• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Newbie looking for something sweeter than the Carolina Reaper.

I'm new to the forums and kind of new to super hots. I have only been enjoying these baneful beasts for about two years now and I need more sweet and more heat. I've heard of the Chocolate Bhutlah but I can not find any. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to THP.

I do not think you will find more heat than the Carolina Reaper.  Some seem about the same.  Primo comes to mind.  But you mentioned sweet also.  Grew some new peppers this year.  Our farm continues to focus on super hots, but adding rare sweet and aiming for restaurants.  Growing this year mostly for seed stock, next year to tempt local chefs.

So far have tasted Trinidad Scorpion Sweet and Star of Turkey, but have others like Trinidad Cherry and Perfume coming along.  Of the two I have tasted, I am in love. Star of Turkey was hotter.  Sweet Scorpion was sweeter.  Both are good green or ripe.  Both hotter when ripe.  With a dressing, I could watch a movie and dip those little guys for two hours.  So very much more to peppers than whose the hottest in the world.

Now dont get me wrong.  In cooking, I do very much like the super hots.  But damn, it is like 100 degrees these days.  Who the hell wants to cook?

I have Bhutlahs from the Tennessee genetics and from the UK genetics. I think the UK genetics have a stronger taste, but chocolates aren't really sweet. The new Apocalypse Scorpions have a bit of a sweet taste, and they are very hot. I just started picking those a couple of weeks ago. Even though they aren't hot, the Aji Jobito has a sweet taste. Tom

cycadjungle said:
I have Bhutlahs from the Tennessee genetics and from the UK genetics. I think the UK genetics have a stronger taste, but chocolates aren't really sweet. The new Apocalypse Scorpions have a bit of a sweet taste, and they are very hot. I just started picking those a couple of weeks ago. Even though they aren't hot, the Aji Jobito has a sweet taste. Tom

I've been considering getting some Apocalypse Scorpions, is there anything more you can tell us about them?

I ate a Yellow Naga Brain Strain yesterday. It was deliciously sweet. Not the hottest but hot enough to provide considerable entertainment value.

spicefreak said:
I've been considering getting some Apocalypse Scorpions, is there anything more you can tell us about them?
They grow pretty well and produce really good sized pods. They aren't as hot as they look. Along the line of a Wartryx. Less hot than reapers, primos, and brain strains. It has a cool name, but I don't see people making a big deal on this one. It looks badass and for people who do videos, they will be good. Tom

cycadjungle said:
They grow pretty well and produce really good sized pods. They aren't as hot as they look. Along the line of a Wartryx. Less hot than reapers, primos, and brain strains. It has a cool name, but I don't see people making a big deal on this one. It looks badass and for people who do videos, they will be good. Tom

Does it have that clavical and then upwards burn that some have said or is that all hype too?

Strange question as it clearly has a nutsack split by fence line read to it
You are either hot on or hot off,you get both whether the strain is ranked super or not
There are far to many variances [per plant] to shift thru for data consistency
Buy'em and/or grow them
Only way to know is to bite'em,chew and swallow

spicefreak said:
Does it have that clavical and then upwards burn that some have said or is that all hype too?
I don't understand this question exactly. Nothing special. We do judge the type of burn on peppers when I bring them to hot pepper night though. The ones I have tried do not hit you hard at once, which reapers do that. It built a little for about 30 seconds. The intensity was also less then a reaper. What set in the longest was that it burned mainly your tounge, so after most all the pain was gone, the tounge was still burning. Even though we did try a textbook looking AS the first time, many do not look this way. So like anything variable, I have a couple plants with slightly bitter pods, less hot pods, and that kind of thing. One thing, the ones with more bumps on the end, aren't very different from smoother ones. Tom

They have a good bite ,
HPIM2562.JPG

I grew out some PL strain Primo last season
Most had great heat and flavor.
What was strange was seversl plants dropped yellow pods from red dominate
Not only that,some of the larger pods had very little heat,great fresh flavor
But sub jap heat,like that of a starfish pod.

cycadjungle said:
I don't understand this question exactly. Nothing special. We do judge the type of burn on peppers when I bring them to hot pepper night though. The ones I have tried do not hit you hard at once, which reapers do that. It built a little for about 30 seconds. The intensity was also less then a reaper. What set in the longest was that it burned mainly your tounge, so after most all the pain was gone, the tounge was still burning. Even though we did try a textbook looking AS the first time, many do not look this way. So like anything variable, I have a couple plants with slightly bitter pods, less hot pods, and that kind of thing. One thing, the ones with more bumps on the end, aren't very different from smoother ones. Tom

Most video reviews seemed to suggest that they hit most in the upper chest region at the base of the neck (clavical/collar bone area) and then worked their way upwards. It sounded unique and exciting but if, as you say, it's mostly tongue burn, the pepper clearly has nothing but looks going for it. Shame but thanks for the info.

Back