• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie, papery yellow leaves.

Growing for the first time this year, started out with the long slim cayenne plant, since it was the only seeds i could get at my local shop.

Started them in yoghurt cups and have repotted at regular intervals as the roots grew, never letting them get root bound. Was at 1L containers when I got hold of some 10L ones that a local supermarket was throwing away. Repotted the two biggest plants that had just began forming flowers (yay). As a consequence they got to big for my windowstill so started putting them out during the day -roughly 10 days ago.

Now they show a slight yellowing on some of the leaves, pale and papery, and I wonder what have caused it, I did not harden them off, the sun is still weak here and most dayhæs have been cloudy. So did not think it was that important. Air temperature have been 10-15C (50-60F) and the temperature of the soil a bit higher. ( retaining some warmt from beeing indoor and also because of the black containers.

My feeding schedule have been sporadic at best, using a bit o everything, started out with a organic fertilizer mixed at 1/2 strength, but my girlfriend started complaining about the smell so I switched to this supermarket one,7+1+6, feeding every 4th time I water. I also feed them with water I've boiled vegetables in.

http://m.imgur.com/qnaPDWd

http://m.imgur.com/7aWJsNy

(Sorry, could not figure out how to post images from my cellphone)

I think it might be sunburn. Even though the sunlight may seem weak, it's still a big shock to unhardened plants. Only give them maybe an hour or two of direct sunlight each day - and not between 10 am through 2 pm. When they get used to that after a few days, increase their time and intensity incrementally.

edit: Even on a cloudy day, I think ~80% of the sun's UV energy reaches ground level. Those are the rays that burn tissue. The best way to mitigate it is to avoid times when the sun is highest in the sky. Or use a sunscreen.

Let em dry out till they wilt, then water.

Yellow leaves can be a result of over watering.

Also magnesium deficiency(epsom salts will help fix this).

Sun burn, maybe, but doesnt sound likely in your scenario.

If yellow leaves get bad enough the plant will drop them.

Ive tried all the tricks and still get yellowing of leaves and the plant eventually drops them, doesnt really bother me.  If my whole plant turned yellow, I would get concerned.

For future reference... When using Imgur, and you want your images to show in your posts, use the 'BB code' as your link option. Just copy it, and then paste directly in your posts. Good luck!

Edit:
Just went back and looked at your pix. Do you have much drainage materials (like perlite)in your soil?

Thanks for the answers :)
It might be that I have had poor drainage, have just used course sand in a 15-20% ratio, so purchased a bag of perlite today and have mixed it in with the soil, luckily the roots had not grown a lot so was able to dig out the plant without damaging them too much.

Regarding magnesium, is there any other good sources than Epson salt? They did not even know what it was at the garden/utility center I have close by, they asked if I talking about course salt used for anti-freeze on the road! -that's Norway for you, I guess. Found some online, but would be nice to just use something else so I don't have to pay for shipping.

Hoywin said:
Regarding magnesium, is there any other good sources than Epson salt? They did not even know what it was at the garden/utility center I have close by, they asked if I talking about course salt used for anti-freeze on the road! -that's Norway for you, I guess. Found some online, but would be nice to just use something else so I don't have to pay for shipping.

In the US you can find epsom salt in the pharmacy section of most grocery stores, it's more commonly used in medicine than in gardening.

Hi guys, dont want to hijack the link but is this the same thing? It is only on a few of my plants and not just one type, i think they have looked this way since birth.

reaper creeper said:
Hi guys, dont want to hijack the link but is this the same thing? It is only on a few of my plants and not just one type, i think they have looked this way since birth.

Looks to me like they got sun burnt a little. Did you have them near a window or direct sun? I don't think it's a deficiency. The new leaves look healthy. Don't take my word for it. I'm not an expert. I'm just sharing my experiences. I would let the plants take its coarse if they were mine. I wouldn't let them get to dry or to wet. Maybe someone else could chime in. Good luck and welcome

ya i had them outside for about a week, daylight hours only and i have soe more in a bay window that gets a lot of light. They do look healthy enough but they do tend to h
get a bit dry once in awhile, which i thought pepper plants prefer. Thanks for the input

Plants are looking a lot better now, most of the leaves are back to normal, the worst ones are still yellow, but it's just a couple so I'll choose to ignore those. I think it must have been sun damage or over watering, I've let them begin to wilt a bit before every watering now.

Also finally found epsom salt today at a store that sell alternative medicine and fancy tea, so sprayed a diluted mixture of that on the leaves ( half a teaspoon to a liter of water)

Flowering have really taken of the last week, and many of them have started forming pods, in five days 3 of the pods have grown from nothing to almost 5 cm! 

KSPu5TC.jpg

27uLrXU.jpg

gwAyzPR.jpg

Back