• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

No frills beginners luck growing?

So, I got into the idea of growing a few peppers this year for
giggles right? Asked around, bought a few seeds and filled up two seedling
trays with seeds (18 varietes, 146 cells planted) so a little over enthusiastic for
starting out. I have almost zero gardening knowledge and even fewer resources.
I used something called "Seed starting Jiffy-mix" I found at Wal-Mart added 2-3 seeds
per cell, + water + sunlight. I stuck both trays in a window and decided to see what happened.

It's only been about a week and a half but I'm starting to freak out with all these
Glogs here. Seems like everyone works for NASA and brings that technology to
growing peppers.
I've seen space blankets, artificial light, heating pads, food crystals, donut shaped
pest baits, towels, whole spare bedrooms...AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Clearly my peppers won't grow without at least a $5,000 investment and maybe 3 different
professional gardeners.

So, seriously- does anyone here just throw their seeds in a window and water every now and then and actually grow plants anymore? I don't have the funds to do anything else with them, I was thinking they should be just fine and all but with all the tech bouncing around in here I'm starting to worry. Reassurance anyone?

I'm about as low tech as they come on here, although I don't grow in the size and scope as many of our members ( who are admittedly much more successful and knowledgeable than I am.) .

Right now I have my starts that aren't ready to be potted yet in a carbdoard box lined with aluminum foil, with a cheapo flourescent light on them and they're doing just fine. They're just not going to be ready as quickly as if say, I had some t8's or t5's shining down on them.

Besides, when you're starting your superhots in November/December, they need some help by way of heat/light.

I'm new to this stuff also and can relate to what you are saying. It can be overwhelming. There are some really cool people that have helped me on this site. Best way for info is ask to be their friend and if they accept then you are good to go. I just read the forums and if something jumps out to me I'll contact them. There are some pretty down to earth people at this site and most if not all will help and if they don't know they can point you to a person that might know. I myself am a techno dinosaur. Anyway I hope that helps you and best of luck--us newbies need it.

Hi Mr. Z. I'm a first time Bhut Jolokia pepper and (maybe I'm lucky) 80% of my seeds have sprout. I don't have a lot of money to put on growing stuff either.

First with the germination problem : If you water too much, your seeds will just not sprout (the embryo inside will die).

Your soil must be ''warm'' if you want germination to occur. For the Bhuts ideal temperature is between 80-87 degrees (somebody, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't own a heating pad, because I can't find one anywhere in stores. (some people use a pad for reptiles, so look in a pet shop but still, it's gonna cost around 50$)
I keep my soil warm by putting my seeding tray on ...... a slow cooker :
64078_3327032905863_1569650647_32935259_1343388342_a.jpg

Some put the tray on top of an old reprigerator.... Anything warm and constant should do it.

When they start hooking from the soil, I hit them hard and heavy with the lights.... With a normal, cheap shop light with 2 neons....40w- spectrum 6500 k (daylight)....
424221_3386929323236_1569650647_32957900_452230681_n.jpg

That's where I'm at for the moment (less than 3 weeks after placing seeds in soil :
430262_3400787709687_1569650647_32965222_1261546060_n.jpg

I use a very light seed starting mix so the roots can grow as they like to. Your seed starting mix sounds fine to me.

I water every day from the top, when the top soil is dry. Peppers seem to like a more dry soil than to humid. (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, that's pretty much all I know for now about growing hot peppers. I hope it helped a bit. For more advanced questions, I can't help you yet. Don't be afraid to ask for anything!

I have almost zero gardening knowledge either.... stick with those guys and they will make growing fun and easy!

Marc

Here is the deal brotha, most of the super hot varieties need to be started months in advance if you expect to get fruit on them outdoors. (Unless you live down near the equator and your growing season is longer) So to do this, we as chile lovers and growers, want to give the plants what they need to grow as big and badass as they can. (I'm sure you want this of your pants right?) So some of us go to extremes others just do what is necessary.

