• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Next Fermenting Journey

These are relatively similar ferments to what I've done before, but added a few new twists, and will be doing something different at the end to compare results. I've never done mango and pineapple together and have never used scorpion peppers.

Ingredients:

2 half gallon mason jars with approximately the following ingredients (all listed per jar):

200 g peppers (mostly older red/orange habs (from 2013 harvest), 1 trinidad yellow scorpion (from this year), and two red something super hot (can't remember what variety - i know, I'm a bad pepper guy), all deseeded)
Some mango, probably equivalent of 1.5 mangoes
Some pineapple, probably equivalent of .5 pineapple
3 carrots, food processor shred
2 yellow/orange bell pepper, chopped
1 head garlic, smashed
1 sweet yellow onion, food processor
1 T shredded ginger

Place into a half gallon jar, poured over brine of 5% (1 L water + 51g salt).

The fun and difference will come at the end when I am considering a few options.

1) Keep one standard with no changes.
2) Mix dry mustard powder into one to try to recreate an authentic Caribbean mustard style hab sauce (Bajan style).
3) Mix prepared (wet) mustard into one (or half of one) to recreate an authentic Caribbean mustard style hab sauce (Bajan style).

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the final product(s)!

That may or may not be a Lifetime movie in the background. :)

Next time, I might get crazy and try using some fresh turmeric root in the ferment, although I have no clue where I'll find that.

got one of the jars processed last night and did it with the mustard as discussed in the bajan-style thread I started.

it's really tasty, nice mustard taste, good heat, possibly a tad strong on the onion/garlic side, but that will marry as it sits (only processed last night).

This is the type of sauce that got me started down this journey, and I'm pumped to have finally created something like my inspiration.

Here's the ingredients all ready to roll (i added 1 cup of prepared yellow mustard to the half gallon jar):

After mixing together (looks like ro-tel cheese dip):

After puree:

Final product:

Ended up the color of turmeric root. Will probably process the other jar without mustard just so I have both available.

Thanks for the kind comments.

karoo said:
Looks great !
Did you get good fermentation?
Love the fruits.

Yes, the fermentation was quite good, very visible for a week or so then died down as usual.

JohnsMyName said:
Looks great! Update us on dried vs wet!!!

Not sure if I will try dry on the next one or just have it be a standard fermented sauce w/o mustard, but will certainly update you when I do so!

Back