• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NH Jalapeños 2019 (Runty Lives)

Runty Lives! He's had a rough winter under the Aerogarden lights, but he's finally adapting well and setting fruit.
DSCN9966.JPG

Runty's first born (Junior) has had a great run in the Aerogarden. This will be our third harvest from Junior.
DSCN9965.JPG

Three seed starting experiments and the lone Cayenne from last summer. The seeds were started under the the AG lights and ran into problems. I had to replace the lights last year and I think there's something wrong with the replacements. Regardless, moving the starts into the window has done all three a world of good.
DSCN9963.JPG

And finally, after seeing all your 2019 starts flood my inbox, I started my own 2019 yesterday. Might be a little early, but screw it, let's see what happens. My original plan was to wait till mid March, but I'll do another round then too. 5 Banana Peppers, 4 Hungarian Hot Wax, and 5 Jalapeños (Runty seeds).
DSCN9962.JPG

so it begins.png

CaneDog said:
Cold frame's looking great TG.  And so are those red pods inside.

Thanks CD. As always I'm amazed I can get anything to grow and even more amazed at ripe pods. Don't know what I'm going to do with that one ripe jala and 3-4 cayennes, but if nothing else they're nice to look at.

Some quick notes while I'm typing:

The 3oz cups are a little small but seem to be doing ok and I can fit 15 of them in a shoebox. The plants are small(ish) and require frequent watering.

The pepsi bottles are turning out to be a great size. I can fit at least 8 into a shoebox maybe 11. The plants look good and don't require as much attention. I'll probably leave them in the bottles till the end of May just to see how they do. The only problem is they're top heavy in the current config and I put them in the West window to start which wasn't great light. Both of those problems are my fault / live and learn. Next time I'll just use the bottom half of the bottle and stick 'em in the East window.

The Aerogarden plants were started a month after everything else and are strong and amazing. Definiately the #1 method. The only drawback is limited number of plants as I don't like the "seed starting tray". The holes on those trays are far too close together and they render the pump useless.

timegoat said:
Pot up is delayed due to weather. Last week was a nice highs in the 60s lows around 50. This week highs around 50, lows in the 30s. Guess I'll just keep putting them out in the day and taking them in at night.
i hear you. i`m in southern CT and its going down to 35 degrees tonight. i have some planted outside already and i will have to cover them up just for a little protection. 

Hardening off is over and everything that's getting bigger shoes for May has been potted up and somehow nearly everything fits on one shelf of the cold frame. Night time temps will be in the 40s for the next week so I'm obviously concerned, but they should survive.

The 3oz cups were very root bound (expected) but that made them easier to get out of the cups and into something slightly bigger. The Aero plants are looking great and have survived their first night outside with dirty feet. Best of all, everything is now getting a taste of my own compost which served so well last year. Nothing left to do now but keep 'em watered till Memorial Day weekend... and pay attention for a late freeze, in which case everything is coming inside for the night.

DSCN8462.jpg

Was a busy weekend. Got most potted up for the season. I have three sizes of containers: 3gal, #3 (~2.5gal), and #2 (~2.1gal). The 3gal are our oldest and we know they work well for our conditions. The #3s were sold as 3gal but they're not so I'm gonna use them anyway and see how they do.  The #2s might have been a mistake as far as peppers go, but we're going to find out this year.

I have more plants than container mix so this might be it. I think I can pot up a few more, but won't have a chance to find out for another week or so.

DSCN8493.jpg

The current potted up tally is:

9 - Jalapeno
5 - Banana Peppers
4 - Hungarian Hot Wax
1 - Cayenne
1 - Mini Sweet

Most have been moved to their final locations. I have a rogue sapling to cut down before I can get the HHWs in their spot.

Got the last of the Jalapenos potted up today. That makes one dozen plus Runty.

The plants that were started in 3oz cups are all doing surprisingly well. Growth is good and they're starting to bud. I've been toying with the idea of nipping buds until July 1st for a couple of years now and this year I am doing just that. We're really only guaranteed one harvest so I'm hoping this will help the plant grow before pods slow it down. Also, the weather in June here is not great for peppers anyway. We get some hot days, mostly cool nights (around 50ºF), and lots of rain. Nipping buds might give the plants time to acclimate as well.

