are perennial with indeterminate growth.

I purchased 5 gallon buckets and pvc pipes from Home Depot. However now I'm tempted to purchase 10 inch net pots and just fill the buckets up with nutrients instead of pro-mix or whatever
Do you mean to make a kratky bucket with no soil?  The difficulty would be in anchoring the plant.  Personally I recommend using the soil as in my 5 gallon grow bucket design.  I can give more opinion on large kratky peppers with a support structure after this season, I will have a few experimental plants going.

Hope that helps a bit... dont worry too much about all of the small details!

First, I'd like to thank you for you taking the time to address my questions. Second, yes kratky method all the way. I've decided to go with the Pro-Mix hence the grow bucket of your design. Could you tell me how to fill the bucket and bury the plant? What I mean is, do I fill the bucket half way with Pro-Mix or do I fill it all the way to the top and hope the roots quickly grow down into the net cup and bucket holes? As for the climate, its really starting to heat up down here in Sarasota. Sarasota is in climate zone 9B or 10 depending on what map you go by. We have a very short frost period and though its spring with a nice breeze, the midday temperatures are already back in the low 80's.

As for the small stuff... I'll try to take that advice. Given my personality, no promises though lol. :cheers:

Hydroponic_Noob said:

First, I'd like to thank you for you taking the time to address my questions. Second, yes kratky method all the way. I've decided to go with the Pro-Mix hence the grow bucket of your design. Could you tell me how to fill the bucket and bury the plant? What I mean is, do I fill the bucket half way with Pro-Mix or do I fill it all the way to the top and hope the roots quickly grow down into the net cup and bucket holes? As for the climate, its really starting to heat up down here in Sarasota. Sarasota is in climate zone 9B or 10 depending on what map you go by. We have a very short frost period and though its spring with a nice breeze, the midday temperatures are already back in the low 80's.

As for the small stuff... I'll try to take that advice. Given my personality, no promises though lol. :cheers:

Fill the bucket all the way to the top.  I recommend covering the top with plastic (with a slit cut out for the plant to poke through), so will want to mound the soil even higher than the top of the bucket (when the plastic covers it, it causes rain water to run off of it, not into the middle).
Dont worry about the roots reaching the bottom right away, if you are using a peat-based mix, it will wick enough water/nutrients up to where the roots are... and if you think its not, you can always top-water for a while.

Ok so I've put my 3 cayenne pepper plants outside to harden them. I just brought them in and one of them looks like this. What is that white "scar" on the leaf? Is it bugs?

20160314_190655.jpg

Back