• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Next years grow idea

Next year I want to try something different for my plants. I normally have my raised beds that I grow all my plants in, and was going to use a local garden club to grow some other ones but once they found out I was growing super hots they said no to me growing there... 

I've been using these beds to grow over the past 10 years and I want to give them a break, so I'm going the fabric pot route. I'll be using the 7 gallon pots from greenhouse megastore. I use their 5 gallon pots for a few of my plants right now to see if there is any difference at all in growing trends. I've figured up how much soil I will need and it equates to 105.994 cu ft. of soil to fill 100 of the 7 gallon grow bags. The soil itself will be a mixture of 2 cu yards of mushroom compost, 2 cu yards of fine top soil, 1 cu yard of river sand, and 2 bags of pearlite the large 3 sq ft bags. 

The thinking behind all of this is to give my raised beds a break and so I will be able to really get them ready for growing great plants again, I replenish them every year, but I feel it's time to give them some rest! 10 years of back to back growing has have to taken its toll on the dirt. A good dose of compost, beneficial bacteria and fungi, as well as more pearlite!

I've made a list of peppers I'll be growing next year but would love some suggestions for great super hots that may be coming out or you've tried and had great success! So here's the list to look over. And as always, anyone in the Chattanooga area in TN who wants some pods or seeds or just wants to come visit the garden let me know!

Three plants each of these species will be grown out, I may even use some over winters from this year if I have the room. I love interesting crosses and would live to grow some you know of so post them up! I have about 20 extra 5 gallon bags if I find some other crosses that seem good.

Brown Moruga​

Choco Moruga​

Caramel Moruga​

S.S Moruga Red​

TMSB​

Red Brainstrain​

Red Primo​

Red Nagalah​

Brown Nagalah​

Brazilian Ghost Scorp​

Brazilian Brain Strain​

Sepia Serpent​

7 Pot BBG​

7 Pot Brown​

7 Pot Douglah Brown​

7 Pot Douglah Red​

UN Brainstrain​

Carolina Reaper​

Moruga UV​

Defcon 7​

Yaki Blue Fawn​

Choco Bhutlah​

B.S x Primo​

Jigsaw​

Choco Madballs 7​

7 Pot Rennie Brown​

Armageddon​

Predator​

Douglah x Bhut Assam​

7 Pot Brown x Primo​

Choco Brainstrain​

Douglah x Butch T Brn.

Jay’s Ghost Scorp​

7 Pot Savannah​

Lawrence I am using 30 of those fibers and 5 seven gallon smart pots along with 1 (15) gallon smart pot.I use some of your same mix for them.I have a glog going so keep an I out for it.I update about once a week.I used plastic pots or buckets last year and cant wait to give the new pots a shot.

I'm trying fabric "pots" this year but I'm using the $1,00 a piece reusable grocery bags from the dollar store.  I've also got a Fatalii in a 20 inch regular pot that I'm hoping will grow into a hedge bush.

I agree with Jamison.  What was their reason for not letting you grow superhots there?  Also, I have used fabric pots for the last two years and have been VERY happy with them.

Jamison said:
That wasn't very nice of them to say NO!  That's kinda prejudice if you ask me.  Not like your growing weed or something.

My wife suggested I join the community grow in my area and I told her it wouldnt be a good idea.  There are kids that frequently tag along with the parents and I didnt want to risk hurting any with my superhots.  Also, I didnt really think they would rent me a plot if I told them I was growing superhots for that reason. 

I guess this answers my question. 

Buzzman19 said:

My wife suggested I join the community grow in my area and I told her it wouldnt be a good idea.  There are kids that frequently tag along with the parents and I didnt want to risk hurting any with my superhots.  Also, I didnt really think they would rent me a plot if I told them I was growing superhots for that reason. 

I guess this answers my question. 

I'm growing all of my pepper plants in a community garden nearby, and they don't mind me growing supers.  Perhaps I got lucky?

Yeah they told me it was because ira located in a public park and if a kid or teeneger came through trying some of the peppers they may try to cause a stink, etc.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Yeah they told me it was because ira located in a public park and if a kid or teeneger came through trying some of the peppers they may try to cause a stink, etc.

I have extra seedling plants this year for Superhots and I have a neigbor asking for some.  His backyard is not fenced in and he frequently has kids passing through his yard, I cant in good concience give him superhots to grow for that reason, I know how kids are with dares and such.  Imagine a kid grabs a Carolina Reaper and dares another kid to eat one not knowing the true fierceness of this pepper.

For this reason I am only giving him Bahamian Goat, Fatalii peppers to grow.  I can give him some fresh superhot pods when mine come in, I think he understands. 

I completely understood their reasoning behind it! It makes sense really, i would never want a child or someone who did not know how hot they were to get ahold of one and that cause something, especially if someone was allergic to capsaicin especially. 

Buzzman, I would give him a plant in a pot so that he can move it inside if kids come around. I have a few around my house that ask for the supers but I always give them to their parents before I give it to them. Let their parents try it out and normally they say no to their kids having even just a bit of one.

So I've made up a rough idea of what it will look like from a sky view. Not really to scale but I'm thinking of spacing them 3 ft apart from each other. I'll be using the 7 gallon fabric pots on ground so the roots can grow into the ground if need be! But what do you guys think the best spacing would be for them?

14130891163_8bbae53b91_b.jpg

Yet again just a rough idea of how i'll do it, but it gives an idea. I've head of some people getting plants growing to 7-8 feet tall in the 7 gallon fabric pots, that may be an issue with wind, but we will figure it out!

I've never understood the stance that some growers take with regard to not growing superhots when there is a possibility that children might:

1. trespass on your property
2. commit theft of property
3. consume an item of unknown origin

When I was a child and old enough to roam without direct parental supervision I had already been instilled with enough common sense to know that the three things I listed above were wrong.

My garden is not fenced and if some teenager steals one of my pods then the consequences are solely on them.  It will be one hell of a lesson.

"I've made a terrible mistake".   :hot:

Another reason they might not want superhots in a community growing area would be the potential for crosses that result in unpredictable results for any seeds conserved for the following year.

KingLeerUK said:
Another reason they might not want superhots in a community growing area would be the potential for crosses that result in unpredictable results for any seeds conserved for the following year.

I never thought of that as a reason.  But it is indeed the only one that would make sense to me!

I had extensive talks with them but they always came back to children eating the pods... So I just left it at that, They even just fenced in all the plots with deer fencing to make it harder for deer to get crops, hell kids couldn't get through there. But I'll grow at home this year and next....

You may have something on the crossing, I told them I'd be using cloth netting to mitigate that as much as possible but oh well!

I see you don't have the SB7J on the list.

Not stable yet, but hits you in the mouth like a blowtorch, then gone almost as quick.

At least the pods I got did.

Excellent for newbies.

"OMG CALL 911!!!!!""
hey---wait a minute.

Can I try another?

Back