The Aerogarden 5 are not adjusting very well. They're blooming and setting pods, but they just don't look good. It's probably the weather and there ain't a thing I can do about that, so good luck to them. I am not nipping buds on them. Just gonna let 'em roll as is and see what happens.

Bananas, Hungarians, Sweet, and Cayenne are all doing well. Bananas and Hungarians are getting nipped in the bud till July too.

Every now and then I feel a little panic set in and then I remember my sig.

Mr.joe said:
Should get a sizable harvest. All looks good

Thanks. We usually do better than I think we will.

CaneDog said:
Hopefully the weather kicks it into gear for you asap. Looking forward to seeing all those guys tall and wide and podded up!

It should at the end of June into July. The weather here is notoriously unpredictable, but we typically always have July, Aug, and Sept for good growth. As for right now, we're looking at a week of overcast and showers. Temps should be ok, so that's very good.

I should be able to get some good pics soon. We had a baby last year, so updates and photos are low on the priority list. I hope he like peppers.

No peppers for baby for at least 1 year! On that note my little guy (18 months) got his first taste of some salsa before we could stop him. I got him some milk right away, took it like a champ and didn't cry.
Congrats on your little guy enjoy they don't stay young for long

Snuck out before Mrs. and Jr. Timegoat woke up yesterday to take some pics only to find out I'd used up my upload limit. Went extreme. I've totally received $35 worth of education from this site.

The Aerogarden 5

DSCN8556.JPG

DSCN8558.JPG

Aerogarden close up

DSCN8559.JPG

DSCN8562.JPG

The 3oz cup group + Runty

DSCN8560.JPG

The boy has tasted tiny amounts of heat and was unfazed. He's had a taste of weak pepper jack cheese and a bit of a spicy pickle. I'm so proud of him.

timegoat said:
Our first week of good temps has finally arrived.
:woohoo: Alright! It's great to see a little sun, for sure!

Glad to see you have turned the corner to 'summer'!

timegoat said:
Snuck out before Mrs. and Jr. Timegoat woke up yesterday to take some pics only to find out I'd used up my upload limit. Went extreme. I've totally received $35 worth of education from this site.
I agree. The price is right. It's worth the cost just
to be able to upload pics directly. The free, usually
good advice (see Sri Lanka Red Growdown thread
for the best examples) is icing on the cake!

timegoat said:
 We had a baby last year, so updates and photos are low on the priority list. I hope he like peppers.

Hey, congratulations, TG!

PaulG said:
:woohoo: Alright! It's great to see a little sun, for sure!

Glad to see you have turned the corner to 'summer'!

I agree. The price is right. It's worth the cost just
to be able to upload pics directly. The free, usually
good advice (see Sri Lanka Red Growdown thread
for the best examples) is icing on the cake!

Hey, congratulations, TG!

Thanks to all for the congrats. He's a good boy...so far.

It's only been a few days of over 55º nights and all plants are already showing improvement. I'll sneak out again one of these mornings and get pics of the all the plants. I saw on a thread last year someone using the high tech "Beer Can Method of Tracking Plant Height", thought I might give that a try myself. I'd give credit where it's due but I can't remember who was doing it.

I'm a fan of the 2 throwdown threads I've followed (this year and last year's). I especially like the advice of topping them below the starter leaves or spraying the foliage with vinegar. I'm rather fond of smartassery.

The Hungarians are looking pretty good considering they get the least light of all the plants... or do they? Gonna have to pay closer attention to what time they're in shade.

DSCN8587.JPG

DSCN8588.JPG

DSCN8589.JPG

DSCN8590.JPG

Just took a peek at page 1 of last year's glog. We are in much better shape this year. Last year I started here on July 9th after repotting everything due to stupid self inflicted drainage issues. Even with all the rain and cold this year's plants are a world away from last year. So glad I found this joint and started a glog last year, otherwise I would be stressing about timing and progress. I'm stressing no longer.

I can't wait to see how Runty's sole ripe pod last year produces this year. All of this year's Jalapenos come from that single pepper. His pods were small and light on heat, but very very tasty. I don't know if I'll be able to over winter him again, but we're far from making that decision now.

DSC_6094.jpg
Runty 2018

Back