• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Newest Ferment - Easy and Fun!

SmokenFire

Staff Member
Business Member
Here is the ferment I finished yesterday.

Recipe step by step:

You need:

1 half gallon (64oz) mason jar, airlock, large mouth band and,

1 pound red ripe jalas or fresnos or hungarian finger hots (this batch done w jalapenos) - stemmed
8 ounces habaneros - stemmed
1 pound carrots - trimmed
1 pound onions - quartered
6 ounces of garlic cloves - skinned
40 grams of canning or pickling salt (my scale does both grams and ounces.  40 grams = 1.41 ounces)

1. Trim and stem your ingredients.  Be smart and wear gloves.  I use our meat scissors to stem the peppers and cut them into smaller pieces.
2, Throw everything into the food processor and press play (note this recipe amount requires 2 batches in normal sized food processor)
3. Add salt while machine is running
4. Pour out mash into large bowl and mix well - look for any larger chunks and grind em up fine
5. Spoon into sanitized jar and seal with airlock
6. Wait about 4 weeks.  Monitor mash throughout that time period to make sure its doing all the right things.

Total time needed: About 10 minutes to stem and trim, about 10 minutes to process and jar.  Zero to kickass in 20 minutes!

Provided everything went right* this fermented mash can then be moved to the fridge as is after 4 weeks.  You can spoon pure lovely joy outta the jar for however long it takes you to finish it OR you can take the whole batch and cook/food mill/cook/blend/bottle into hot sauce as so many around here like to do (myself included).  This recipe usually makes about 70 or so ounces, which will fill one 1/2 gallon mason jar all the way with a little left over to enjoy until the batch is ready.  Enjoy!

Photos:

The players:

x0wtq8.jpg

the blended mash after food processor:

33ojxvk.jpg

jarred up and ready to chill:

i422jb.jpg

In four or so weeks this will be a complex and wonderful product with nice immediate hit of heat followed by some sweetness from the carrot and savory from the garlic and onion - with a good lasting burn.  I'd say non chile heads will think this is just about fire, whereas we'd call it a 4 or 5 on a ten point scale.  Feel free to substitute your favorite peppers but try to keep the ratios roughly the same as the recipe is well balanced as is.  

*Save yourself some frustration and read up on the fermenting thread before you start in order to keep your ferments from going south.  The info here on THP helped me immensely when I was first starting out.  Always use common sense and good sanitation along with your eyes and nose!

As a newbie to this forum and fermenting, this thread is Gold. Sticky this gem right under the fermentation 101 thread. 

The pics of the process take all the guess work out of how to assemble and make a fermented sauce without water, whey, or other starters. Just Nature, Salt and Time.

Now I finally understand 

Thanks for including a shot of the food mill in use.  I just bought one and have yet to use it so it's nice to see.  I'll be watching some youtubes before use as well but from your pic it looks pretty straight forward.

wayright said:
I pulled this one out last night ,my red Jalapeno ferment  ;)

It was started last October along with several others using this thread as a guide,,,thanks Dru  :beer:

Milled ,Processed,,and is one of the most delicious sauces I have ever made 

Thats whats up

:cool:
Kevin

emanphoto said:
Thanks for including a shot of the food mill in use.  I just bought one and have yet to use it so it's nice to see.  I'll be watching some youtubes before use as well but from your pic it looks pretty straight forward.

They are very easy to use!  Just select your desired screen, put the mill together, add your mash and give the handle a twist.  ;)

SmokenFire said:

They are very easy to use!  Just select your desired screen, put the mill together, add your mash and give the handle a twist.  ;)
You're right! ;)
Both I and the maid are happy about this.  This particular model is made by Pujadas and is heavy gauge steel.  Cost 3800THB/$113US to get this 25cm model so a pretty pricey item.  They had cheaper ones but you could tell.  Surprisingly this same model costs more in AUS than here which is a rarity.  
IMG378611531986715.jpg

Back