• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair

Been thinking about it.. pretty sure I'm growing peppers because I'm bored.  Like, deeply, existentially bored.  Plus, a little harmless pain never hurt anybody, right?  Hell, it's probably even good for you.  We'll see if those are good enough reasons, I guess.  I bought me some "Scotch Bonnet Orange" seeds from Amazon before I found you fine folk, lurked around here for a while, then planted them anyway along with other, infinitely less suspect seeds I ordered from far flung places around the globe(!) as recommended by the very venerable Vendor Vault.  I've got them growing here by my chair.  I sit here and read. (The wall to my right as I took this picture is lined with bookshelves I'm slowing filling as I try to forget the world each afternoon.  Mostly scifi the last few years.)  It would be distracting to have a big boxy tent looming over me, so I've just got them sitting there on a cardboard box.  I hope to replace the box with a little table here soon.
20190111_225735.jpg

My rig consists of something like a quarter of the full Amazon Indoor Garden of Tomorrow-orrow-orrow-orrow ®.  This LED light I got is something else, man.  It's REALLY bright!  Paper towel germination, used a few Jiffy pellets, stuck some seeds straight in some old Miracle Grow I had, kept them in the Jiffy box there until they sprouted.  I'm glad to be rid of that Jiffy dome now; it was a pain in the ass.  Ahh.. let's see.. I'm mixing CNS17 Grow into RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, pouring it over my little darlings there in about 3:1 coco:perlite.  Just culled and potted up today to 3.5 inches.  All seems to be going well except for some slight canoeing of leaves, which I'm ready to blame on the 24% humidity (We wake up half mummified in the winter.  I know - grow tent.) and a few early spills on my rug.  Trying to keep it simple and not drive myself crazier futzing with dozens of parameters here, so I'm not going to sweat it unless things turn worse.  I'm not!  Worry verges on religion with me, so this will either be therapeutic or turn out to have been a bad idea.. 
Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings! 
20190111_225625.jpg

Your gonna need to keep drinking alot more vodka with all these new plants Eccoli...
Do you have a dog or cat?? I only ask cause I get hair liek that in my medium from the bloody dogs or is that just part of the mix?

CDNmatt said:
Your gonna need to keep drinking alot more vodka with all these new plants Eccoli...

Actually I'm going to need a lot more plants..  :shh:

CDNmatt said:
Do you have a dog or cat?? I only ask cause I get hair liek that in my medium from the bloody dogs or is that just part of the mix?

I've got two dogs, but that's part of the coco coir.

Walchit said:
Are you gonna plant in the dirt when you move them outside?

Encouraged by my brief experience with the vodka bottles, I'm thinking of growing these guys Kratky in half-gallon jars and/or 5-gallon buckets.  I just found a bunch of nice black buckets with lids at Home Depot.  

Will see how many I can get away with under my light, move them outside if I start to have problems.  Or buy another light, I guess.  Is it insane to think I might be able to keep them pruned smallish?  I'm afraid of bugs and don't need bushels of chili peppers, anyway.

Weekly update.  Everything is still (mostly) green and growing, but I'm having some problems next to my chair.  Diagnoses, please!

Here's everybody under the light.  All three new SB varieties are up.  I've got the humidity in the room up to around 40% - sometimes a bit lower - but I'm still seeing the slight cupping.  I now suspect the problems I'm seeing are down to something I'm doing wrong with my watering or feeding.  I'm mixing 15mL of CNS17 Grow into a gallon (as per the directions on the bottle) of RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, shooting for 6.5.  I've been watering with the nutrient solution every time (again, per the directions) the pots are so light I can hardly imagine there's much moisture left.  I've been watering far more infrequently over the past few days, though, and I've still never seen a plant seem like it's starting to wilt, so maybe I've been watering too much..
20190201_122522.jpg

This is an MOA Scotch bonnet.  He's turgid, but droopy.  The leaves are sort of textured, bubbly-looking.  I'm seeing this drooping and leaf texture with several of my plants.  The drooping seems more pronounced at the end of the day, least at the beginning.  Could it be heat?  Temps are mid-70s with light, upper-60s without light.  Or light intensity?  The light is 18 inches above the top of the tallest plants.
He's also not growing much foliage-wise, though the roots have been growing like crazy since he's been in the bottle.
20190201_121929.jpg

Here's another MOA.  Deformed leaves, cupping  I bet he'd be droopy, too, if he wasn't so close to the pot.
20190201_122017.jpg

NuMex Twilight.  One of my healthier-looking plants.  A little cupping, some discoloration (closer view in the next pic).
20190201_122232.jpg

Closer.  Yellow spots.  Cupping.
20190201_122238.jpg

Cayenne.  Major drooping at the end of the day.  Slight cupping.  Very slight discoloration like the Twilight shows.  Little flower buds up top?!
20190201_122340.jpg

Same cayenne, different angle.
20190201_122409.jpg

Reaper.  This guy's the worst off by far.  Looks pretty bad to me.
20190201_121821.jpg

Last one.  This leaf was dropped by the Amazon Special in the vodka bottle.  I'm seeing the beginnings of this in a few places on a few plants.  It's yellower than it looks in the photo.
20190201_082254.jpg

Most of them look pretty good to me. I've seen the yellowish areas in my plants before. I don't think it's a big deal.

The leaves will wilt in the summer sun and heat during the day but will straighten out later in the day.We're talking full sun on the gulf coast. I don't think that's happening next to your chair. What I've noticed in my very short tenure with LED arrays is the leaves will bleach out, darken, dry out and just generally get weird colors if the light is too close. I think my 1200W LED may fry plants at a stationary 18" altitude.

The reaper looks like hell. Nothing to say about that one. Do you see any tiny bugs under the leaves?

Might add a fan.

Your fertilizer has calcium and magnesium? It seems like I remember reading that low levels of one of those can cause issues. I wasn't sure if I was overwatering, had my light too close, or had a deffeciency last year so I just changed all three. I think I added more fans too.

I would guess the blotchiness of the numex twilight is slight edema. Get a small fan blowing directly at them from the side so they can transpire more water. A ceiling fan won't disrupt the boundary layer of leaves. Especially if the plants stay close together under your light. The dense foliage will contain too much humidity.

Product analysis for your fertilizer. Ca:Mg levels are ok. Maybe it's a micronutrient deficiency brought on by the Manganese. That's the only micro listed in the nutrient profile. Usually it needs to be balanced with iron 1Mn:2Fe, but the Reaper and the amazon special look more like copper deficiency affecting the tips and margins of newer leaves. That's just an oddball guess. I don't know this for sure.

Enjoy the links lol

I've actually had a little oscillating fan sitting there all along, but up until now it's brutalized the poor little fellers so I've relied on the ceiling fan.  I left the oscillating fan on last night, about to go in and see if they've all blown over.

Back