• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

No heat Super Hots

Below I've listed the hots that I know of that are mild/no heat. Am I missing anything on the list that already exists? What would be the most desirable to add that isn't already available? If you were interested in making any of the hots, not hot what would it be?

Suave Hab
Zavory Hab
Aji Dulce Hab
TS Sweet
T Perfume

There are lots more. I'll see if I can find my lists
Most of the time heatless C. chinenses taste pretty much like bell peppers, but there are a few exceptions

Well yes, but I want to know about very hot peppers with the pun1 gene. That is, everything else about them should be the same, but they shouldn't be hot. The advantage being that you could grow them with the regular versions then make powder or sauce with differant ratios of the hot and not hot versions to determin the relative heat.

Hmm, how about the Trinidad perfume? I haven't grown those, but I heard they don't have much heat. I wonder how the flavor is. I really wish I could have a lot the flavors I enjoy for people who can't tolerate a fraction of the heat.

Edit: Opps, that one was on the list. I'm wondering about the flavor of that variety though!

Yea I'd be very interested in anyone's opinion of each of these strains, particularly how close their flavor is to their hot counterpart

"Seasoning" chinenses should be good flavor-wise.
There are some:

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=seasoning&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

i'm gonna try the Tobago Seasoning next year if i find some seeds.

Cya

Datil

my perfumes have very little to no heat and have a great C.Chinense smell. the flavor is more like a bell i think, without the heat to back it up, the Chinense flavor gets lost. still a great pepper tho. i'm trying some out as pickles.

I've tried many sources of Trinidad seasoning, Tobago seasoning, and Aji dulces, and every one was very different, some very hot, some very bland. I'd recommend getting seeds from someone who can tell you how their particular variety grows and tastes. I personally was not impressed with any.
My favs are Chupetinha which has a bit of a chinense taste that makes you think the heat is coming, and Murupi doce which had a nice unique flavor but never produced well for me

So thats very interesting, I would assume that the taste would be separate from the heat. Since the gene pun1 only blocks the capsaicinoid synthesis pathway. Everything involved with flavor should still be there. Yet, you all are reporting the opposite so it must be the case. I wonder if there is flavor from the capsaicinoids other than the sensation of heat.

i would keep in mind the effects of capsaicin oil to our taste buds. it may not have any flavor itself, but can change the way we percieve other flavors.

I was also looking into some of the low heat types that were mentioned. I wonder if they have a gene that is resulting in lower capsaicin oil production. Maybe if the gene is blocking production of capsaicin you get no flavor but if a gene lowers the production of capsaicin the flavor is preserved? or would you say that the flavor is reduced by the same degree that the heat is?

my perfumes have very little to no heat and have a great C.Chinense smell. the flavor is more like a bell i think, without the heat to back it up, the Chinense flavor gets lost. still a great pepper tho. i'm trying some out as pickles.

so if those perfumes were used to make a sauce or paste with a trinidad scorpion, say 1/4 TS to 50 perfume do you think the result would be better than using a bunch of red, yellow, orange bells and then adding some trinidad scorpion to that?

I've been very interested in growing these non-hot varieties but the grocery store has bell peppers, and they are cheaper and bigger. So if all I'm going to get is some tiny bell peppers, I'll focus on something else.

Are there any redeeming qualities to these types?

I always imagined a heatless fatalii, but I don't think its really possible to keep the flavor. Heat seems to somehow affect flavor

Hmm, maybe they are mixed with bells and just didn't inherit the c. chinese flavor.

I considered this, and i expect that it could be the case for some varieties. However the Suave Hab, both orange and red were created at NMSU. I cant imagine that they didnt do the necessary back crosses into a regular habanero to get every part of the genome other than the Pun1 gene to be habanero. They also reported another gene lov which turns out to be an alternative mutation producing the same phenotype as pun1 and its at the same locus. That gene is originally from C. chinense, so using that one wouldn't even require back crossing.

I always imagined a heatless fatalii, but I don't think its really possible to keep the flavor. Heat seems to somehow affect flavor

hmm maybe its worth a try though...

so if those perfumes were used to make a sauce or paste with a trinidad scorpion, say 1/4 TS to 50 perfume do you think the result would be better than using a bunch of red, yellow, orange bells and then adding some trinidad scorpion to that?

I've been very interested in growing these non-hot varieties but the grocery store has bell peppers, and they are cheaper and bigger. So if all I'm going to get is some tiny bell peppers, I'll focus on something else.

Are there any redeeming qualities to these types?

i am not a sauce maker, yet. but would tend to think the water content of peppers changes a sauce's flavor, consistencey, or recipe to counter. C. Chinense predominently have thin wall flesh where as a bell is very thick and full of moisture. so does a thin walled chile have a more concentrated flavor by weight or does it even matter? try it and see...

Back