So a lot of the things you are seeing, are measures taken to try and make this happen. A lot of chiles in the HOT to Super HOT range need add care. Higher temps for germination. (that's why you see seed warming mats) Starting plants so early (growing life of these varieties are between 120-180 days from seed to fruit) You see fans on them because when inside they need to have a strong stem for when you plant out, if you don't use a fan and then plant them out, they will be weak and won't produce as big of a harvest.

When you're trying to grow some serious chiles and you want to ensure you get a plant that fruits as well as good yield, then you have to take certain measures. These chiles are rare and hard to come by fresh pods. So if you don't do it right and get youself a nice harvest, you will be paying a premium for the pods later on.

We just want to see them grow big and strong. To do this, most need more than a windowsill and some watering. Not to say that it can't be done, but we like to give them the best chances possible. If you get creative, you can come up with a nice little grow area for relatively cheap. CFL bulbs are cheap, two 65w bulbs that will put out a total of 5500 lumens are 9.00 bucks a piece at Menards. A ballast and spliter for them is around 10.00 a small fan is 5 at a local thrift store, emergency blankets or mylar wrapping paper or aluminum foil is around 5 bucks to get you started. Some soil and basic ferts are about 20.00 bucks. Materials to build a 2x3x4 box are around 15.00. Timers are 3.98-5.98 at walmart.

Add all of these things up and you can get a decent set up for around 70 bucks. Even cheaper if you get creative and look around for deals. This will get you going nice and strong until they can be planted out in the spring. You don't need 5,000 bucks and 3 gardeners. You just need a plan, some research, some shop savvy, a little love and help from friends you will meet on THP :)

If you need any help or have any questions. Shoot me a PM and I will do my best for ya. Or just post the question in the grow forum and there will be at least a handful of knowledgeable growers that will give you answers. GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: 65w CFL's are a little over 5000 lumens a piece at 9 bucks a pop...Not total.

I started off almost exactly the same way as you a few years ago only interested in growing peppers so I can get a hot hot sauce that I can enjoy.

A few things I realized was that because I really didn't plan and research how to grow peppers my yield of peppers was pretty low and pathetic although I had 150 plants. Plus I actually spent about 300% more time trying to care for them than I do now. It's amazing how little you can do to get twice as many peppers for all your work and effort if you simply under stand what peppers want to make them thrive.

Fast forward a few years and a lot of understanding an research later and surprisingly I spend a LOT less time, only have 20 plants. What is a bigger surprise is I actually end up with about 10 times as many fresh peppers last year with 20 plants than I did my first year with 150!!

Like they say if you fail to plan you plan to fail.

I would think that growing Orchids is an art and requires alot of knowledge? As for peppers pending on where you live, birds that eat them and deficate the seeds and said seeds grow, there's your answer. To specialize in a variety or taking it to the next level as in the hottest etc (who cares) unless that's your intent, carry on and enjoy!!!

You gotta remember that some of those grow logs out there are from people who are growing with some sort of commercial interest, be it selling plants, seeds, pods, powders, or some combination therein. If, like me, you're just in it for the joy of growing something and possibly getting some hot peppers along the way, then there really isn't any reason to get all that dedicated into all that expensive stuff.

I will warn you though, it is highly addictive, and you'll have to have some strong will power not to spend all that money. :snooty:

Hi Mr. Z. I'm a first time Bhut Jolokia pepper and (maybe I'm lucky) 80% of my seeds have sprout. I don't have a lot of money to put on growing stuff either.

First with the germination problem : If you water too much, your seeds will just not sprout (the embryo inside will die).

Your soil must be ''warm'' if you want germination to occur. For the Bhuts ideal temperature is between 80-87 degrees (somebody, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't own a heating pad, because I can't find one anywhere in stores. (some people use a pad for reptiles, so look in a pet shop but still, it's gonna cost around 50$)
I keep my soil warm by putting my seeding tray on ...... a slow cooker :
64078_3327032905863_1569650647_32935259_1343388342_a.jpg

Some put the tray on top of an old reprigerator.... Anything warm and constant should do it.

