• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nip in the bud

Hi Guys n Gals, is it best to nip the buds off prior to the flower opening, or after they open? How long should i nip them off for??

Cheers, Ian

I know what they say, but I'm trying it both ways this season to see for myself.

So far I have noticed the plants without the pods are growing out faster than the ones with. Now the ones with buds seem to be doing just fine i.e. "growing up and branching out". So far it looks like the tipping point are ones with pods. I would let them grow up/out first before allowing the pods to develop. Usually you won't see pods develop during a real hot spell, they like it upper 70's low 80's F.

Hi Ian, how big are your plants now? How have they been coping with the heat?

Hi Ezzer, I have them in pots and move them around to catch the morning & afternoon sun & under cover when we get a down pour. I started out with over 50 plants ( from seeds ) and have 14 left. Alot of the seeding lings did not do anything after getting their send/third sets of leaves. I have had infestations of aphids as well. My TS started off the strongest & I now only have 3 left & they are not hardly growing - although they look fairly healthy. It is the Fataali's that are doing the best.

I believe it is the grownig medium & a lack of drainage. Even though water drains thru the pots after watering the soil stays damp for days & because of this I am paranoid to water them too often. Things have started to improve now we are in the "dry" season & get some breezy days.

How is your crop coming along?

Hi Ian, how big are your plants now? How have they been coping with the heat?

Hi Ezzer, I have them in pots and move them around to catch the morning & afternoon sun & under cover when we get a down pour. I started out with over 50 plants ( from seeds ) and have 14 left. Alot of the seeding lings did not do anything after getting their send/third sets of leaves. I have had infestations of aphids as well. My TS started off the strongest & I now only have 3 left & they are not hardly growing - although they look fairly healthy. It is the Fataali's that are doing the best.

Plants vary from 4" to 20" tall. All seeds germinated end of march, early april.

I believe it is the grownig medium & a lack of drainage. Even though water drains thru the pots after watering the soil stays damp for days & because of this I am paranoid to water them too often. Things have started to improve now we are in the "dry" season & get some breezy days.

Ok so when people say pinch off buds, how exactly do they pinch them off?:

right at the stem where the flower stem starts or simply the terminal point of each flower stem to stop the flower forming??

Plants vary from 4" to 20" tall. All seeds germinated end of march, early april.

I've got pods forming on my Annuums, I don't bother to pinch flowers.

I tried many things to protect them from the sun, it's been well over 100F every day for 2 months. Now they're under a 70 % shade cloth in full sun all day and things seem to be working. Fingers crossed!

It's hot today! Under the net it's 97F
DSC00099.jpg

Some new starts.
DSC00100.jpg

If you need any seeds take a look at my grow list I've got some spare.

Good luck

Back