• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Newbie question

I've made a couple of batches of hot sauce that turned out well, but I kept it simple to start. Chilis, salt and vinegar. Now I'm ready to go a little farther. I have some nice red habanero ready to go. If I use some fruit, is canned OK or does it have to be fresh (peaches, mango, papaya). For a little sweetener is there a problem with molasses or cane syrup or should I stick with white or brown sugar?

Thanks for any guidance.

Sweet Daddy D said:
I've made a couple of batches of hot sauce that turned out well, but I kept it simple to start. Chilis, salt and vinegar. Now I'm ready to go a little farther. I have some nice red habanero ready to go. If I use some fruit, is canned OK or does it have to be fresh (peaches, mango, papaya). For a little sweetener is there a problem with molasses or cane syrup or should I stick with white or brown sugar?

Thanks for any guidance.

The only thing I would be Leary about was the Ingredients of canned fruit preservatives and unnatural ingredients, Also canned fruit is really sweet.

If you're talking a simple cooked sauce then canned fruit is fine.  All fruits you listed will work well with habs. Both molasses and cane syrup are fine, though I'd recommend to go easy on the molasses as it takes over quickly.  Use your same basic recipe from before, adding canned fruit.  Cook a bit and taste - maybe it's molasses time?  Maybe a touch more vinegar or salt?  Perhaps a touch of cane syrup?  The fruit might provide all the sweetness you need.  

I would not add canned fruit to any mash I intended to ferment.  Preservatives contained within will inhibit lacto growth.  

Please be sure to follow up with results and pics!  :)

JohnsMyName said:
Is this for ferment or straight sauce?
Canned fruit is fine, but always inferior to fresh. Any sugar is fine, but keep in mind the flavors they carry. I'm a fan of agave as well, and sometimes honey. I use brown sugar in ferments for depth depending on pepper.
Not fermented, just a cooked sauce.
SmokenFire said:
If you're talking a simple cooked sauce then canned fruit is fine.  All fruits you listed will work well with habs. Both molasses and cane syrup are fine, though I'd recommend to go easy on the molasses as it takes over quickly.  Use your same basic recipe from before, adding canned fruit.  Cook a bit and taste - maybe it's molasses time?  Maybe a touch more vinegar or salt?  Perhaps a touch of cane syrup?  The fruit might provide all the sweetness you need.  

I would not add canned fruit to any mash I intended to ferment.  Preservatives contained within will inhibit lacto growth.  

Please be sure to follow up with results and pics!  :)
Thanks, this will be a cooked sauce. Sounds like good advice. If this goes well, I'm trying fermentation next.

canned fruits are fine with cooked sauces. 

Definitely be aware if the canned fruits have sugars in them or if its only fruit in a juice or water.   If the canned fruit has a sugar syrup, you can drain the syrup and then maybe add some sugars later in the process, or just account for the sugar content of the canned fruit with syrup and reduce any other sugars.  This is just talking about the sweetness of the sauce.  For proper processing of any of these sauces, check out Making Hot Sauce 101.

An option to canned fruit is frozen fruit.  It's kinda spendy on the small scale, but you can get IQF (individual quick frozen) fruits at grocery stores with minimal or no added sugars.  Just quick-frozen fruit, but usually with some citric acid or something to keep it from turning color.  If you want a 'bunch" of a certain fruit, ask your local market or the market's deli about ordering a case of frozen fruit through their food service delivery company. 

Have Fun!  and Post Pics!   we luv pics!

:D
SL

brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added.  you can make it yourself in a food processor and it tastes better than the store bought.  that being said use brown sugar if you want a richer sweetness use molasses if you want it to taste like molasses.

Back