When they start hooking from the soil, I hit them hard and heavy with the lights.... With a normal, cheap shop light with 2 neons....40w- spectrum 6500 k (daylight)....
424221_3386929323236_1569650647_32957900_452230681_n.jpg

That's where I'm at for the moment (less than 3 weeks after placing seeds in soil :
430262_3400787709687_1569650647_32965222_1261546060_n.jpg

I use a very light seed starting mix so the roots can grow as they like to. Your seed starting mix sounds fine to me.

I water every day from the top, when the top soil is dry. Peppers seem to like a more dry soil than to humid. (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, that's pretty much all I know for now about growing hot peppers. I hope it helped a bit. For more advanced questions, I can't help you yet. Don't be afraid to ask for anything!

I have almost zero gardening knowledge either.... stick with those guys and they will make growing fun and easy!

Marc

Plants should be bottom watered. You run a big risk of compaction and soil erosion by top watering and also when giving fertilizer you can get it on the plant's leaves and they could get fert burn. I recommend changing your watering methods. If you water from the bottom, the water will still get to the top. ;) Everything else sounds great. I like the idea of the slow cooker, veeeeery clever.

I would think that growing Orchids is an art and requires alot of knowledge? As for peppers pending on where you live, birds that eat them and deficate the seeds and said seeds grow, there's your answer. To specialize in a variety or taking it to the next level as in the hottest etc (who cares) unless that's your intent, carry on and enjoy!!!

This is funny to hear from someone who lives in Toronto. I don't know about Orchids (I'm sure somewhere in the wild mother nature is taking care of the life cycle of Orchids as well) but growing CHILES is an art. I know you stated "Depending where you live" but I don't live in Trinidad, the Caribbeans or anywhere near the coast...so unless you are talking about Jalapenos, Serranos, bell peppers or some other Annum. Then some preparation, a whole lot of knowledge and practice is necessary to grow most hot/super hot varieties out to good size plants with a decent harvest.

Back when I first started gardening, I just took a few Habanero seeds and planted them in the spring, watered and let nature take it's coarse......well, I think I got about 5 wimpy peppers on that plant and it was about 8 inches tall at the end of the growing season. So unless you take it seriously and know your stuff. You are going to either get nothing or be completely disappointed. And if we are talking about super hots....most places there is NO way you are going to just plant them, water and let mother nature run it's coarse. You might grow a plant but the chances of having any chiles on them is slim to nil. If you do get a few, they won't have enough time to mature or ripen.

Again, I don't know about those Orchids....but I like to think I know a little bit about chiles...and anyone who takes the time to learn something about them is going to be a smarter person for doing so.

"Plants should be bottom watered. You run a big risk of compaction and soil erosion by top watering and also when giving fertilizer you can get it on the plant's leaves and they could get fert burn. I recommend changing your watering methods. If you water from the bottom, the water will still get to the top. ;) Everything else sounds great. I like the idea of the slow cooker, veeeeery clever."

Well said.

I have to invest in some trays.

So, I got into the idea of growing a few peppers this year for
giggles right? Asked around, bought a few seeds and filled up two seedling
trays with seeds (18 varietes, 146 cells planted) so a little over enthusiastic for
starting out. I have almost zero gardening knowledge and even fewer resources.
I used something called "Seed starting Jiffy-mix" I found at Wal-Mart added 2-3 seeds
per cell, + water + sunlight. I stuck both trays in a window and decided to see what happened.

It's only been about a week and a half but I'm starting to freak out with all these
Glogs here. Seems like everyone works for NASA and brings that technology to
growing peppers.
I've seen space blankets, artificial light, heating pads, food crystals, donut shaped
pest baits, towels, whole spare bedrooms...AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Clearly my peppers won't grow without at least a $5,000 investment and maybe 3 different
professional gardeners.

