• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie needs advice!

Hi everyone! Beginning chili head here....

I have in the garden now:

10 Green pepper plants producing massive amounts....
1 Lilac pepper plant with 4 large peppers growing...
6 Jalapeno plants producing nicely....
1 Thai pepper plant beginning to produce.....
1 Hot Portugal Pepper with lots of large peppers and one turning bright red...

I love watching them grow! :P

Now the questions:

1.) Where is the best place to get seeds on the net? Any in the states?
2.) Would like to add 5 varieties of medium/low intensity hot peppers with lots of flavor and color. What would you pick? I have to go slow with these things...

Thanks Jason

in response to where to buy seeds i say either

Thepeppergal.com
Rainbow chili seeds
Peppermania
or PepperJoes. ( this was recommended. Dont really know about how good the recommendation is )

Welcome from Lake Constance, Germany!
Medium heat, a lot of flavor, nice color? Lemon drop is a fine choice. Poblano, Jalapeno, Serrano are fine. And there is a habanero-related chinense variety with moderate heat and a lot of flavor. I don't remember the name now and haven't tasted it myself. But I'm sure someone here will help out. Pepperonis and pepperoncinis are available in a variety of heat levels. The Turkish variety I grow has some moderate heat and a lot of fruity flavor. It makes a tasty powder and the fresh pods fit perfectly into a salad.

Armadillo said:
Serrano are fine.

I second that. You won't be disappointed with them. Take the plunge and get some habaneros too. I grew these the first time I had chilli plants in the garden. Just use sparingly in cooking and you'll soon be wanting more.

This is also my first year and I cook with a lot of powders so I got a lot of cayenne variates and also enjoy flavorful sweet varieties so I got some of those also. I do have a list of superhots, but since they are so hot I didn't get as many of those. Here is my list of NONE super hot peppers

Aji Cereza
Bola
Cayenne, Processing
Fresno
Hot Paper Lantern
Aji Pineapple
Aji Angelo
Inca Red Drop
Aji Chinchi Amarillo
INDONESIAN
ISLAND HELLFIRE
LAMUYO