• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

No Country for Old Men

I saw this last night and can't get it out of my head. This may be the best Coen's Bros. movie yet and I think that is saying a lot with their track record.

Fantastic film. Great story telling and wonderful performances from nearly everyone in the movie. This maybe the best movie I've seen in the last 10 year. Really, it's that good.If you're squeamish, keep in mind that this is a real bloodbath but man, the story is really the thing here and does it ever stick with you.

There was ZERO music in the film which was a nice touch...really helped build the tension in some scenes.

This is an instant American classic.

SEE THIS MOVIE ASAP!!!

chuk hell said:
This may be the best Coen's Bros. movie yet

That is one HELL of an endorsement, no pun intended. I've been dying to see it myself, just too busy trying to get ready to wrap up the year.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but what are your next 3 Coen Bros. favorites - for reference.

dreamtheatervt said:
Not to sidetrack this thread, but what are your next 3 Coen Bros. favorites - for reference.

It tends to fluctuate but at the moment I'd say...

Miller's Crossing

Blood Simple

and...a tie for 3rd

The Man Who Wasn't There/Barton Fink

I guess I like their darker stuff over their comedies but I like those too.

PS,

I haven't seen Hudsucker or Intolerable cruelness

Well, I waited to see this because I knew I was going to end up buying it simply because it's a Coen Bros. movie.

It's freaking awesome. Javier Bardem definately earned his Oscar, if I had nightmares, his character would be in them. Definately one of the best movie villians ever.

You won't know where this movie takes you until you get there. Glad I bought it, its definately worth a few views.

It is!

Haven't seen NCFOM yet, but will watch it this week. I also like Fargo a lot and The Big Lebowski of course!

I don't know if this will make sense, but the way I think No Country For Old Men is a better movie than The Big Lebowski, but The Big Lebowski is a much more "replayable" movie (I wouldn't be exagerating if I said I've seen it at least 100 times). Matter of fact, The Big Lebowski might be the most replayable movie of all time.

I watched it this week and thought Tommy Lee did a fantastic job...its good to see a Texas boy do well in a "Texas" film...

Chuk...you ever been down in that country below Alpine and around that area? I swear I have been the same places that were shown in some of the scenery....

no wonder I thought the territory was familiar...last time I went to Colorado I went thru Las Vegas....dang what a road and the I had the truck on cruise control at 90 and was being passed...we took 104 out of Tucumcari to Las Vegas then back down to Sante Fe...beautiful country..

the ending leaves it open for a sequal...

I don't think the ending is about leaving it open to a sequel. It's based on a book of the same title by Cormac McCarthy. I haven't read it, but something tells me the Coen Bros. tried to do the book justice. I like the ending and here's why (I'll be vague so I don't give anything away to people who haven't seen it):

1) It's not expected
2) It makes you uneasy
3) In the scope of the movie, it really makes sense. Its what you expect from the characters.
4) It perfectly shows why Tommy Lee Jones character's feels the way he does at the end of the movie.

I suspect that my reasons 1 & 2 are probably why you find the ending so-so, but I won't put words in anyones mouth...I'm open for debate.

I was kindof hoping Tommy lee jones would do somethin... with ya know his deputy bein strangled and the guy escapes you'd think there'd be a manhunt after him.. or thats just my canuck views on Texas or w/e.

Story dwelled, action was alright, Could've done alot more i'd say.

but Way better than that horrid Hitman movie.. that was pure drivel

Back