So, seriously- does anyone here just throw their seeds in a window and water every now and then and actually grow plants anymore? I don't have the funds to do anything else with them, I was thinking they should be just fine and all but with all the tech bouncing around in here I'm starting to worry. Reassurance anyone?

you will be fine..
This is the first year for growing anyting for me.. i sprouted seeds a few ways. the easiest was just some soil with a few seeds at various depths (because i wanted to see for myself how deep is to deep, within reason of course) all sprouted. i left the plastic cup i had them in ontop of a wireless modem i had.
after that it was put in the window in the dead of winter.. not alot of light at all. They are growing.. may not be as strong as most others but certainly not dead.
Right now all are sitting in more southernly window getting whatever sun comes through daily.. unless i forget to open the shutters.
i guess what im saying is it can be done without all you descibed above.

I don't live in Trinidad, the Caribbeans or anywhere near the coast...so unless you are talking about Jalapenos, Serranos, bell peppers or some other Annum. Then some preparation, a whole lot of knowledge and practice is necessary to grow most hot/super hot varieties out to good size plants with a decent harvest.

And if we are talking about super hots....most places there is NO way you are going to just plant them, water and let mother nature run it's coarse. You might grow a plant but the chances of having any chiles on them is slim to nil. If you do get a few, they won't have enough time to mature or ripen.

BINGO!

You have to try to replicate the tropical climate in which these peppers live in order to get a decent harvest. I'm not into spending a whole growing season taking care of a plant to get 4 or 5 measly peppers off it.

Certain varieties do grow well outside temperate climates, but the vast majority do best in tropical/sub-tropical climates. The length of the going season in particular is the most important part of getting the plants to produce. A plant full of unripe frost bitten pods is no good to anyone.

Hey Mr Z., I like you am new to super hot pepper growing. I started quite a bit smaller than you and did 6 of Bhut Jolokia, and 6 of Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T". I planted the seeds on 3/13, put them in my "grow hut made out of an old kitchen cabinet using a heating coil wire on the bottom, and a heat mat under my burpee xl growing station, I achieved germination today, 7 days after planting. I hope I did everything right and will have happy, strong plants as they grow. Good luck and I hope you get some scorchers!

They will grow slow in a window sill, especially in January. It's worth investing in a shop light or CFLs. I spent only 17 dollars on my shop light (including the lights I use for it) and 10 dollars on another light. I also use a sunny closet to help.

Hi Mr Z!

I'm new to this too, but it's really surprised me how "into this" i'm getting!
Like you, i was going to just grab some seeds, shove in the windowsill and water....which is pretty much the plan overall, but as it's heading into winter here i DID invest in a second hand fluorescent light (for the sum of $20!) as it's going to be dark / gloomy days here soon, and i wanted to give them a good start.
You can go real high tech if you feel the need, but from what i can gather, a bit of light + warmth + water + love is also sufficient!
Best of luck, and don't forget to start a glog! :)
Neil

I will warn you though, it is highly addictive...

Ain't that the truth!!? My wife thinks i've gone mad..lol

"Plants should be bottom watered. You run a big risk of compaction and soil erosion by top watering and also when giving fertilizer you can get it on the plant's leaves and they could get fert burn. I recommend changing your watering methods. If you water from the bottom, the water will still get to the top. ;) Everything else sounds great. I like the idea of the slow cooker, veeeeery clever."

Well said.

I have to invest in some trays.

Thanks for the tip! I will water from bottom as soon as I transplant them!

And another addiction has started. :D

Cant wait till next year Nee, you will be tapping on Grants door for some more variety's.

Mezo.
Hahah! Funny you should say that! I noticed last night that Grant gave me some Bhut Jolokia Assam that i missed when i planted the others....so they went in today!

So, seriously- does anyone here just throw their seeds in a window and water every now and then and actually grow plants anymore?

That's my plan. I had pretty good luck with habs a few years ago just using the peat pots and good weather. A warm spot to help germinate the seeds is needed, but the top of most fridges will work for that.

But, admittedly, if I had more space and time, I'd totally MacGyver up a rig with CO2 and grow lights and such, just for the fun of it. And the harder you work at it the more you learn, the better your crop, and the more fun it is

Back